Search

God Bless America

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2001, 01:16 PM
Uncle Sam

God Bless America

Finally, Freedon Day! Bill and Hill are gone and "W" takes office and begins to show us once again what a decent caring goverment can do. I was pleased to hear on the news that one of "w"'s first acts was to paint and clean up the White House. Hope they remember to take an inventory, because I bet Billy, snuck a few momentos out in his carry-on.

Old Jan 20th, 2001, 01:23 PM
bruce

I'm a janitor at the whitehouse and you wouldn't believe all the cigars I found under Bill's desk. And most of them had never been smoked, I just can't figure it out.

Old Jan 20th, 2001, 01:52 PM
Jim

Yes, God Bless America. Hopefully our Democracy is strong enough to survive this goofball that a minority of voters chose for the the White House.

Old Jan 20th, 2001, 02:09 PM
Amy

A decent caring government? We know we won't be seeing that for at least four years.

Old Jan 20th, 2001, 02:45 PM
gomer

Quite unlike the "indecent" caring government regime we just endured?

Old Jan 20th, 2001, 05:38 PM
The real Uncle Sam

More like God watch over America or God protect America...from these right wing nuts who overthrew the government of this nation. The citizens and their votes don't count. Just "might makes right". Well Adolph Hitler said God was on his side too just as Ashcroft, Bush and Baker claim now.

Old Jan 20th, 2001, 06:30 PM
dnorrie

HMMMM!!!??? From a non-American - I guess that this recent election must make you all wonder about who should have won - GW or AG. Looking at it from an international perspective, it was a bit of a disaster - don't you agree? Should the popular vote have won or the other vote (what do you call them?)I just have to laugh at bruce@cleanup - however, should we ever make this much fun of a world leader???? Despite his/her mistakes? Maybe so and maybe (probably) he earned it! It worries me though that GW does not even know who the Prime Minister of Canada is - how will he fair internationally???? What do you all think.

Old Jan 20th, 2001, 07:14 PM
from the UK Guardian

Throughout his campaign George W Bush that the "W" stood for "win", although when you hear him speak it is not the first "W" that springs to mind. It is typical of "Dubya" that he won the
election by losing it, since his entire career has been built upon a succession of failures from which he emerged better placed on each occasion.
He likes to make out that he had a typical American background, no different to any other wholesome American family in which Dad was head of the CIA. No doubt when they were kids George and his brother could be heard playing in the backyard. "Come on Jeb, let's play destabilising third world governments."

After an expensive education which resulted only in mediocre grades, George Jr took the traditional route for future American politicians and jumped the queue for the National Guard to avoid going to Vietnam. It's a shame for the US that he never took part in the war, because after the North Vietnamese had overrun Saigon and occupied the entire country, Bush could have declared America the winner.

In 1981 Dad became vice-president, which seemed to coincide with the time that George Jr found it easier to get backers for his oil company. Despite his connections his various oil businesses
all foundered, and though his investors lost millions, George somehow always managed to emerge with his personal wealth increased. Who needs oil when Dad can oil the wheels for you?

Even more murky are his financial dealings with the Texas Rangers baseball team. Bush put together a consortium of millionaires to buy the club, and got himself made managing director even though he put up less than 1% of the money himself.

A brand new stadium was built with public money. This greatly increased the value of the club but of course none of this cash was returned to the taxpayer when it was sold again. George pocketed a cool $14.9m and became the man who put the
"base" into baseball.

The association with the Texas Rangers made him a local celebrity and against expectations he was elected governor. He worked very hard in Texas, signing more death warrants than all the other state governors put together. He broke a few other records as well; Texas now has the worst water pollution and air quality of any of the major states.

Bush consistently took the side of big business against the interests of ordinary Texans and what he did for the Lone Star state, he now hopes to do
for all 50. It couldn't be better for the
multinationals if Ronald McDonald himself had got the presidency. In fact Ronald probably would have got the Republican nomination if it wasn't so obvious that he wore make-up.

The only hope is that at today's inauguration, George will trip over his words again and fail to be sworn in as president. Because some of his recent statements suggest he might not be quite up to the world's top job.

Postscript: He did trip over his words, but unfortunately, we are stuck with him.

Old Jan 20th, 2001, 09:49 PM
Reb

Well, look at the positive side. Since he'll have the presidential limo at his side, that'll be one less drunk on the road.

Old Jan 20th, 2001, 11:50 PM
BubbasGone

I love reading the postings from the sniveling whining liberal democRATS. I wonder if they will ever realize that they lost and get on with their pathetic lives. Bubba and his lackey Algore are history despite Algore trying to steal the election.

Thank god that we can now look forward for the next 8 years to some dignity and decency in the White House.

For your information, they did complete the recount in Dade County ( Miami ) and George W. Bush picked up 6 additional votes. So much for Algore winning Florida.

Old Jan 21st, 2001, 12:05 AM
Diane

I was pleased with Bush's inaugeral address, pleased that it was short and to the point rather than being full of empty and pompous rhetoric, pleased that he obviously was trying to be conciliatory and non-partisan. Now if only some of you who have spoken on this thread would try to be a little more conciliatory and non-partisan, perhaps you'll find that things will not be as bad as you fear. I think Bush will accomplish some good things, especially in education and (we all hope) the bad economy that he has been handed.

Jim (above) mentioned that a minority of voters chose George for the White House. Just like Clinton, who got 43% of the vote in 1992 (George W. got 48%) and a similar percentage in 1996 (I don't remember exactly, but it was less than 50%).

They've been counting the votes in Florida, but we haven't heard much about the results. I found a report (on line) from a newspaper in Miami-Dade County that said they had finished counting and Bush came out ahead, NOT Gore as many people had assumed. Maybe we haven't been hearing anything about this recount because the results aren't what the Dems and protestors expected. Maybe it's simply because they haven't finished counting. Can anyone in Florida who is reading the local papers inform us of any results?

