girls weekend Cleveland, Ohio?

Old Jun 27th, 2008, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
girls weekend Cleveland, Ohio?

hello, would a 3-4 day trip to Cleveland, Ohio, be fun for women? (ages 50+). We're planning our trip for middle to late October, 2008. We've been told it's an overlooked destination. We've also been told they have great theatre (Broadway shows)...We know about the R&R Hall of Fame,(could be interesting) as well as Football Hall of Fame, (don't really care about that)...We'd probably like to stay "downtown" or whatever is close to Theatre / shopping / dining. Any interesting tours, or day trips, not to be missed? What else can you reccommend? I have to do more research myself, just wondering on Fodorites thoughts on this. Thank-you. (oh, & someone told us it's 2hrs to Pittsburgh from Cleveland, is Pittsburgh "not to be missed?" Thanks all
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 07:20 AM

I think either city could be fun for a girls weekend. I wouldnt try to do both at the same time. My SIL just returned from a girls weekend in Cleveland. They had a blast. Believe it or not, they chose Cleveland so they could go to Trader's Joes, which is in the burbs, so they stayed near there. There is a great shopping in the burbs also. although they planned to get downtown, they never made it (thats another story-they are maj jong addicts). The Art musuem is wonderful, The R & R HOF is really cool, their is a great science musuem right next door to R & R HOF; The Football HOF is pretty cool also.
Between Cleveland and Pittsburgh, I think Pittsburgh is easier to get around, especially downtown. Better mass transit and things that you want to do seem to be concentrated than in Cleveland.
If shopping is your thing, note that there is little or no sales tax on clothing purchases in PA-only luxury items.
For either city, I would check the NFL schedule to see if there is a home game. That might change the hotel picture/prices, etc. Both cities are wild about their football teams
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 09:18 AM

Another thing to keep in mind if you are going to be hanging around downtown is the construction. When I was there in April for a symphony concert, there were several city streets completely torn out and many accompanying detours.

We had dinner in Cleveland's Little Italy that evening as well. Fun and highly recommended.
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

thanks, any comments about Broadway shows touring in Cleveland?
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 02:42 PM

There are many good Broadway Shows that tour in Cleveland. I would check out playhousesquare.org to see what is playing and then plan your trip. (I think A Chorus Line, Legaly Blond, and Mary Poppins are coming next season)

Playhouse square is the oraganizations that hosts the broadway shows, but there are often good plays at the Cleveland Playhouse also.

There are many things to do in University Circle. If you like classical music, the world class Cleveland Orchestra plays at Severance Hall. I am not sure what will be happening with the art museum next fall. (it is undergoing renovation/expansion) The botanical garden is fabulous- Costa Rican Rainforest and Madagascar desert in addition to the gardens.

Little Italy is close to University Circle and has many lots of art galleries and food. I would eat here one night.

The other place I would eat is in the public square/ West 25 area.

The West side market is fun on a Saturday morning. Lots of ethnic food stands.

Lolly the Trolley does a variety of Cleveland Tours, not sure if this is what you are looking for.

Day trips in the fall might be to Amish country, or to one of the apple farms for an apple festival
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 04:46 PM

recommend this restaurant for a lovely cozy dinner.

http://www.sergioscleveland.com/

Also Hudson, Ohio is a quaint New England type village with shopping, B&B, etc.

Must see RRHF, great for 3-4 hours of nostalgia.
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 06:46 PM

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Legacy Village in Beachwood (just east of the city of Cleveland). It has lots of shopping and restaurants, such as Crate and Barrel and Cheescake Factory.
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 02:21 PM

Hi! I'm a lifelong Clevelander. For shopping, I'd go to Legacy Village, Beachwood Place (both on the East side) or Crocker Park (Westlake). If you like fine dining, eat in at Michael Symon's restaurant, Lola Bistro. It is located in the Gateway district. There's a quaint neighborhood called Tremont with a lot of fine/ casual dining, art galleries, and shops. LIttle Italy is a fun place, too.
For a day trip, I'd go to Mapleside Farms in Brunswick. In October they have their Fall festival. They have apples, pumpkins, hay rides, corn mazes, and great apple pie.
I hope this helps.
Old Jun 30th, 2008, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

thanks everyone! great tips, I will check these out