Good place to stay in Indianapolis

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 09:22 PM
Cathi

Good place to stay in Indianapolis

We are heading up to Chicago the end of the month and decided to stay one night near Indianapolis. Any suggestions on where to stay or what to see in a short time?

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 06:57 AM
linda

Cathi,
Indianapolis is a fun city. We just spent the weekend there -up from Louisville. We stayed at Adam's Mark- a great location downtown. They were pretty disorganized and understaffed- but I can overlook that for the rate of 109/night summer special.The food there (breakfast) was good, the room was very nice and clean and we walked to attractions -all within a few blocks, no driving required.
Are you bringing your kids? They have a FABULOUS children's museum there. Also, a new downtown Mall connected by walkways.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 11:17 AM
Cathi

Linda - thanks for your input. We are coming from BG, KY and have relatives in the Chicago suburbs but thought we would make a stopover in Indianapolis to make the trip more relaxing. I had heard there was an old train station that had been redone into a hotel/mall or something like that. Been years ago that I heard about that. I will check out Adams Mark for rates when we will be there. No, our 4 kids are all basically adults now. Last one in College. Thank goodness. But one precious grandson. This is just a little getaway for my husband and I. No matter how old they get they all seem to want to go with us on vacations....even the son-in-law. haha.
I will also check out the mall..if you think of anything else please let me know.
But this will just be two of us.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 11:44 AM
Beth

The old train station is my FAVORITE hotel in Indy and I stay there quite a bit traveling from Chicago on business. You are referring to the Crowne Plaza Union Station which I think is on Louisiana Street. It is connected by pedway to the RCA dome. It is a block or two off from the main attraction but a fab hotel and still a pretty good location. Circle Centre Mall is the center of things and many nice hotels are connected to it incliuding the Westin and Hyatt. For a great dinner eat at St. Elmo's an Indy institution with great steaks. There is also a really good local jewish deli I love to frequent there but the name escapes me at this moment. It is however right by the Circle Center mall.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 12:14 PM
steve

I was just in Indianapolis and stayed at the Westin which was okay. But we went to see a very nice B&B called The Villa. It is in a beautiful building and also has a restaurant and spa.
Indianapolis also has nice art museum.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 09:45 PM
Cathi

Thanks for the name of the hotel that was a converted train station. I checked out the website..found $119 to be the cheapest rate. But it looks pretty neat.
The Adam's Mark was $109 like Linda quoted. That hotel looks nice also..Need to check some of the others near the mall area since you say that is a pretty central location.
Thanks for rest. recommendations, too.

Thanks also to you, Steve. I checked out the website for The Villa...such a wonderful place. The rooms are gorgeous...But I am afraid the $200 and up rates are a little too steep for me.
The Art museum sounds great, though.