good travel raincoat?

Search

good travel raincoat?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good travel raincoat?

Looking for a lightweight, waterproof packable travel raincoat -- something longer and sort of dressy. Interested in hearing what you've owned and what you thought about it.
Old Jul 15th, 2007, 06:10 PM

Hi j_999_9, I have a lightweight Ellen Tracy longish raincoat I bought ages ago. I like to take it with me because it goes well with pants or over a skirt/dress. It is rather a trench coat style. It is cut so that it will go over a blazer or heavy sweater (if it is cold weather). I always carry it on the plane rather then trying to get it in my suitcase. If the plane is cold it is good to have for warmth. I also have a midthigh rain coat but I find that only looks good with pants so I prefer to the trenchcoat for travelling. Oh, I also have a raincoat, again a trenchcoat style, that has the zipin liner but for me it is to bulky for travelling.
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 12:29 AM

Kway.PAul
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 04:58 AM

The nicest one I ever saw (but don't own) is the Mycra Pac Donatella reversible raincoat. It comes in 2 lengths and lots of colors. The fanciest are the leopard and there's a black that's got a pattern on one side (scroll) and solid on the other. Here's one website with it but there are loads
http://www.packinglight.net/plight/p...AAAKNJMHBIFDN&

I saw it quite a while ago in a shop in NYC called San Francisco Clothing Co. Don't know if they still carry it. They only had the black/scroll in long and I thought it overwhelmed me. Now that you've reminded me of it and I found it online shorter, I just might get it.
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 11:12 AM

I own several of the Mycra Pac Donatella style hooded 'raincoats' - I have had them for over two years - and love them - I use the term raincoat loosely b/c it is a raincoat, but not one you would want for torrential rains - it is NOT waterproof it is water resistant - nor would I recommend it for casual/hiking/etc - for that I have my long snap/llbean type - or short marmot type.

but for something you can pack and travel with that you can wear over jeans and a t with boots or cool shoes and dress up/ or wear over a business suit, or a dressy cocktail dress - the Mycra Pak is my lifesaver !! It is reversible, it looks great - I have it short and long in the brown/black shades and a long light green and a short jacket style blue sporty model -

they never wrinkle, they have a 'bag' that matches that they fold into - VERY easy to pack - and I have used the bag to put my evening bag in if it is really raining -or my shoes if I am wearing boots to a destination -

For waterproof my favorite is LLBean for long and REI or EMS for a Marmot shorter jacket.
Neither is dressy but I am dry.

For travel plus dressy, I stick with the Mycra Pac and an umbrella and a taxi ! If it is raining that much, I am either not that dressed up or taking a cab !
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 11:14 AM

My favorite raincoats are also LLBean. The pockets are especially nice, and they come in beautiful colors.
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 11:58 AM
LJ

The LLBean also last for years...my fave in cherry red is now 10 years old and still gets compliments as well as keeping off the rain. The shoulder/vent thing works well at rainy day travel in warmer climates-you don't die of heat.
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 04:47 PM

You could also check the Magellan's and TravelSmith web sites. Both catalog companies sell travel clothing.