girls trip to seattle

Search

girls trip to seattle

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
girls trip to seattle

My girlfriends and I are planning a trip to Seattle in early May. None of us have ever been to Seattle but have heard great things and are very excited. I was looking for a few pointers on what to see and do. We are hoping to stay in a central location in the city. Any recommendations on convenient and affordable accomadations?
We also all enjoy dancing and music. Any tips on good venues for live music and a little dancing? One of our group is underage so it must be age appropriate.
We were also hoping to make a side trip to Victoria, B.C. Is this something that could be done as a day trip or do you recommend staying overnight? Thanks in advance for the help!
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 02:14 AM

I stayed at the Comfort Suites in Seattle last year. Its right near the Space Needle at a decent rate. Sites that I would recommend are Space Needle, Pike Place Market, boat tour on the Sound. A trip out to Snoqualmie falls. Could also do day trips to Mt Rainier or Mt St Helens. Not sure about Victoria.
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 04:13 AM

You can do a day trip to Victoria via the Clipper, but it's worth an overnight if you can spare the time and money.

You might get lucky with a downtown hotel on Priceline in early May. The downtown core is where you'll want to be for shopping and dining - you can walk to Pike Place, the waterfront, Belltown (nightlife), and Pioneer Square (you may want to cab it here or take the bus tunnel - it's a longer walk). I'm not sure about underage dance venues anymore, but check the Stranger or the Weekly for entertainment listings.
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 05:11 AM

We stayed at the Inn on the Market which was very nice. To save a bit of money, we opted for the city view room rather than the harbour view room but our room was fine, if not as posh as the other. The hotel has a lovely upstairs terrace which overlooks the water. It was too cold for us might might be fine in May. Service was fabulous. The parking valet even drove us to our evening event in the hotel town car because he couldn't get us a cab and came to pick us up there afterwards!

The hotel is steps from Pike Place Market and a few blocks walk from the main shopping area at 5th Avenue.

If you do go to Victoria and stay overnight, check out the Hotel Magnolia. Also, there's an excellent and inexpensive Indian food buffet in the Bengal Lounge at the Empress Hotel. Limited choices and very high quality.
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 05:30 AM

What is your budget?

Old Jan 30th, 2008, 07:18 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You'll want to stay in downtown Seattle.

The Mayflower Park is a great hotel, very centrally located.

For less money, the Days Inn is OK, clean and as cheap as you'll find downtown.

Pensione Nichols or the Ace Hotel are more 'funky' options (they have websites).

Mid-price the Mediterranean on lower Queen Anne is nice but less central.

Check out The Seattle Weekly and The Stranger either online, or pick up the (free weekly) newspaper after you get here and check the entertainment section.

It's a long day trip but you can take the Victoria Clipper up and back on the same day. It's fun. Leaves from downtown Seattle waterfront.

Old Jan 30th, 2008, 11:32 AM

There's also a good Seattle forum over at Trip Advisor.
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 08:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the responses so far! We will definitely be looking into the day trips and hotels you've suggested. And thanks for the tips on the free newpapers!
I forgot to mention in my original post that we will be there a total of 5 days and since we've gotten such a steal on the plane tickets we are willing to splurge a little on having an authentic Seattle experience. Keep the suggestions coming!
Thanks to goddesstogo on the great sounding Indian food suggestion. Any must eat Seattle foods would also be appreciated! We love to eat and we're always hungry
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 06:43 AM

I was there in Nov/Dec for a girls week as well, and we stayed at the Mayflower Park. We had a room with 2 queen beds and 2 full bathrooms. My friend and I do a girls trip every year to different places, and we said this bathroom setup was the best. The hotel is very nice, and the location cannot be beat.
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 07:04 AM

Since you mention splurge and Seattle... definitely go up the Space Needle! It's $16pp just for the elevator ride, but the view is incredible.

The Smith Tower in Pioneer Square is another place you can take the elevator up to the Chinese Room obsevation deck. Another very interesting view of the city.
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 03:33 PM

Coming from once living in the area- if you want to visit Victoria- spend the night and enjoy dinner, dancing there for an evening.In Seattle better to stay downtown area so you can walk around. Must sees Pike Street Market.- lots of good eats, and the waterfront. Space Needle is fun- I like it better at night, Mt. Rainier is absolutely gorgeous (depends if ya'll enjoy outdoors) and is a good day trip. Ditto on checking out the Stranger & Seattle Weekly- good for music, dancing, and food. Pioneer Square, The Seattle Art Museum, the U District (University of Washington area) and if you don't take a trip to Victoria via a ferry, a ferry trip to Port Townsend or Bainbridge Island can be fun if you enjoy ferries & small towns. There is a new sculpture park downtown near the waterfront that can be fun to explore (sorry don't remember the name), oh! and don't forget Experience Music Project- check it out for a fun museum experience www.emplive.org

Have fun!
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 04:04 PM

Good suggestion from luster~ it's called "Olympic Sculpture Park"