Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Any golf camps, instructors, or golf schools in your warm weather area that you would recommend?

Search

Any golf camps, instructors, or golf schools in your warm weather area that you would recommend?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2005, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings wise Fodorites...

I offered to do a little research for a family member. This November, he is looking to take his 16 y.o. daughter for a father-daughter golf long weekend.

When I asked him what his ideal weekend would be, this was his response:

"Fly in Wednesday night, each day (Thurs-Fri-Sat) take a golf lesson in the morning and follow it up with a round of golf in the afternoon, fly home Sunday."

I grabbed the most recent copy of my husband's Golf Digest, thinking that there might be school info in the back. Ironically, there are the top 50 instructors in the US in this issue. However, I don't think they "need" the top instructors, it's not like they are going pro or anything, they just like to golf, he has been golfing for years and the 16 y.o. just learned last year. They are just looking for a little bonding time and tips on how to improve their game.

They can fly anywhere in the continental US, budget for airfare, accommodations, rounds of golf and lessons, dining etc. is between $2000 and $3000.

Do you live in an area that has decent weather during the first week of November and can you recommend a school or instructor for this father and daughter?

Looking forward to reading your thoughts!

Best wishes, Tiff
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

topping my post with great hope...
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 11:34 AM

Tiff, do a search on Myrtle Beach. The weather should be good in November. With 120 or so courses, they have great golf packages, instructors, accommodations, etc.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 11:35 AM

Hi Tiff, my DH played golf but I never did but know there are a town of golf schools. I wonder if in November San Diego would be a good location weather wise, or Florida? By November N.California can be iffy. Some years it is beautiful other years there is rain.

Hopefully some golfer here will be able to answer your questions. Sound like a great daughter/father get away. What a great idea. Wish more fathers would do short trips like this with their daughters, I think it would be wonderful memories for both of them.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 11:37 AM

Here's a link that will help you out.

http://www.myrtlebeachgolf.com/
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 11:45 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I would recommend Kingsmill in Williamsburg, VA. The River Course is the site one of the biggest LPGA tournaments. In addition, to the River Course there are two more highly rated 18 hole courses and a really fun par 3. The resort is gorgeous and features an indoor pool, great exercise room and a spa. There is a golf academy with video etc. but if that is too much there are several pros on staff for lessons. Tim is really nice and awfully cute. The 16 yo would have fun taking a lesson from him. The Williamsburg area is filled with courses including the top ranked Golden Horseshoe at the Inn.
The beginning of November offfers some of the best weather in Williamsburg.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 11:59 AM

The golf school associated with Disney World in Florida has a great staff and can customize a lesson/play package. Plus there would be other attractions in the area.

Old Jul 26th, 2005, 12:01 PM

I know you said continental US, but I'll put in a plug for Hawaii anyway. No better place for golf than here. Wonderful courses, always wonderful weather. Every resort has golf schools available as well. Kapalua on Maui as an outstanding one.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Hi everyone, thank you so much for the great replies!

Budman, this round is on me thank you for that link! I think I will be using that in the future for my own needs as well as reference for this family member's needs, great packages!

Hi LoveItaly, thanks for your thoughts, he is indeed a great Dad! It has been a pleasure to assist him in this planning.

Birdie, great suggestion on VA, we actually have relatives living in Maryland, so that may be appealing to them. Although we don't want the 16 y.o. to fall in teenage love with "Tim" and not want to come home, lol!

Mlgb, another great suggestion, he took her there once when she was little for a vacation, so that might be a good loaction as they have special memories there!

Travelinandgolfin, you've got that right! My DH and I were at Kapalua during the Mercedes last year and it is indeed breathtaking!

I wanted to give them at least three ideas and let them 'take it from there' so thank you everyone, I have some great spots to choose from.

Get that birdie! Tiff
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 03:42 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't worry! Tim is harmless, married but nice to look at and very sweet. Let us know where they end up. Dad & Daughter, time as we call it, is very special.
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Hi again everyone ~

I don't know if you will remember this thread or not, but I wanted to pop back in and let you know we went with Myrtle Beach, the Bay Tree Golf Plantation.

Private instructor for father and daughter, it sounds like a lovely long weekend, with lots of good bonding Dad & Daughter Time!

I'll post again after they return to let you know what they thought.

Thank you again to everyone that responded. This thread has so many ideas for future golfers!

Best wishes, Tiff
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 08:37 AM
GoTravel

Tiff, tell them to try and make it to play one of the fabulous Barefoot Golf Courses (Norman, Love, Fazio, and Dye). They were just ranked the number one course in the Myrtle Beach area.

We played a couple weeks ago and they were fantastic!

Thanks for the update!

Old Oct 17th, 2005, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Thank GoT, I appreciate it and I will pass this along to them!

Old Nov 30th, 2005, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Greetings golfers ~

I just wanted to re-post to let you know our family members did finally decide, and have now returned from their father-daughter weekend.

They decided on Bay Tree Plantation in Myrtle Beach and loved it. They (ok, I) booked it through an organization called 'America’s Favorite Golf Schools' www.afgs.com (800-365-6640) They were wonderful, and the accommodations were equally wonderful. The father of this father/daughter mix is a seasoned golfer and he really couldn't say enough good things. Loved the golf pro they had, he was on the senior tour, felt they benefited greatly from his knowledge and experience.

They book for all areas of the country. One thing I should mention is that Bay Tree is to be no more, the land has been bought and it will be a future residential development, so all of their golf pros are not down the road at another course called Wachesaw Plantation East, which is supposed to be very nice.

Thank you again everyone for your great suggestions. I hope this thread will be useful for future golfer vacations!

Get that birdie! Tiff