Golf in Palm Springs

Search

Golf in Palm Springs

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2010, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Golf in Palm Springs

We're looking forward to a trip to Palm Springs at the end of the month. My husband is a keen golfer and we're just wondering if there are any golfers out there who would recommend their favourite course, preferably under $100 a round!
Old Feb 6th, 2010, 05:34 PM

Try Standby golf, you should see discounted tee times under $100. I can't vouch for condition but Escena is close to Palm Springs and is in their system.

I played two courses last week and both had sort of shaggy greens for January, so I'm not sure if this is a widespread condition or just bad luck.

Also you may find coupons in local newspapers, or by trying individual courses own websites and signing up for especials.
Old Feb 7th, 2010, 12:53 PM

Agree, try one of the outfits that sells discounted rates. Also, if you can time when you get out, it can make a huge difference. For example, a later tee time on the weekends, but still enough time to finish out before it gets dark, can garner a good round fee. Or, weekday play.

There are some really solid "member for a day" private club quality golf courses out her, so you should be able to do well if you shop it a little. It is very competitive right now, as the recession has impacted the hospitatlity industry. This year seems a bit busier than last year though.

Good luck!

PSL
Old Feb 7th, 2010, 02:56 PM

If your husband is a good golfer, I would avoid the member for a day courses. The ones that offer it are not especially interesting layouts. I think you'll do better for value and interest with a heavily discounted resort or semi private course.

Of course if you have a friend that can get you into one of the ultra premium private courses, that's a different story. But the Woodhavens, Cimarrons, Palm Valleys, etc, who are hurting for members just aren't worth your time. (There's a reason they're fishing).
Old Feb 8th, 2010, 05:25 PM

mlgb, I am not sure what you are talking about. "Member for a day" to me means a high end premium club experience that is open to the public, not some type of marketed product. The courses I was referring to are respectable and hold up their end in the experience to some of the private clubs. I am in the golf community development business and am a member at two "high end" private clubs I helped develop here, so I understand the comment about Woodhaven and Cimarron. That isn't what I meant. Not sure I would lump Palm Valley in that category. I actually was talking about the resort and semi-private clubs...
Old Feb 8th, 2010, 06:52 PM

I would lump Palm Valley into that catergory, it's unfortunately operated (or operated unfortunately) by American Golf, as is Monterey CC.

To me, Member for a Day is a promotion by a private club and the only ads I've seen have been with American Golf and Woodhaven/Cimarron.

Maybe I'm missing something? The resort and semiprivate clubs are aways available to daily greens fee players, space permitting. They don't have "member for a day" promotions.
There are a lot of high caliber resort courses to chose from, as well as Desert Willow (public) but it isn't easy to get below $100 in February.
Old Feb 10th, 2010, 08:35 PM

I guess when I said "member for a day" I wasn't referring to any promotion run by marginal clubs. I was referring to a visitor having a chance to experience a caliber of golf typically unavailable in their home market to someone that isn't a member of a private club and pays a premium in initiation fees and monthly dues.

I admit to being a little out of touch. The two clubs I have developed are peer clubs to Bighorn, Tradition, Reserve, Vintage, and The Quarry. As a by-product, I get more invitations to play in hopes of reciprocity than I can ever possibly take advantage of. So I have some advantage in that I get access to premium golf experiences the typical visitor does not get.

I do think that the local market for rounds among the better semi-private and resort courses in the desert in recent times is pretty competitive, and the discriminating consumer can find bargains with respect to days and time slots that are pretty amazing.

The consolidators are a good prospect to help with this.