Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Glacier Natl: Sperry Chalet vs Granite Park, plus Glacier itinerary help!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2006, 08:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am finalizing our family trip for next August 2007 and I need your help deciding my itinerary while in Glacier. We (my wife and two kids 12 & 10) are flying in and out of Calgary. We are driving down to Glacier for 6 nights and then we are spending the last 4 nights of our trip in the Banff area. My Banff plans are set.

Upon arrival in Calgary, we are driving to Many Glacier where I already have 3 nights reserved at Many Glacier and then 3 nights reserved at Lake McDonald. I booked these to make sure that I would have accommodations while in the park, but with intentions to reduce the number of nights at each place to fit in Glacier Park Chalet when I am able to make reservations in October.

My original plan was to stay 2 nights at Many Glacier, hike in and stay 2 nights at Glacier Park Chalet, and then stay 2 nights at Lake McDonald.

I am now second guessing this decision and wondering if I should eliminate 1 of the nights at Glacier Park and add a night at Sperry Chalet.

Which of these Chalets (or both) do you consider a MUST in my itinerary? Is there an advantage to staying 2 nights at Granite Park Chalet? If you had 6 nights to spend in Glacier, how would you plan your trip?

I am now considering this itinerary: 2 nights in Many Glacier, take shuttle from hotel to Logans Pass and hike in to Granite Park Chalet for 1 night. Hike out Swiftcurrent Trail to retrieve our car at Many Glacier and drive GTTS Hwy to Lake McDonald. Stay 1 night in Lake McDonald and (leave our stuff in the room) hike to Sperry Chalet for 1 night. We then return the next day to Lake McDonald for 1 night before heading to Banff.

Please tell me what do you think?
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

ttt

Please help!
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 11:59 AM

I lived in Northern Montana for a year, close to Glacier. It is breathtaking! Lake Mcdonald is really pretty.. I heard right now that there is a huge forest fire in Glacier right now. Last time I saw Lk. Mcdonald the trees surrounding one side were all burnt, but it still was nice. So, you may want to check out where the fire is burning, and maybe go to a part that isn't too devastated.(Course in a year it may not matter). Where are you staying at the lake?
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

We have reservations for a "large cottage" room at Lake McDonald. What is your opinion of these rooms or places to stay in the Lake McDonald area? Thanks!
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 12:44 PM

I haven't stayed there, but I have friend that did- and really liked it. I have however, hiked by it. Have you visited Glacier's website?

http://www.pascomputers.com/LakeMcDonald.phps
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 01:55 PM

Red Eagle fire is of no concern at this time. Fire is 60% contained and driving east away from the park. In any case, by August 2007 I would assume it will be TOTALLY out and other possible fires being the concern.
With 2 children in tow, do you realize how long some of the hikes you mentioned, are?

www.nps.gov/glac/home.htm

Old Aug 8th, 2006, 02:02 PM

I am not a fan of Lake McDonald Lodge. The lobby is 'not to miss,' but the rooms are very primitive with paper thin walls. We stayed in one of the cottage rooms. I think what they are telling you is that the cottage is large, not the necessarily the room. I could be mistaken. The cottage we stayed in had at least 5 'rooms' in it and a front porch overlooking the lake, but...several of those 'rooms' were rented to families with noisy children. It was not my favorite lodging experience. The noisy children aside, I still would choose not to stay there again. There are privately owned facilities close enough that provide better accommodations. That said, I LOVED Many Glacier!
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 02:02 PM

Of course the fires would be out, what I'm talking about is the scenery.
I'm sure you are aware caniac that you really do have to watch out for bears. I hiked to Avalanche Lk. and I later heard that the same day a girl was mauled by a bear there. Also, the mountain goats can be aggressive. Other than that it really is a neat place to go.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 04:31 PM

True enough on bears. But on Avalanche Lake trail? Been here 18 years and have never heard of a bear on that trail. Guess it could happen though.
For grilly viewing at a distance, Iceberg Lake trail is almost a sure thing though it's closed at the moment due to bear activity.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

I am concerned about the bears especially since my children will be with me. I am hoping that since we are considering hiking to Glacier Park on a Fri or Sat that the trail will have more activity, thus helping to keep the bears away. I plan on making lots of noise along the way.

Any suggestions on which Chalet (or both) to hike to?
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 06:29 PM

The Chalets are far different from each other. I have not stayed at either as I tent. Granite Park is like a large dorm with communal cooking area. You bring your own bedding (can rent sheets & blanket) and food (can buy freeze dried packages) and haul your own water from between .25 and .5 miles away. They supply pots & pans as well as a stove to cook on. Will be with 35 others. $70 per night. There are several ways to get here. The shortest but very steep way is off the Going to Sun Road at The Loop. The longest but easiest is to park at visitor center at Logan Pass and take the Highline Trail which runs 7.5 miles to the Chalet. From here you can return same way, go down to The Loop where you can meet the park shuttle (fee) or best continue on over the pass and down into Many Glacier where you can pick up the shuttle to return to car at visitor center. You can hike out of Many Glacier up to the chalet but this is a very strenuous hike.

Sperry on other hand is more like a B&B. Meals, linens and bedding are provided.$160 per night for private rooms. If you don't plan on doing a multiday trip this is an up and back trail.

In either case make reservations early and check their cancellation fees.