Good Itinerary? Sedona, Grand Canyon, and most of Mighty Five

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 2023, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was hoping folks who have visited these areas might be able to to provide guidance regarding my proposed itinerary. I'll be traveling with my family (wife, son--12, and daughter--9). They are decent hikers, but nothing too extreme. We'll be arriving the morning of Saturday, 11/4, and flying out on a redeye Saturday night, 11/11. My plan seems doable based on what I've read, but I don't want to short-change anything or spend too much time somewhere that might start to get repetitive, particularly with my kids in tow. Thanks for any guidance you can share!

Day 1 -- Arrive in Phoenix 9:30a. Drive to Sedona, self-guided or pink jeep tour, take in the atmosphere, nothing too exhausting.
Day 2 -- Leave Sedona early, spend day at South Rim Grand Canyon
Day 3 -- Grand Canyon
Day 4 -- leave early for Moab. Stop at Monument Valley and Canyonlands, spending a few hours at each. Arrive in Moab early evening or evening
Day 5 -- Arches until early or mid afternoon, then head to Bryce (I realize we're missing Capitol Reef)
Day 6 -- spend most of the day at Bryce Canyon before heading to Zion in the evening
Day 7 -- Zion
Day 8 -- spend most of the day at Zion before driving to Vegas. Drive to Hoover dam if time (wife and I have been before, but not the kids), then head to airport. Leave on 11:30p flight.

Thoughts, criticisms, recommendations, any helpful hints? Should we skip any of these points or spend more/less time than I've planned? Thank you!!
Old Oct 27th, 2023, 09:03 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to Fodors. Just very quick -- Bryce is at 8,000 feet and while it is a little early for heavy snow it can be quite cold (and snow is definitely possible)
Old Oct 27th, 2023, 01:40 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Excluding Phoenix & Las Vegas, the whole itinerary is subject to snow & as mentioned, while usually later, I'd have a plan "B" just in case.

Old Oct 28th, 2023, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. Forecast looks good at the moment, though realize that can change.

Any thoughts on the itinerary?
Old Oct 28th, 2023, 12:28 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Days 4, 5 & 6 seem full on to me. Less daylight in November too.
Old Oct 29th, 2023, 06:38 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Stacker99
Thanks. Forecast looks good at the moment, though realize that can change.

Any thoughts on the itinerary?
I took my wife for her first look at the Grand Canyon in early November a few years ago. On our way back to Flagstaff, we encountered some snow on the road near the Arizona Snow Bowl. I had rained that day in Flagstaff. Hotels are a little cheaper in Flagstaff than in Sedona. Have a "plan B" if you encounter snow at the high elevation parks. I prefer to return rental cars where I rent them to avoid one way fees. Cars are cheaper to rent in Las Vegas than Phoenix or SLC.
Old Oct 30th, 2023, 03:40 AM

You will probably not have trouble getting lodging at that time of year so keeping flexible should not be a problem. We even drove into Grand Canyon and had no trouble getting in park lodging in early December a couple of years ago. If you can not find lodging in GC, look at Cameron Trading post, 64 east then 89 north almost at the junction and heading towards MV/Moab area.

l do love Bryce, but if there is snow in that area, I would spend an extra day in the Arches/Canyonlands area and then head for Zion.

if you do have time for Hoover Dam, before you get to Vegas, head east through Valley of Fire state park then around Lake Meade to the dam. Then head for the airport.

Have a great time.
Old Nov 2nd, 2023, 07:56 AM

Canyonland's entrance is either north of Moab to get to Island in the Sky which is probably the best quick view of the area

while the southern entrance is miles inland, representing a considerable time-consuming detour

Old Nov 30th, 2023, 02:23 AM

I would suggest that Oatman is a place worth visiting. It is the hub of cowboy culture and burros. I also recommend visiting some art galleries in Arizona, as their art is very famous if you have an interest in art.
Old Dec 22nd, 2023, 10:29 AM

I'm interested in hearing how this itinerary worked out! Hoping to do a similar trip in 2024.