Grand Canyon accommodations and itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2011, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need more advice for our upcoming trip to the Grand Canyon area. My husband and I are traveling with our 13 y.o. son after dropping our daughter off to start college in Colorado, so we are flying in from Denver. (And yes, I realize we are planning this a bit late, but we did not know her schedule before now!)

First question: We plan to spend August 16 and 17 at the Grand Canyon. I have been able to find 2 possible accommodations: The Yavapai Lodge East (in the Park but 1/4 mile back from the South rim) or the Best Western 1 mile outside. Price is comparable. Should I go with Yavapai b/c it is inside, even though it is not on the rim?

Second question: We are thinking about taking one of the 30-minute helicopters that flies RT from south to north rim. Has anyone done this? Is it worth it?

Third: on Aug. 18th we are planning to drive to Monument Valley; have room at Goulding's Lodge. Ideas on where to go next? We don't have time to see everything... what are the "you can't miss this!" spots? Would prefer not to spend too long each day driving and would prefer to stay away from the places that are sure to be scorchers in mid-August. Have heard Canyon de Chelly is not to be missed? Thoughts?

Thanks so much!

Diane
Old Jun 13th, 2011, 05:22 PM

Definitely stay at Yavapai. Every second that you lose each day driving from your lodging to the Canyon Rim is wasted time.
Old Jun 13th, 2011, 06:40 PM

I agree with PR--completely.

Canyon de Chelly is a fascinating place. Stay at the Holiday Inn and book a jeep tour at the gift shop there. You will be glad you did.

Nearby is the Hubbell Trading Post. If you are there on the hour you can take a fascinating guided tour of the 1906 Hubbell home.

Not far from Monument Valley is Mesa Verde--home of the most famous cliff dwellings.

And, near Mesa Verde is the lively town of Durango.

From Durango you can take one of the most beautiful loop drives in the country--through Silverton, Ouray, and Telluride back to Cortez or Durango. If you're not up to driving, take the Durango & Silverton narrow gage railroad: http://www.durangotrain.com/

This is a beautiful part of the world. Enjoy.

HTTY
Old Jun 14th, 2011, 11:36 AM

How important is it to the 13yo to have a pool? If that is KEY, then stay outside the park. It's not far. That is what I am going to do when I take my kids next year. If your teenager is ok without one, then stay in park for the experience!
Old Jun 14th, 2011, 03:05 PM

<Should I go with Yavapai b/c it is inside, even though it is not on the rim?>
YES! Being inside the park is the best. And keep checking back, b/c people book far in advance at the GC and there are therefore lots of cancellations. You may get something on the rim after all.
Old Jun 14th, 2011, 03:49 PM

Definitely go for Yavapai. The fact that it's 1/4 mile from the rim means that you have a short walk to the rim, but other than that it's as good as hotels described as on the rim.

By way of contrast, the Best Western is around 6 or 7 miles from the Rim, and you have to go through the park entrance gate as well.
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 09:27 AM

Planning a trip out there and I have been told to visit Page - specifically Antelope Canyon, float trip on Colorado River, Horseshoe Bend, and Lake Powell. We have reservations @ Bright Angel in Grand Canyon Nat Park and at The View in Monument Valley.
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 03:27 PM

We tried to get into El Tovar a few years ago and they were full, but said to call back because they have cancellations all the time. The day before we got to the canyon a room opened up . . we did have to stay one nite outside but got two at El Tovar. Great lodge and a great location
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 03:49 PM

I know several people who took the heli ride, they all loved it. If you can - do it! Will be a lifetime memory.
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 10:15 PM

Canyon de Chelly is worth seeing but you could well have hot weather there as well as Monument Valley. They call the Canyon de Chelly valley tours "Shake and Bake" tours for a good reason.

How long do you have for sightseeing after Monument Valley?

Utahtea
Old Jun 18th, 2011, 03:23 AM

In the park best by far

Might also add visitsedona.com

For me prettier less isolated than

4 corners monument valley area also cooler

Get up early to beat the heat

Always cheap best to rent a car for me there and self guide

Carrentals.com. Will be peak tourist season book quickly!
Old Jun 18th, 2011, 05:29 AM

havent been in 10 years,but when we went, the cancellation period was a week ahead of the reservation--so i kept.Make the res calling and got where we wanted at Y now and cancel later.
We headed East after our trip and stopped at Lake Powell, visiting the SOUTH antelope canyons--its a slot canyon, very unique--the whole visit takes at most 2 hours --its worth the visit.Stayed at a very nice resort on the lake,and they had a paddle wheeler for dinner cruise--really cool.If you did head East take the road aling the rim and stop a few times for the views--fantastic.My wife wouldnt ride the copter,but it looked safe to me--have fun
Old Jun 18th, 2011, 08:38 AM

Another yes for staying in the park. We stayed at Yavapai East last summer. The kids were fine without a pool for a couple of nights, and we loved being able to walk to the rim or to catch a shuttle (and not have to fight the traffic).