Reload this Page >

Longboat Key/Sarasota - Restaurants & Shopping

Old Oct 25th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

We are leaving the UK soon for our 5th trip to Longboat Key and would appreciate your help on 2 things.

Firstly - restaurants; we have a few favourites that we always go back to (Dry Dock, Columbia's), and have tried other notables, such as Pattigeorge, Euphemia Haye, Colony Dining Room, Moore's, Ciao Italia...but are there any new ones out there? We just read about Mattison's steakhouse closing, which is a shame as we had that on our list. Any suggestions?

Secondly ... where can I buy Philosophy skincare products in Sarasota (e.g. like a Sephora)?

Many thanks for any / all help!
Nugi
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 11:15 AM

Hello nugi, I can't help you as I haven't been to LongboatKey for some time. But I had relatives in Longboat Key for decades as so consequently visited there a lot. How fortunate you are to be able to go there, it is such a beautiful area. Enjoy!
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 06:33 PM
LN

Hi Nugi

I'm on Longboat Key right now and, honestly, there haven't been any new restaurant openings so far. I guess the economic downturn has caused a slowdown of new restaurants around here. We do go into Sarasota quite often and try the redstaurants around Main Ave. and have had great success there. One favorite is Selva Grill where the food has been outstanding when we've visited.

As to your skincare - I can't help there either. You might want to bring enough with you for your stay. Everything is slow right now on the island and at St Armands - not many of us here in October unless you're a resident.

Mattison's was very good but, if I remember well, he had some difficulties on Siesta Key also.

Sometime during your visit you might give "Harry's" a try. It's not very large but the food is wonderful and most of the year rounders have been going to Harry's for a long time. He also has a deli across from the restaurant (on the northern side of the island) where you can pick up appetizers, etc for company coming!

If I hear of any new places opening I'll post a reply here. I've only been back for a few days now.
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 07:22 PM

LN, your mentioning Harry's gives me a smile as my sister-in-law would get dinner from them a couple of times a week. Good memories and fantastic food!
Old Oct 26th, 2008, 08:35 AM
LN

Harry's has been a great spot over the years. I've enjoyed it for many years.

I did forget Cafe on the Bay - it was down inside the Key Club and it moved north on the island - in the Center Shops and is still wonderful!!

When will you be coming Nugi?

I gather that you're still staying busy out in the SF area (??) Loveitaly. Got any new trips planned?
Old Oct 26th, 2008, 09:43 AM

Hello LN, no trips planned at the moment. I was going to go to Portland, OR for some weeks but a family member there ended up with a serious medical problem so I postponed the trip. Will do that after winter has passes as it is cold in Portland during the winter, shiver!

The next few months are always busy with family birthdays, holidays etc., so probably won't even think about a trip until after that.

Enjoy your beautiful LongboatKey!
Old Oct 26th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Hi LN, Loveitaly, thank you both for sending me your thoughts, ideas and suggestions.

We are flying out from London on Thursday (Oct 30), am SO excited to be in the US for the Presidential election. Most of us are watching it avidly over here, so I feel lucky to know we will be in the US at the time. And of course, to have some real sunshine...we are going down to single figures (Centigrade) next week, this is my last chance for a tan before our winter closes in!

The Selva Grill sounds great, we'll definitely give that a whirl. We have tried to eat at Harry's before, but we've only ever found it closed on the 3 occasions we tried ... perhaps not the right season (we tend to come over either in May or October).

LN, if you do get a chance to post back, can you give me a bit of a steer on the Cafe on the Bay - is it off the Gulf of Mexico drive, or actually in Sarasota itself?

Thanks again to you both, I really appreciate hearing from you.

All the best
Nugi
Old Oct 26th, 2008, 12:31 PM

Try Cork and The Bottle Shop on St Armands Circle. You can find Philosphy products in Tampa at Sephora and Nordstrom.
Old Oct 26th, 2008, 12:34 PM
LN

Hi Nugi

Cafe on the Bay is on Gulf of Mexico Drive. When you turn into the Center Shops (north side of island approximately 5000 G of M Dr and just a few doors away from Ciao Italia) the Cafe is the first shop you will see on the right.

Do you stay on the north side or the south side??
Old Oct 26th, 2008, 12:53 PM
LN

I just checked Mattisons and they have NOT closed - they are still open.

Another two nice restaurants are The Sun House just above Coquina Beach at the circle and Beach Bistro at the northern point of Anna Maria Island.