Good food at reasonable prices

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2003, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder if this is possible in Washington DC, we are going there at the end of the month and are looking for some inside impute from locals. We love ethnic food such as,Portuguese, Spanish, real Italian,
Brazilian, from Greece or may be some other country. Any suggestions?
If possible we shall appreciate and idea of coast ....Thank you.
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 07:06 AM
E

Graziella, will you be staying in DC, or outside the city?
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 07:36 AM

Find the Embassy of the desired food's country of origin and there will be a restaurant nearby. I find ethnic DC restaurants to be relatively inexpensive unless they target the trendy crowd.
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 08:32 AM
E

TX, are you kidding? That's just silly advice, unless you define "nearby" as within 5 miles. There are embassies and ethnic restaurants all over DC. Why would you send an innocent traveler on such a wild goose chase??
Graziella, I haven't lived in DC in years, and can't tell you the latest on good ethnic restaurants. But TX is correct in saying that most ethnic places (except maybe Italian, which exists at many price points) are reasonably priced. Many are clustered in Dupont Circle and Adams-Morgan neighborhoods of DC. I hope others on this board can be more specific.
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 08:57 AM

Graz,

Your question is way to broad. Next to NYC, DC probably has the most diverse, ecletic mix of food/resturants in the nation. You can get pretty much anything you want in DC. Sticking to Dupont and Adams Morgan are good areas. But if you are in the VA you could go for el pollo - Pervuian/Andean Chicken.
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 09:20 AM

It's not really a silly response if you know what type of food you want. I found a great Ethiopian restaurant near the Ethiopian Embassy and Peruvian restaurant near the Peruvian Embassy, etc... We get a craving for a specific type of cuisine and we are almost sure to find that food near the corresponding Embassy. It's not a wild goose chase at all and the food is usually good. One owner told me that he was brought to this country by a past dignitary who wanted his favorite foods nearby.
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Hi E, I shall be staying in town,1400 M st NW. This is the Wyndham I got a good rate there with taxes under 100.
Your advice will be most welcome.
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 10:11 AM
E

TX, we'll have to agree to disagree. I still think that heading for, say, the Brazilian Embassy and fanning out from there is a crazy way to find a restaurant.
Graziella, try this website: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...nts/index.html
It is a very good restaurant guide that allows you to search by type of food and location, and indicates price range. For example, I chose "Brazilian" and "Washington DC", and the top pick was Grill from Ipanema in Adams-Morgan, which has gotten good reviews from Fodorites. Washington Post reviews I have found to be very reliable. Good luck!
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Thank you E. I shall do that