Graceland. Do I want to go?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2008, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Graceland. Do I want to go?

First of all: Yes, I'm a fan.
But wife can take him or leave him.

I'm turning 40 in January and want to be somewhere when the day comes, but we'll probably need more than that to keep us occupied.

We're child-free NYCers with about 4 nights to take off the end January.

How is Graceland and are there other things to do/see/eat around that area?

We wouldn't stay more than 2 or 3 days.

OTOH we can go to Puerto Rico and make ourselves very comfortable at The Intercontinental or El Convento.
Old Oct 26th, 2008, 08:55 AM

Hmmm. Well, those are two very different choices. I've been to the Wyndham in PR and it was a lovely vacation -- sun, pool, beach, restaurants, spa and golf. Makes a compelling case, no?

OTOH, I happen to like Memphis. Graceland is fun, but it will only occupy you for a few hours. Then, you will want to see the ducks at the Peabody, do the tour at Sun Studios. There are a couple of museums in the area to see. Some good bbq. Does that sound appealing?
Old Oct 26th, 2008, 08:57 AM

There's plenty enough in Memphis to keep you occupied for 2-3 days. Lots of great places to eat as well.

But, January isn't really the time I'd choose to visit Memphis. Given the choice between Puerto Rico or Memphis in January - Memphis wouldn't even be under consideration for me. In March or April it would be much nicer - warm weather, flowers will be in bloom, etc.
Old Oct 26th, 2008, 08:58 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'd go to Puerto Rico with your wife for your birthday. And visit Graceland some other time (have any other friends who are Elvis-lovers?)
Old Oct 26th, 2008, 09:34 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Are you by any chance a fan of the blues or of the other King, BB? If so, you could combine a visit to Memphis with a short drive down Hwy 61 to Clarksdale, visit the Delta Blues Museum (http://www.deltabluesmuseum.org/) and have some BBQ at Abe's - http://www.abesbbq.com/. If you plan to sell your soul, this is the place.

We visited the area the weekend after Thanksgiving a few years ago and absolutely loved it. It was chilly but not especially cold. Next time (and there will be) we'll stay at the Shack Up Inn - http://www.shackupinn.com/
Old Oct 26th, 2008, 09:34 AM

I found Graceland to be tacky. They endlessly try to sell you souvenirs. At the end of every tour you end up in a gift shop.

The Civil Rights Museum is far more interesting in Memphis.
Old Oct 26th, 2008, 10:20 AM

No doubt about it, Graceland is tacky. However I visited it this year with my family. My husband and I had been there before many years ago. We went back because by 21 year old son wanted to see it. My 15 year old daughter went very reluctantly. Surprisingly, she ended up having a good time, mostly because of the audio tour. You are able to listen to a lot of music. Actually I too had more fun than I thought I would. If you go you have to realize what you are getting into. Certainly there are way too many souvenir shops.
Old Oct 26th, 2008, 11:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am not a fan but found Graceland interesting--even moving (surprise!). We also loved the Civil Rights Museum (extremely moving, less of a surprise), the barbecue and staying at the Peabody upgraded to Club Level. We were there in March a number of years ago as part of a Nashville/Memphis jaunt. I'm not sure I'd choose it in January but I certainly had a great time. If you have an interest in American history and the history of American music, I'd say there's much to offer in that part of the country.