Girls' weekend in NYC - Help...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2005, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Three of us are meeting up in NYC in June for a long "girls' weekend".

We plan to shop, maybe see a show, eat out, and just relax and catch up, as it has been a long time since we all saw each other.

We're looking for a "nice" hotel in a safe location. Nothing fancy, but not "budget" like Red Roof Inn type either. I've stayed at the library hotel and loved it, but they do not have anything available.

I've researched and come up with the following. We are looking to spend @ $250/night, $1,500 for 4 nights max.

Can anyone help me and tell me if any of my choices are better than others for what we wants? Here's the list....

1) Giraffe
2) Benjamin (I like that this has a separate living area and little kitchenette for coffee, etc.)
3) Lucerne
4) Muse
5) Belvedere

If anyone has other suggestions that would fit, please pass them on. We tend to like "boutique" type hotels rather than sprawling skyscrapers, but as long as it's nice and safe location, shouldn't matter.
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 01:23 PM

Have you checked the prices specifically for a triple room at these hotels - $250 seems quite low - although perhaps - since it is June?
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Yes, and it is low.

The hotels range from $1,457 for the Giraffe, $1,440 for the Benjamin, $1,346 for the Muse, $1,076 for the Lucerne, and $948 for the Belvedere for 4 nights with the tax included.
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

p.s. - We're all late 40's early 50's so don't care about being near party spots.
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 01:36 PM

Remember to add about 13-15% for taxes.
Old Jan 16th, 2005, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. The rates above are inclusive of tax.

Someone recommended Hotel Park South and Shelburne at Murray Hill - wondering how these compare to above.
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 10:58 AM

I can't compare the ones you've listed, although I've heard the Benjamin is nice and does have a kitchenette. But I thought I'd throw another choice into the mix: The Fitzpatrick. It has 2 locations, one near Grand Central and one near Bloomingdale's (might be right up your alley?). We put our out-of-town wedding guests at the Grand Central locations and stayed there ourselves on our wedding night. It is an Irish chain. Both are small hotels (althoug the Bloomie's location is larger). They have lovely rooms and nice service. The GC location has a pub that offers breakfast. I think you can also get tea in the lobby in the afternoon.
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 11:11 AM

Hi wanderer. Questions to ask yourself:

Do I care about having a kitchen?
What about sleeping arrangements for 3? Will 2 of you share a bed?? Or will one of you sleep on a pull out sofa?
Do you care about typical hotel amenities like room service etc.? If not,would you consider renting an apt.?
Would you prefer a residential location or a more midtown location? Do any of you know your way around NYC?

If you answer these questions we can help more. The Muse and the Belvedere are the most basic on your list but they're also in the Times Square area. The Benjamin is the best location for combo shopping/theater IMO but reviews on tripadvisor sound like it's a bit thread worn. The Park South has special weekend packages but I hear rooms there are small so not sure how you'd manage with 3 to a room.

Bottom line, I think if 3 are staying together, you really need a suite set up so you have some extra space.
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 03:37 PM

I priced out a suite at The Blakely recently that sounded very nice. I think it was $350/night (that was at Christmas). As I recall it had 2 beds plus a pull out. They JUST finished a remodel, so it should be clean. It is a boutique hotel - no services to speak of (which I personally prefer...) Parking is across the street.
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 03:23 AM
Original Poster

I will be coming from MA, another one of us from CA, and the 3rd from NJ. I have been to the city many times, but don't know my way around that well. My CA friend has been a few times, and my NJ friend knows the city very well.

None of us will have a car - 2 of us are flying in, the NJ friend taking the train.

We've all seen all the NYC "sights" so just wanted this to be a relaxing get-together - we haven't seen each other in a long while, with some good (moderately priced) dining mixed in, shopping, and maybe a show.

I'm not so crazy about Times Square - I felt claustraphobic there when I was there last May. Too hectic and noisy for me, but NYC is noisy, I know. I lean more toward the Village.

Don't really care if we have a kitchenette, just thought the LR area would give us extra space with the pull-out couch. Don't have any phobias either about one of us having to share a bed with another, so if it's 2 beds only, that's OK too.

I tried the Fitzpatrick, they had no rooms available. Blakely I haven't heard of, but will check out. Don't care about amenities - room service, etc., but do prefer boutique type hotels rather than budget boxes. Stayed at The Library my last trip and loved it. They have no rooms though.

An apartment would be an option, but we only are staying long weekend, and I whave no idea how to find out about those ???

