Search

Girls Trip to NYC

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30th, 2005, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Girls Trip to NYC

Okay, this is a re-post, since it was suggested to change my title....

*****Me and 4 of my girlfriends are going to NYC on Wed Jan 4 - Sat Jan 7, leaving late Sat night. We are all 21 - 23 years old and looking for good shopping during the day, sightseeing a little, and going out at night. I've been before, but none of them ever have. I would like to know about some good places to eat dinner and a place for a Saturday Brunch before we leave that night. Can anyone offer any suggestions that won't overly break the bank. We are staying in the Times Square area. Thanks so much!!*****

Even though we are staying in Times Square, its only because I found the right price for a room big enough for 5 people, and so they can see some touristy things, since they've never been before. We wil probably do the Empire State Building, Rockefeller Center, and The Sex and the City tour (since we love that show!!!) during the day.

But I want to find some "hip" places in Soho, the village, lower east side, etc.... to eat, drink, and shop. I expect we would probably spend $50 - $100 per person for dinner (including drinks and tip) one or two nights, and then keep it a little lower the other night. Any good streets where there are a couple bars we can hit in one night???

I have read about Balthazar and think we are probably going to go there for brunch on Saturday. I appreciate all your suggestions so far, keep them coming!!! =)
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 06:17 AM

Me would like to go to NY too. have fun.
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 06:53 AM

Suggest that you structure your nightlife/dining by neighborhood. With 5 girls, you will have to take 2 cabs, so you will be much better off if you can pick a neighborhood and then just walk various places. With three nights, I would go with:

1 night in the Lower East Side. Do your "night out" dinner here. My top picks would be Thor (better food) or Stanton Social (better atmosphere, great for groups who like to share).

1 night in the Upper East or Upper West Side (would probably pick the UWS if you are staying in Times Square). This would not be trendy, but I imagine that you'll need a bit of a break one night. And it will be a lot easier on the wallet. I would not give this same advice to a 30-year-old, but at 21-23, uptown can be a rowdy good time. Plus, there are many local, inexpensive dining options. Post back with the types of food you are looking for, and I'm sure people will be happy to give suggestions.

1 night in the Meatpacking. Sure, the Meatpacking is "over" for true trendsetters, but you should see it anyway. Eat at Fatty Crab or Florent (basically a diner, but good).

Brunch at Balth will allow you to see some of Soho.

Have an amazing time! Happy to answer any specific questions!

(Oh, and if you do decide to go see a show, I HIGHLY recommend Avenue Q. I saw it for the first time at 22, and was at amazed at how wittily the show reflected my early 20-something urban experience.)
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

KikiLee - Thanks for your suggestions, they sound great! Any good restaurants for dining while in the Chinatown area for lunch??
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 07:11 AM

Try Wo Hop - cheap, not at all healthy, and delicious.
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 08:05 AM

Hello! I would recommend Divine Bar, which has a location near where you'll be staying (54th, between 8th and 9th). There is also a location on the East Side, on E. 51 between 2nd & 3rd, if you find yourselves there.

It's a really fun lounge-type place where they serve a variety of tapas and a cheese menu, as well as "flights" of wine (3-4 samples in different categories). They also offer the regular wine, beer, and alcohol menu. It's great with a group of any size, because you can get a few dishes for the table to eat. Also, it's reasonably priced, which helps!

The website is
http://divinebar.citysearch.com/

Also, in general, the Lower East Side is packed with places to go out. You'd be fine just picking an area and seeing what looks interesting to you!

Have fun!
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 08:06 AM

Oops, just realized I misspoke- Divine Bar West is between Broadway & 8th, not 8th and 9th. Sorry!