Notices

Hollywood or Santa Monica? where to stay.

Old Mar 11th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hollywood or Santa Monica? where to stay.

We'll be staying in the LA area for about 3 nights. Santa Monica was mentioned as a great place to stay. From what I've researched so far, I want to see the Getty Museum, Farmer's Market, Tar Pits(though I'm not sure what it is but everyone seems to agree this is worth while), Hollywood walk of fame, and Beverly Hills area, Warner Brother's Tour. My kids want to go to Universal Studios.
How long is the drive from Santa Monica to LA and also we will be flying out of Orange county (early AM). Should we stay by the OC airport the night before our flight?
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 11:47 AM

La Brea (which means "the tar" in Spanish) Tar Pits, is well worth seeing, and kids would like it.

either click through Fodor's destinations tool bar to Los Angeles or try this link:

http://www.fodors.com/world/north%20...ity_92084.html
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 12:44 PM

Stay in Santa Monica. It's much, much nicer than Hollywood and closer to the sites you mentioned.

Definitely stay in the OC the morning of your flight. Traffic can be nasty and you don't want to miss your flight.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 04:32 PM

Santa Monica would be a perfect place to stay for what you describe.

How early is your flight out? As far as whether you need to head to Orange county the night before or not.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 04:46 PM

How about the Universal Hilton? There are good rates from time to time, it's close to WB, and you can subway down to Hollywood. Universal has a multi-day ticket that's the same price as a one-day ticket so the kids can go every night if they want to, instead of just one long day. Santa Monica's kind of a long haul from most of what you want to do, and you should include Griffith Park Observatory one night, too.
Definitely head to OC for the final night.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 05:04 PM

Agree with above--Santa Monica is a much better location.

If you're flying out of Orange county early AM, yes, IMO you should stay by the airport.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input! It looks like Santa Monica is the way to go.
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 07:29 AM

It is, Scube. If you need help fine tuning hotels, let us know.
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 09:07 AM

Hmmm...can't say that I agree. Only three nights in L.A, with trips to Universal, to Warner Brothers, and Hollywood in there? Sounds like 2 days of mega-traffic to me.
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Yes, any input in regards to Hotels in Santa Monica would be great.

Clarkgriswold - so what area would you recommend for the least amount of traffic/commute time? I know you mentioned the Univeral Hilton - what part of LA is that?

How much driving time from Santa Monica to above mentioned attractions?

Thanks again for all your help!

Old Mar 17th, 2008, 09:03 PM

I have to agree with Clarkgriswold. I live near Santa Monica and, while it is a nice city, the traffic can be just awful, especially if you are going back and forth to Hollywood.

The Universal Hilton, or Universal Sheraton are right beside (down the hill from) Universal Studios. The kids would just LOVE the Studios. The Getty is wonderful, but I think the kids would be bored quickly. You could do that, then head to Griffith Park. The Observatory at Griffith Park would be fun - they have a great laser show.

The Farmer's Market is also fun for everyone. Lots of ethnic eateries, and a marvelous ice cream shop called Bennetts that makes it's own ice cream. Next door (actually, about a 2 minute walk), is The Grove which is an outdoor mall. They have a little electric trolley you can hop on for a quick trip around the mall. <http://www.family-vacation-getaways-...he-Grove.html>

Definitely stay down in Orange County the night before your flight... L.A. traffic can be very erratic and you might end up sitting in traffic for hours.