Good area to stay in Salt Lake City for one night

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In late July we are going to take an 8 day tour through Yellowstone and Grand Teton area. We are currently planning on flying in and out of Salt Lake City as tickets are cheaper than some of the small town in Montana. We thought it would be nice to spend a bit of time in SLC at our arrival. Our plans are to arrive around noon on a Thursday and spend the afternoon and the following morning in the SLC area. We will then drive up Friday evening to our first hotel.

I know nothing about SLC or the areas that are best to stay. I don't really know what we'll be able to do in 2 half day stints. After just a bit of research I'm leaning toward half day downtown and half day at This is the Place Heritage Park (this could change). I'm thinking it would be nice to stay downtown as this would be central to what we might end up doing.

I'd like to get Hilton Honors credit which includes Hilton, Embassy Suites, Homewood Suites, Hampton Inn, etc. These are sprinkled all over downtown SLC.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...thanks
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 01:35 PM

I haven't stayed at any of the Hilton properties, however, the Hilton Garden Inn is rated #1 on Trip Advisor - http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...City_Utah.html

The weather in late July is usually hot. If it were me, I would spend the afternoon in Park City and explore downtown in the morning before leaving for Yellowstone. This is the Place Heritage Park is interesting, but I wouldn't plan to spend half a day there.
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 03:41 PM

Wekiva, if it were me I would shoot for the HIlton first. It's location is better for walking around downtown (more central.) Embassy Suites is fine, too. HIlton Garden Suites looks just fine but in my mind is right by the freeway and sort of a slog to resataurants, etc. Have fun!
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 08:11 PM

I agree the Hilton is better located for walking to downtown restaurants, but the Embassy Suites is only a block and half from the Garden Inn. The Garden Inn is four blocks from I15. You may prefer Embassy Suites over Garden Inn, but it isn't better located. All three hotels are within four blocks of each other.
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. Of course it would probably make more sense to figure out what we're doing there first and then decide the best place to stay I suppose.