Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Going to Washington DC next week - need hotel advice

Old Mar 31st, 2009, 04:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are going to DC next week. We are wondering if we should stay at the Capitol Hilton 2 blocks from the White House or the Hampton Inn at the Convention Center. We want to hit all the city's attractions. Any advice on hotels. We are hilton honors so need to stay in that hotel family.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 05:12 AM

I would definitely stay at the Capitol Hilton. Very convenient location and good area. Close to metro stations too.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Ken -
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 06:29 AM

Agree that the Capitol Hilton would be better. I assume you already have reservations because this is a REALLY busy tourist time in DC (though I have read that hotel occupancy is not as high as it usually is for obvious reasons).
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

Yes, they have rooms and we have reservations at Hampton, but they can move us. Just trying to save a little money.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 01:40 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I think the Hampton Inn is in a good location. It's a relatively new hotel, a few blocks from the metro and near the Convention Center which has tons of shops and restaurants. I'd save the $$ and stay there.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Is it a safe area where you can walk to the WHouse and sites?
I am really torn, as I hear the Hilton is right in the middle of everything.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 02:50 PM

We stayed at a notel near the convention center, and at least at that time the neighborhood was a bit iffy.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 03:57 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
The Capitol Hilton is in a safe downtown business area and not much there at night. It is fairly close to the White House, but really no closer to other museums u might be visiting. I think the Hampton Inn may even be closer to the Mall. The Hampton Inn is in a safe area and closer to more things going on at night. The area around the Verizon Center (a couple blks from the hotel) is packed in the evenings, tons of restaurants, shops a big mall complex with a multiplex movie theater. I'd say they are about the same distance to a metro.
Have u checked the reviews on TA?
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

Thank you - I did ck the reviews on trip advisor. There were some negs about the Hamptons elevator always being broke and the breakfast being packed. But also some positives.
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 05:50 AM

Haven't heard anyone mention L'Enfant Plaza, we stayed there 2 Aprils ago...it's directly above the Metro, so we were able to Metro from the airport, and then use the Metro all week, never needed our car. Also, there is little food court with fast food shops below the hotel, near the Metro, handy with kids, but very little of it is open on the weekends, it's set up for commuters. Outside, the hotel is within walking distance of several of the Smithsonian museums, near the old Smithsonian Castle. We found the neighborhood very safe to walk, mostly other tourists and government workers on the mall. The actual hotel is nothing special, but clean and the service was good, lots of business people.
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 06:46 AM

I would say Hilton. We live off of 16th street and my hubby works near the convention center and we are avid public transportation users. The Hilton is more central and it is safer to walk around there at night as a tourist. If you were from DC, then I wouldn't worry about you one bit walking by the convention center, but being a tourist is different. IMO it is worth the extra money for the convenience.
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 12:52 PM

I live and work here in DC and I know both areas pretty well. The Capitol Hilton is in a safe area, but everything is pretty much shut down by 7:00 pm when all of the offices have closed (except a few very expensive restaurants). If you are at all a savvy traveller you won't have any problems with the Hampton Inn on 6th Street. It's only two blocks from Chinatown and the Verizon Center. There are all kinds of restaurants and shops (plus a bowling alley and multiplex theatre), and there are always lots people in the area until late at night. Plus you are much closer to the monuments/Mall area. It's about 12 blocks to the White House, but you are much closer to the museums and the Capitol.
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 03:30 PM

I was just at the Hampton a week ago for work. It is only a couple of blocks from chinatown metro and most cab fares are *fairly reasonable. We took one too Georgetown and it was only about $12. We flew into Baltimore, so used the metro/amtrak to get to the airport. Having said that, I haven't stayed at the Hilton before. I know we saved a bit of money not having to go out to breakfast every morning. And I felt comfortable walking back at night from meetings. Enjoy your stay! I love the city!