Our budget is no more than $1,500 for the 4 nights. Any other suggestions would be appreciated...
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 07:58 AM

There are really very few hotels in the village and the ones there are are either more basic (The Roger Williams) or the newer uber trendy ones in the meatpacking district like the Gansevoort and the Soho House (where I think you have to be a member, but not sure). There are a number of "inns" or b & bs but they're not what I would choose if you want to spend some time there vs. just using it to sleep. You can check the Abingdon Guest House and see what you think. On tripadvisor there are a few other properties listed under that section that look good (one is listed under "rooms to let") but I really don't know too much about them. I also haven't seen any short term apt rentals in the village that I think would suit your needs.

Someone else here has mentioned several times about renting a studio on Bleecker St. from this website

http://www.metro-home.com/

and liked it. But again, not sure about it for more than just sleeping.

You might like Soho, south of the village, which has become a big shopping mecca. Bloomingdales even opened a store down there. There are 3 hotels there, the Soho Grand, the Mercer and 60 Thompson. Not sure about suite options in any of these. I just warn you it's very busy in Soho on a weekend and you'd definitely have to cab or subway to the theater.

If I were joining your group, I'd choose

1) The Surrey-part of the Affinia group that also owns the Benjamin. It's on the upper east side near the Met Museum and just off Madison Ave. It's a residential area with art galleries and boutiques. Cafe Boulud is off the lobby. All suites with kitchens.

2) The Benjamin or the Affinia 50-both all suite Affinia hotels in midtown in the east 50s. Good for shopping and theater.

The Elysee is not an all suite hotel but may have some suites. I think it would be similar in feeling to the Library but in a nicer location IMO.

The Lowell Hotel is in the same general neighborhood as the above and all rooms are suites, some with terraces. Don't know if it will fall in your budget.

3) The Lucerne, the Beacon or the Milburn, all on the upper west side. This is also primarily residential. It's a bit more casual than upper east side, easy access to the theater district. The Beacon and Milburn are all suites with kitchenettes. The Lucerne is probably the nicest hotel of the 3 but not sure about suites or rooms for 3.

There are quite a few other midtown options but didn't want to confuse you too much. I think the Blakely would be a good idea if you were doing more theater, but otherwise, I prefer the locations that I've mentioned above.
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 07:24 PM

We just visited in December and stayed at the Righa Royale. It is a Marriott hotel, and in a wonderful location. On 54th between 6th, and 7th. We walked to Time Sq., Radio city, NBC and Today show, shopping all up and down 5th Ave. Walked to Central Park as well as two blocks from David Letterman. Our room was a suite with king size bed and couch was a hideabed (and comfortable for a hideabed). The bathroom was huge and lovely. Only complaints were no internet access in room, and no coffee pot (but Fluffy's around the corner is awesome).
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Our final 3 - after hours and hours looking and pricing and checking availability are all part of Affinia Group.

Affinia Dumont, Benjamin, and Shelburne.

I like the Shelburne least of all - just not my style - too "grandmotherish" in the decor. I'm leaving toward either Dumont or Benjamin. I like that the these have spas which might be fun for a girl's weekend. Dumont has outdoor patio dining, and Benjamin has a bar. Shelburne has rooftop bar which is nice.

Anyone have comments on comparing these 3 - decor, location, size, etc.?

I am aware someone said The Benjamin was "tired and worn" on tripadvisor, but didn't see that with recent reviews on Fodors.

Both the Dumont and Shelburne are 450-650 sq. feet for a One BR Suite. Remarkably, the Shelburne is the most expensive. According the Affinia's web site, Benjamin is Luxury, Affinia is Signature, which is a level below Luxury, and Shelburn is Manhattan, their most basis level.
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 12:59 PM

You don't mention the size of the suite at the Benjamin. I like that location (Benjamin) and the Affinia 50, which was not in your final picks, better than other 2. Check the Salisbury. I know, you're tired of it. Just check it out.
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

Thks mclaurie, you've been great. Affinia website doesn't mention size like the others do, so I have no idea. Floor plan looks bigger, but I will call hotel and ask.

I will check out Salisbury...

Curious why you like Affinia 50 better than Affinia Dumont - location or otherwise?
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 03:41 PM

Purely a location preference. 34 st is just not a very glamorous location for a NYer. It's convenient for transportation, but the 50s are closer to nicer shops (Saks, Bergdorf, Bendel's, Rock Ctr, Bloomies). 34 st is closer to tourist areas (Empire State and shops like Macy's). I just like the area of the 50s better and I think many NYers would feel the same. Nicer restaurants too.