Search

good food

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 10:03 AM
MJ

good food

My sister and I are going to NYC for Christmas next weekend. We are staying in Midtown Friday - Sunday. I wanted to know a couple of good places to eat, cheap?! We are going to the Met. most of the day Saturday, any good places around there for dinner?

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 10:08 AM
J

If you're going to the Met Saturday, the closest area for cheap food is further east from 5th Avenue. I like Ecco-La on 3rd Ave round 93rd (I think). Look it up on Citysearch. Decent pasta at fair prices, nice service/atmosphere. There are other places in the 80s/90s on 3rd that are inexpensive.

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 11:06 AM
Q

Would you consider coming back to midtown for dinner? John's on 44th have good pizza and pasta (desserts are good too!) and is very reasonable; dinner with a glass of wine & dessert will be under $20 each. This is not "fine dining" but the food is more than decent and it's a nice atmosphere -renovated church!

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 07:15 PM
David

In Midtown, Tad's Steaks is not a bad place. They serve up steak(cooked to order while you wait) with all the trimmings cafeteria-style. The place is clean and don't let the line intimidate you, it moves relatively quickly.

http://www.geocities.com/~cititour/c.../tads/tads.htm

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 07:56 AM
MJ

Johns sounds good. we are staying right around there, on 46th. thanks for the tips.

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 09:14 AM
Q

Great! Give it a try - here's the address: John's Pizzeria, 260 West 44th Street. (212) 391-7560. Also, they are open late, so if you want dessert and coffee after theater this would be an option. Have fun!

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 09:31 AM
Frank

I have to warn Tad's steaks would be depressing. Saigon Grille on 88th and first is cheap and praised in zagats. This would walk you through the residential area of the upper east side. Yah can see how we live! Check zagats for more options there is a great turkish place up here, name escapes me Zagats lists it.

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 04:16 PM
Kim

Just stayed in NYC at the Courtyard Marriott Midtown--had a great dinner at Pescatore on 2nd Avenue between 50th and 51st. Great pizza--and the white chocolate mousse cake was excellent. Very reasonably priced.

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 06:08 PM
sara

Sara,
How was your stay at the Courtyard Marroitt Midtown?

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 09:07 AM
Kim

The Courtyard Marriott Mid-Town was good--good location, close to the subway, large rooms and large bathrooms (great hot showers)--reasonably priced. But don't expect anything fancy.