Grand Canyon lodging decision

Old Jun 10th, 2004, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Grand Canyon lodging decision

I've read a few posts here and elsewhere on lodging inside the park and there seem to be some pretty diverse opinions.

Many folks like Bright Angel because of the rim proximity, but the cons say the cabin walls are so paper thin so can hear everything and there's too much bustle in the lodge. Plus the shared bath situation is no good. I haven't heard much about Yavapai except that it's location is not on the rim and it's a little quieter than the rim lodges.

We're going October 20-22 and we booked Yavapai, but reconsidering.
-how long would it take to walk to the rim from Yavapai
-would we be better off at a rim lodge
We're not bringing the kids, so it's just me and hubby.

Any comments? Thanks much for your help!
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 12:54 PM
OliveOyl

There is a Bright Angel Lodge as well as Bright Angel cabins. We stayed in the cabins and LOVED them. Could it be the lodge with the thin wall issue? We didn't have a problem in the cabin. We had two adjoining cabins for 4 of us, and each had their own bathroom with shower. This was an ideal location, close to most of the better dining and less than two minute walk to the rim and the Bright Angel trailhead.

We weren't as organized for our trip this past Thanksgiving. By the time everyone had their dates figured out, Bright Angel was completely booked and Yavapi was the only park facility with availability. It was a drive to the major trailheads as well as any dining other than the cafeteria there. The room was very nice, (nicer than Bright Angel) but we prefer the Bright Angel location hands down. Yavapi seems to be the last to fill usually, most likely because of their location, so if you have an option for a Bright Angel cabin still, I would jump on it! They are rustic, but it's perfect for the Grand Canyon.

Old Jun 10th, 2004, 01:22 PM

Two other options are Thunderbird and Kachina Lodges, both next door to Bright Angel and located right on the rim. Accommodations are similar to what you'd have at Yavapai.

Old Jun 10th, 2004, 02:33 PM

keep trying...people always cancel...I prefer thunderbird...but that is just me...some cabins just circle the parking lot...and a few front the rim...view is awesome..ask for one of those..others back from the rim about fast 15 minute walk..more like 20... shared baths are the Bright Angel Lodge not cabins as OO says......plus the rests. are right there...Bright Angel,Steakhouse and El Tovar..and a lounge at BA...also El T has one too...
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 03:25 PM

Maswik lodge is very close to the rim.
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 04:48 PM

We just returned from a stay at the Grand Canyon and stayed in one of The Bright Angel Cabins that had a private bath. We did not have a problem with thin walls. The cabins are very basic, but the location was terrific. To be able to walk a few steps and see the sunrise and sunset was a plus, also the Bright Angel trailhead is right there. We thorougly enjoyed our stay and would stay on a return visit again at the Bright Angel cabins.

Also, I suggest you make a dinner reservation for the El Tovar dining room - wonderful meal and experience.
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 04:27 AM

We also stayed at Bright Angel cabins - do not know about lodge, but agree with above poster. They all have private (although small) baths.

As far as "bustle" in the lodge - in the summer, the Grand Canyon lodging areas do have a lot of people - it is not a wilderness experience. However, with a short hike, or even the bus loop, you can experience the GC views without feeling like you are at Disney World. We took the bus loop from Bright Angel area on a morning in August and found ourselves mostly alone at several of the overlook stops.

Don't know how less crowded it will be in October when you go.
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice everyone! I may we may take a chance on Bright Angel after all.
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 09:03 AM
SEW

I think Bright Angel will be a good choice. I stayed in the lodge part in a room with it's own bathroom. It was a basic room. If for nothing else, the location was the best. We got up at sunrise and walked a short distance to the rim. It was well worth it.