Good book for Yosemite hiking trails?

Jun 20th, 2002, 07:21 AM
John R.

Good book for Yosemite hiking trails?

Can anyone recommend a good book for hiking trails in Yosemite NP? Or is the literature you can pick up in the park sufficient?

Thanks in advance,

John R.

Jun 20th, 2002, 08:15 AM
Howard

I highly recommend "The Complete Guidebook to Yosemite National Park," published by the Yosemite Association (PO Box 545, Yosemite National Park, CA 95389). I can't find its website address at the moment, but if you do an internet search on Yosemite, I'm sure I'll find it.
The Yosemite Bookstore (209-379-2648; PO Box 230, El Portal, CA 95318) sells that book, plus others, including several books specifically about hiking in Yosemite.

Jun 20th, 2002, 08:23 AM
joyce

I prefer a good romance novel , a real sappy one when I am in my tent in the Yosemite park.

Jun 20th, 2002, 09:14 AM
John

Two favorites are:
1. 50 Best Short Hikes in Yosemite and Sequoia/Kings Canyon (GREAT book!)
by John Krist
pub. Wilderness Press, Berkely CA

2. California Hiking
by Tom Stienstra & Ann Marie Brown
pub. Foghorn Outdoors
(this covers the whole state but has dozens of Yosemite hikes)

And unless you plan on some very basic (and crowded) hikes, I would not rely on the information they hand out when you enter the park. Have fun!

Jun 20th, 2002, 12:48 PM
John R.

Thanks for the advice. Crowded hikes aren't really what I'm looking for. Although I guess there are some that are worth it on a first trip to the park.

Jun 20th, 2002, 02:27 PM
Howard

One hike I would definitely recommend is the one that takes you to the top of Vernal Falls and then continuing on to Nevada Falls. It ain't easy, but it's worth it for what you see en route and at the top!

Jun 21st, 2002, 01:18 PM
John R

Howard - Yeah, I've been thinking about that one. I've heard that the Mist Trail portion of it is best hiked in swimming gear because it gets so wet. Was that your experience?

Jun 21st, 2002, 03:53 PM
Liz

Hiked the Mist Trail in late July 1999. There was plenty of water going over Vernal Fall, but it just "misted" the trail. Probably wetter earlier in the year, though.

Jun 21st, 2002, 04:42 PM
Howard

We went in August and the water wasn't much of a problem.....but oh, those steps. Be forewarned, just getting up to Vernal Fall entails climbing more than 700 steps!