Search

GOOD-BYE LBI

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 07:35 PM
Poor in NJ

GOOD-BYE LBI

After vacationing in LBI for many years, I regret that this will be our last. It has become too rich for my blood. We rented a 4 bedroom oceanfront house in Beach Haven - last wk of July - 1 bath - no air. Price for 1 week : $6,000.00. I also rented a 4 bdrm oceanfront house in NC - 3.5 baths - last wk in June. Price for 1 wk : $1500.00. GOOD-BYE LBI - HELLO NC!

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 07:47 PM
x

we rented a house in mts of mass for the month of aug for $3500.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 03:03 AM
Larry

All this says is that the same people who ruined the Jersey Shore will sone be ruining the Outer Banks- Carolinians beware.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 05:04 AM
jersey

I'm trying to figure out the point of the "ruining" post. How are they "ruining" it?

Anyway, the reasons for the differences in price are fairly obvious. The Jersey/Delaware/Md. shore attracts people from three major -- and fairly well off -- clientele: NY, Phila. and Washington. While NC attracts people mainly from less populated and less affluent areas in the South. (Yeah, yeah, I know about the Research Triangle, but it still ain't NY, Wash., or Philly.)

Note: Prices are even worse in Del. than in NJ.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 05:06 AM
sn

Two words: Cape Cod. Still reasonably priced rental houses and you don't have to cross the Mason Dixon Line!

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 05:12 AM
Huh?

Cape Cod reasonable? You must be kidding. $2,000 a week for a house on the Bay side in Eastham is reasonable?

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 05:30 AM
sn

Your post makes no mention of how many bedrooms, quality of housing, etc. Compared to NJ shore $2k per week IS reasonable! Try Branson, MO if you are looking to pay $100 for the week....Outer Banks are just as expensive unless you stay in a lopsided house on 3 stilts. It's nice there but nowhere to eat, too many convenience stores and again, on the wrong side of the Mason-Dixon line for a summer vacation.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 05:35 AM
Hmmmm...

Somebody didn't do their homework....our 4 bedroom, 2 living room, 3 bathroom, 2 porch etc house on beachblock in Beach Haven is $1500 a week...we're pretty pleased!! Perhaps it's the "beachFRONT" part of it (we don't have that kind of money!), but we've always found LBI to be a good bargain.

Hope it's a great week, at least.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 11:06 AM
lisa

I'm from the west. What is LBI?

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 11:11 AM
Betty

LBI is Long Beach Island first decent strip of shore line (homes) south about an hour from NYC.

No one is ruining any towns. Those of you complaining about the money that moved you out. You will no doubt move people out in the South.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 11:11 AM
sn

http://www.longbeachisland.com/

North of Atlantic City about 2 hours from both Philly and NYC. Not as commercial as Atlantic City area, can be quiet and wonderful, though rapidly evaporating into the sea. I wouldn't spend any real money on a house there--flooding is a tremendous problem.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 11:24 AM
Sarah

Poor in NY you can rent a 3 bedroom house on Kauai for $950. I know airfare and travel costs drive things up.

This year airfare does not seem to be any kind of a bargain to Hawaii anyway. But I have friends who were looking at a beach front rental in OC and decided it was a better idea to go to Florence, Italy for the price.

These prices can't last forever they are probably more reflective of the past success of the Stock market. But the Stock market as you know is not doing so well and lay offs and stock dives abound. I am getting brochures from O.C hotels like the Flanders that I have not received without inquiring in the past. So I am guessing this is not a hot rental year at the shore.

I know last year the Hamptons were down in rentals. $6000 is completely out of control. Location does mean something. I am going with two others to Hawaii and that is what will be spending on Lodging, airfare, car rental, food. It is only this high because airfares to Hawaii have sky rocketed this year. Other years I have gone by Myself for $1500, $2000.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 11:32 AM
Sarah

Huh the only thing is that Cape Cod is that the water temp is considerably colder than a more southern location. I have hard time even in O.C. swimming in those temps but will brave it in August.

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 02:57 PM
NC bound

LBI vs. NC :
NC - beautiful, quiet, considerable less expensive, clean, family oriented, @ 10 drive
LBI - beautiful, not as quiet (but not honky tonk like Seaside), crowded, not the cleanest, family oriented, easy drive, VERY expensive

The only positive I see LBI has over NC is the location. p/s - I have never been to the outer banks -- have sent the last 20 summers on Topsail Island, NC.