God Bless America!

Old Jan 21st, 2001, 06:50 AM
OliveOyl

I'm in FL, Diane. What earthly good is this recount doing but keeping the bitterness alive? It will never prove a thing because there is no standard for what "really" constitutes a vote unless they now set one...how many corners, pin pricks what have you, and that new standard has no meaning set after an election has taken place. If one had been in place beforehand, then perhaps, but not now. And if a standard is set here, should every county in the country that used the punch card system also go back and recount using the new standard? It's absurd.

The fact that Bush "won" Miami-Dade is, under these circumstances, meaningless. Miami-Dade is heavily Democratic...that shouldn't have been. There must have been more chad anomalies there that ended up in Bush's corner and could just as easily have ended up in Gore's.

I live in heavily Republican Hillsborough County where the newspaper conducted a count of the ballots which had no registered vote with the following results: Total Additional for Bush 879, for Gore 999. Of these, Dimples: 660 Bush, 757 Gore. Pin pricks: 91 Bush, 119 Gore. One corner detached: 11 Bush, 16 Gore. 2 Corners detached: 3 Bush, 4 Gore. 3 Corners detached: 67 Bush, 61 Gore. Punched clearly: 47 Bush, 42 Gore. No mark what-so-ever: 3,655. And even the "punched clearly" category...they weren't punched before or the machine would have picked them up...these are votes with no chads now! These cards have been handled so many times, been sent through the counters how many more times and what may have been a one corner chad before, could in the rehandling become a "clear vote". It's meaningless.

When they were packing up the ballots to be sent to Tallahassee, news coverage showed one county worker taking a stack of ballots in her hands, banging the edges down on the tables to align them neatly, then taking her thumb and thumbing through the stack, bending the ballots way back as she did, as you would a deck of cards you were shuffling!! These ballots have been corrupted, whether intentionally or not (that worker was in Democratic Miami-Dade, by the way, lest anyone jump on that) with the end result being that we'll NEVER know who actually won FL.

We do know however, Bush is now EVERYONE'S President, whether you voted for him or not. Let's give it a rest and hope he has the wherewithall to handle the mounting problems before him!! His failures will negatively impact everyone of us, so for those eagerly anticipating his first mis-steps....its time rethink your positions.

Old Jan 21st, 2001, 08:06 AM
Texan

Have you noticed that George Bush & W picked VP's that nobody would want for Pres.--their way of avoiding Tecumseh's curse, maybe?

Old Jan 21st, 2001, 08:55 AM
Diane

Olive Oyl--Thank you for the information. I agree with everything you said with one exception, but now I'm thinking that I may have been naive. I thought that if it could be shown that Bush really DID win Florida (which I believe), all the protesters wouldn't feel so bad. I don't blame them for being frustrated and angry that their man didn't win, especially with the demagogues and victim-gatherers down there persuading the African-Americans that their votes weren't counted.

Thanks for the information on Hillsborough County. I'm glad to see they're breaking down the count, how many "votes" of each kind. So Gore "won" if you count dimpled and pin-pricked ballots, but if you don't count those non-votes--and you shouldn't--then Bush picked up MORE votes in Hillsborough. As I said, I've decided I have been naive. The losers WANT to believe they've been cheated. I also believe the ballots have been hopelessly corrupted by now

Old Jan 21st, 2001, 12:09 PM
Steve

Reelect Gore in 2004

Old Jan 21st, 2001, 12:59 PM
xxx

Re-elect Gore? Impossible to do, since he lost the last election. By the way, have all you Gorons noticed that with all the recounts that continue to be done in Florida, that Bush IS STILL AHEAD??????? Your boy lost Florida, fair & square. All your (worthless) points are moot.

Old Jan 21st, 2001, 01:47 PM
Marie

I'm not sure what the criteria is, but I believe i just may be a snivelling, whining, liberal Democrat living a pathetic life, as referred by an above poster. If the criteria is having voted for Al Gore, then Bingo!! here I am.

My man didn't win, I sure wish he would have won, but I intend to give Mr. Bush the benefit of the doubt, and he and his family are in my prayers.

Old Jan 21st, 2001, 02:43 PM
media

I have to disagree w/Olive and with our slightly overwrought Mr.xxx. I recall th that in late December, an Orlando Sentinel article said that Bush was ahead by 1 vote if you did not count dimples. I think that's where Olive may be getting her numbers. My understanding is that the Miami-Dade totals have not yet been confirmed. Check out the miamiherald.com for first-hand info and not spin. What's at issue now are 437 ballots cast by felons. But I don't know if anyone has detailed how that stacks up to the 20,000 undervotes the machines didn't pick up. It still seems that is a statistically high number in this particular election. If they don't count, then it was faulty voting that determined the winner. Try to couch that in 14th Amendment equal protectin argument, if you can. The only way a chad can partially detach is with a poke.

My point is that Bush had much to lose by going through a fair recount. Had he done so and prevailed, as some of you suggest he is now doing, he would earned the respect of the 52% of the country that did not vote for him. The actual date to confirm electors is January 6. We had the time, and we are fair.

Old Jan 21st, 2001, 02:50 PM
YawnYawn&MoreYawns

No matter the endless spin of the Gore supporters, Bush is ahead in ALL the Florida recounts, like it or not. Read it and weep. Now go cry in your Wheaties.

What a glorious day that we now have a President that will restore honor & dignity to the White House. After 8 years of the filth & scandal, it is a refreshing breath of fresh air!

Old Jan 21st, 2001, 02:53 PM
media

Whatever. The results aren't in. We'll hear about it soon enough, and not from you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -