Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Girl's getaway weekend in Savannah advice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2007, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend and I (late 20's/early 30's)are looking to meet up for a 4-day getaway in Savannah in mid-February. I have read every post from the last year regarding Savannah, and I still need help!

We are hoping to not rent a car, so we are looking for a hotel or B&B that will put us in walking distance of everything in the historic district. Any recommendations? We would like to pay no more than $200 a night, if that is possible. A place that offers two beds in a room would be ideal, I know not all B&Bs offer that option....

We are interested in historical/local attractions/museums, shopping, dining (both fine and casual), and laid back bars (not into dance clubs). If anyone could provide some insight, we'd appreciate it.

Also, would we be missing out terribly by not renting a car to see some outlying areas? Or will we have enough to do in Savannah itself for 4 days, walking and using public transport/trollies/taxis?
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 08:18 PM

You should have no problem finding a room with two beds in the Historic District in February for $200 or less.

www.savannahvisit.com and tripadvisor.com are terrific resources for visiting Savannah. You might want to post your inquiry on the Savannah Forum on TA - there are many helpful "local experts" there.

Any lodging in the Historic District will put you in walking distance of nearly everything.

We found Olde Town Trolley tours to have the best route and guides. Pookie was one of the best tour guides we've enjoyed anywhere!

We, despite advice to the contrary, had a fabulous dinner at Lady & Sons (off the menu, not the buffet).

One of our favorite spots was Planters Tavern, where Gail Thurmond is magnificent on the piano and the menu (you can feast on appetizers) is the same as the Pink House restaurant upstairs.

For lodging, you have a look at Staybridge Suites on East Bay. They have two bed rooms, all with coffee makers, full kitchens actually, breakfast included, and rates are under $200. It's nicely located and receives overwhelmingly positive reviews on TA. A few steps away is B. Matthews (a bakery/cafe/bar) - just terrific!

Be sure to print out the free trolley map and schedule. And, if you have a cell phone, store the Pedi-Cab number 912-507-9144 for getting "home" late at night from a bar.

If you're really interested in history, architecture, just about anything, and ghosts (his specialty), hire Bobby Davis www.exploresavannah.com for a couple of hours or half a day (longer would be exhausting unless you have his boundless energy).
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 03:32 AM

I agree with the Trolley Tours. They are wonderful and most have on-and-off privaleges, which mean you can get off at a stop and catch another trolley later on. Just make sure to ask before you take a specific trolley. The trolleys usually base themselves at the visitors center. Another great tour is the Riverboat tour. You can catch this at the Riverwalk.
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 06:37 AM

To see some outlying areas have Grayline Tours pick you up at your hotel. They offer a "Low Country" tour that is very interesting. They take you to a plantation and fishing towns in the low country.
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 05:22 PM

I posted in other Savannah forums. The Planters Inn is a great place to stay. Great location, nice ambiance. http://www.plantersinnsavannah.com/ Walk everywhere, dinner at one of the great places by City Market. Girabaldi's or Saphire Grill along with many others. Elizabeth's on 37th. is another place but you will need to drive or take a cab. Reviews are not as good as they used to be.I am not a big fan of the Pink House, Pirates House, etc. Every tourist in the world ends up there and the food reflects it. Lady and Sons off the menu is great but you will have to wait forever and I won't do that. If you end up late at night away from your hotel you can take a cab relatively inexpensively. We walked many an night after a great dinner and some wine and never had any problem.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 12:02 PM

I second Garibaldi's and Elizabeth on 37th. My two favorite restaurants in Savannah! I did like the Olde Pink House, though, but we never made it down to the bar. Mrs. Wilkes is a great alternative to the Lady and Sons. You'll have to wait a bit, but it's a shady street and there's lots of pretty houses to look at.

The Telfair Museum is great. We didn't know what to expect when we went in, and we really enjoyed it. The tour of the Juliette Gordon Lowe house is really interesting too (the Girl Scout founder).

The only thing you'll really miss without a car is Bonaventure Cemetary. I loved driving through it and getting out and seeing all the old tombstones, and Conrad Aiken's plot, but maybe you could take a cab.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 12:20 PM

I just got back from Savannah & LOVED it. If you can, stay at The Kehoe House. It's in a great section of town in the Historic District and from there you can walk to just about anything. The rooms are gorgeous and the service is impeccable (the pics on their website do NOT do them justice). It's a B&B and they serve a huge gourmet breakfast every morning & have wine and cheese in the afternoons.

If you're looking for laidback bars you should definitely go on the Haunted Pub Tour with Gregg (I think his last name is Profit?). Someone here should be able to give you the contact info. You'll discover little pubs/bars on your walk around the city and there are a ton of them along River Street & in City Market.

If you're into spas there are a few nice ones in town, that might be a fun afternoon for the two of you. Do the Telfair Museum & the Owens-Thomas House (you can buy discounted tickets if you do both) and the Mercer House for sure...there are a million historical things to tour so that should keep you pretty busy. Also, since Savannah is a walking town be sure to bring comfortable shoes. I brought a pair of high heels (which I usually wear where I live) and didn't wear them once because of all the walking...LOL!

FYI, there's not *too* much shopping---there are some cute boutiques and such but it is not a city filled with malls/huge department stores/etc. so if you desperately need a shopping fix you could do 2 days Savannah and 2 days Charleston. Just a thought!
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 12:30 PM

I also second the Kehoe House! We stayed there and LOVED it.

One Fish, Two Fish is a cute shop, I meant to mention that. E. Shaver is a great bookstore, too.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 01:06 PM

Savannah has nice malls; they are just not in the historic area. You will find them south of town on Route 204. The thing about shoppping in Savannah is that they have SO MANY stores, they are almost oversaturated; therefore, you can almost always find very good sales. I have never shopped there when I did not find good deals and great selections.