NJ HOTEL 1 HR SOUTH OF CAPE LIBERTY

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2005, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are looking for a nice, safe place to stay the night before a Constellation cruise. We will be driving to the pier and don't need hotel or airport shuttles. What we have in mind is a suburban type area with shopping (24 hr. groceries, Target, Walmart, Meijer and possibly a mall or bookstore), a variety of places to eat (Olive Garden, pizza places, Red Lobster, etc. and fast food for breakfast if the motel doesn't have it).

We really don't know the area and the online res. sites do not seem to have these kinds of details.

A new or almost new anything (motel wise) is my preference over an old property. I've stayed in name brand "nice hotels" that have lovely bars, lobbys, etc. and old, tired poorly maintained rooms. Clean and modern with continental (or better) breakfast is what we are looking for.

It doesn't have to be exactly an hour from the pier, we are trying to avoid industrial areas and EWR/NYC traffic the evening before the cruise.

Also, does anyone know how congested the Cape Liberty pier is on cruise days, how long it takes to get into the pier area and how far the on site parking is from the ship (a stroll or a hike)?

Thanks to anyone familiar with area for good advice.
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 03:21 PM

Where are you traveling from?
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

To Budman,

We will be traveling east on 78 past Harrisburg, P.A.. I think "south of Cape Liberty" was an error. I am bad with directions. Thanks for any help, Budman or anyone else.
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 09:59 AM

I believe that we are on the same cruise! - oct 29 constellation out of Cape Liberty. Check out www.cruisecritic.com and go to the boards. Find our thread and you can obtain some info about the port & surrounding area. Some of the posters are from NJ. Also, register for the CC party, we are already over 80 strong. We also have our own webpage (richyu.com/2005cruise.htm you may want to have a look at or join.

Happy sailing....only 9 days to go.
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 10:38 AM

You've probably found a place by now, but Bridgewater and Piscataway (two towns close to route 78 in NJ) both have all the chains you're looking for, and are within an hour of Bayonne. Enjoy your trip!