Savannah home and Garden Tour

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am trying to book it now. Would love to stay in a B and B or small old hotel in the historic district. My DH cannot come so I will either be alone or with a girlfriend and want something safe and convenient to the festivities. Ihow many days to see it all? I cannot do everything each day-- have limited energy. But love gardens, love Savannah, love old houses...this seems worthwhile. Is it?
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 03:28 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
It's one of the best events in Savannah. VERY well run and organized. Each day/evening tour is different with different private homes/gardens on tour. Any day/time you choose will be a good tour.

I'd stay at the Staybridge Suites for locations and amenities at a good price. See other Savannah threads for more discussions on Savannah hotels.

Oh, you said "old". Look at the Eliza Thompson house.
Old Feb 8th, 2011, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, that is reassuring since it is a bit pricey. It sounds great and will give me a good jump on Spring
Old Feb 8th, 2011, 04:48 AM

The Eliza Thompson house is a very good choice. I often stay in a private apartment nearby and have recommended it to co-workers who have loved it. It's a great location if you are solo or with a friend.

Around the corner is Monterey Square. I've not done a tour of the Johnny Mercer house yet (but want to).

A block away is Mrs. Wilkes Boarding House. Be sure to go there for lunch one day. More info if you want it.

The Savannah institution Clary's is two blocks away on Abercorn. A great place to go for breakfast or lunch or just for coffee and a snack.

The Gryphon Tea Room (run by SCAD) is two blocks away and great for afternoon tea or lunch - or again, a place to stop for coffee/ hot chocolate or just to rest. The SCAD store is across the treat and full of unique hand-made items.

A bit further away is the Soho South cafe. We had a small Savannah GTG there and everyone enjoyed it. A bit further away is my favorite restaurant, the Pink House.

The B&B location is perfect and will be in the middle of the different tour locations. You can add to the list or have a wonderful few days in Savannah visiting the tours and the above locations. Enjoy the trip!
Old Feb 8th, 2011, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

This sounds ideal. On fact, I just reserved their last room fcr Garden Week. ( i even have to switch rooms after 1 night and don't care). Love the idea of walking to everything, being across from SCAD. I will be travelling solo ( I think) so location and convenience are crucial. Thanks so much. I will check out all the old threads ( and make plane and garden tour reservations tomorrow). Spring can't come too soon!
Old Feb 8th, 2011, 01:51 PM

I'm so glad. For years I stayed very nearby and it's the perfect location for the tour - especially if you are solo. The places I listed are places that you would be comfortable going to alone.

Keep in mind that SCAD owns buildings all over Savannah. The SCAD store has stuff that students and teachers create - so everything is handmade and one of a kind.

I'm going to be there on business that week. I guess I need to make reservations. If the plans don't change, anyway. We may end up on the same tour!

Do a search for lots of threads on Savannah with a lot of good ideas and suggestions.
Old Feb 9th, 2011, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

I'm too late! I couldn't get in to one garden tour. And though I did get into the walking self guided tours, not at my first choice of times. and it was turning into a 1500 weekend--by myself. So I signed up to be on the email list for the tours, in hopes of getting enough of a head start next year to make sure my DH is available, that we sign up for the events when they are first available, and book a hotel right away.

Meanwhile, it will still be cold here in April, so we are still planning to go (either in April or for the first weekend in May) and take your suggestions. And I'm trying to arrange for my WB (Wonderful Brother and SIL) to join us.
Thanks so much.
Old Feb 10th, 2011, 02:21 AM

I'll check on the "too late" part of it. I rarely buy my tickets in advance so I'm not sure what you are saying.

I did post earlier about a great walking tour -
www.savannahrambles.com
He's an architect who used to work for the historic group and started giving tours at this event. He has recently started his own tour business - and he is fabulous. Just so you know for whenever you visit.
Old Feb 10th, 2011, 02:22 AM

You could probably cut your hotel expenses if you wanted to stay in a different place (than the B&B)
Old Feb 10th, 2011, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

We will go in April. The person you recommend in your post is leading garden tours for home and garden weekend. Alas, they are sold out. We will book Savannah Rambles as soon as we have a date. A walk to everything B&B with DH sounds perfect. I am counting on seeing wonderful gardens and charming squares and interesting architecture whenever we go, even if it is not Marxh 24-27. In Apeil I should have even better weather and my family with me. Sounds great.
I intend to heed a lot of your suggestiona. Will poat. Reip eeport.
Thanks again
Old Feb 21st, 2011, 05:15 PM

As for hotels, we're in the Hilton Garden Inn Midtown at the moment, booked on Priceline, at their set price, $85, for King Evolution room, which is wonderful. It's about a 15 minute drive to the Historic area, plus they have a free shuttle if that's better for you. Free wifi is included as is parking.