Graduation Travel Gift where to go??

Old May 2nd, 2002, 07:22 AM
lynn

Graduation Travel Gift where to go??

I will be graduating from college in June and my parents (and my roommate's parents) got together and are giving us a travel gift to go anywhere in the world for approximately 10 days. I'm at such a loss as to where to go. We're considering Australia and New Zealand,or maybe a Caribbean Cruse. My roommate and I have been to Europe to several major cities such as London, Paris, Rome, Florence, Madrid. Maybe we should go back to Europe, maybe somewhere remote like Fiji?? We are not into laying on the beach, more into lots of walking and meeting new people. I'd welcome suggestions as to where you'd go if you could go anywhere for approximately 10 days (give or take). We are flexible and don't have set travel dates. This is such a wonderful gift/opportunity but not sure what areas to consider. I would prefer to go out of the USA . Thanks, Lynn

Old May 2nd, 2002, 07:29 AM
yyy

Sound like the ooprtunity of a lifetime!!
I would surrender to my travel lust and go to Australia and New Zealand.
A caribean cruise??? nah you can do that ANYTIME!
Europe is so easy and affordable and you said you have done the major cities.

Good luck in what ever you decide.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 07:45 AM
Jess

If you're on the west coast, head to Asia. If the east coast, I would go to Europe or N Africa. I think Barcelona might be the perfect city for someone your (and my) age and you could splurge a little and stay in a nice hotel instead of going dirt cheap. The nightlife there is great and you will definitely have plenty of chances to meet people.
I would worry that you lose so much time traveling to Australia--flight times from Seattle are between 19 and 29 hours going, and about 17 coming back. I might consider Thailand or Vietnam, but I guess Australia/New Zealand sounds like it should be a much longer trip to me.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 07:49 AM
vvvv

Whatever you do....Don't take a cruise. As a young person who likes to walk you will be disappointed. I'd suggest Island Hopping between the US and British Islands if its beaches, relaxation, and fun you want. Or I'd go back to Europe and stay in Nice. Then I'd travel up and down the coast from there.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 07:51 AM
sue

Since this is a free trip, I'd say go for Australia/New Zealand. 10 days isn't a very long amount of time though. I just got back from Thailand and loved it - but it's so inexpensive that you could probably do that on your own a bit later. Or you could head to the Greek Isles or Ibiza, Spain depending on what you're in to.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 07:54 AM
Susan

Go to Australia or New Zealand! You are young and the long flights will take less a toll on you now than they will later! If you have a desire to go there I'd act on it for this once-in-a-lifetime chance. Plus, look at the frequent flyer miles you will put in the bank for a future trip to Europe. There's history, culture, beautiful beaches, interesting people to meet. Good luck with whatever you decide, lucky girl!

Old May 2nd, 2002, 08:16 AM
Sandy

I would go for Australia/New Zealand. If you don't care about laying around the beach, I would cross Fiji off my list. Most activities revolve around water. You will defintitely have more options going to Australia and/or New Zealand. What a great gift! Have a blast!

Old May 2nd, 2002, 08:28 AM
BBB

If you are into history or archeological sites, how about Egypt & all the available sites to visit.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 08:40 AM
Ann

That is easy go to either Australia or New Zealand. Dont do both trust me. Concentrate on one. If it were me I would pick New Zealand. Congratulations.
PS. I would maybe save up your money to see if you can stay an extra 2-3 days. Remember you lose a day traveling there.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 08:47 AM
Susan

Stretch it to 2 weeks & go to New Zealand! (out of which city are you flying?)

My second suggestion is not as exotic (or expensive!). If you like to walk, meet new people & be out & about doing things then how about Nova Scotia? You could fly into Halifax, rent a car & travel throughout the province.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 09:12 AM
Sam

Definately Austrailia. But you have to stay longer than 10 days. If you are on the east coast, it'll take you a solid 24 hours to get there. Hostels there are affordable and the way to go if you are going to be traveling around alot.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 10:10 AM
Lynn

Thanks for all your suggestions. My roommate doesn't have any interest in going to Asia as she's already been (I haven't but I will be traveling with her). I will be flying out of LAX. I think you're right about ruling the cruise out. I'll save that for when I can go with a "sweetheart" someday. Thanks!!

Old May 2nd, 2002, 10:55 AM
Ann

Right now is not the best time to go to Egypt.

As others have said, you really need more than 10 days for Australia and New Zealand. But if you do plan on going that direction with only 10 days, your best bet is to pick either Australia or New Zealand. You need about a month to do both.

What about South Africa?

Old May 2nd, 2002, 11:06 AM
xxx3

First, tell them you want to go to Tokyo for 10 days.

Then when they find out what $$$$$ that will cost them, as for two or three weeks in Australia/NZ, which will cost less, instead!

If you get to Canberra, check out the brand-new National Museum of Australia (NMA), their equivalent of the Smithsonian.