Reload this Page >

Gina, et al: Hiking in Alaska

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 01:28 PM
Clousie

Seems as though the Alaska posts have been quiet lately. Hope you're still around, Gina.

I'm now trying to figure out some hikes for our July trip to
Alaska, especially around Valdez. Are many of the hikes above tree line?
Are trail heads easy to find? I've tried looking in several books, but they
seemed to focus more on backpacking. Have you discovered a good book for
trails?

Also since we're taking your advice and staying at Thompson Pass Chalet,
could you tell me a bit about it. Is it well supplied with dishes, kitchen
equipment, etc? Is there a good supermarket in Valdez for supplies?

Where did you decide to stay in Seward? We're staying at Stoney Creek Inn,
which is a B&B seven miles north of town. We're still trying to check out
hikes in that area, too.

Thanks for any suggestions you can make. We're really looking forward to
our first visit to Alaska.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 02:57 PM
Alan Cleveland

Hi Clouise, I don't think I can help you much in Valdez except to say that the vast majority of the state is public land, and we pretty much hike wherever it looks good. And, that locals in the area should be able to direct you to some of their maintained trails.

The Seward area on the other hand offers lots and lots of trails. There are trails going up into the mountains on either side of Resurrection Bay, and there is a fairly easy hike that runs the beach and forest out from Lowell Point. Also, you can rent Kayaks out there and go beach exploring on your own. Including having a water taxi haul you out away from the masses to begin the adventure. It's a blast! Even if you only make it as far as Tonsina Creek, it's a nice beach to build a fire and have a picnic.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 10:46 AM
Clousie

Thanks, Alan.

I think you may have been the person who suggested Gull Rock Trail in Hope. Can you tell me any more about that trail?

Clousie

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 07:21 AM
Alan Cleveland

I've not tried Gull Rock Trail, but I can tell you that the Hope area is also an excellent choice for hiking in general.

Most visitors bypass Hope and never realize the scenery that they are missing! Hope is a very pretty area.

Be apprised, the Alaska Department of Fish and Game has been using that region to transplant grizzlies that couldn't stay out of trouble in the Chugach. Up until a few years ago, you'd only see black bears in the area, but lately there has been more and more grizzly sightings. Nothing to be concerned about... just be aware.

Old Apr 26th, 2002, 09:26 AM
Clousie

Is Gina still around?

Old May 3rd, 2002, 01:17 PM
Gina

Hi Clousie:
Just got back last night from our trip to Greece. I promise to answer some of your questions in a couple days. I need this much time to do my laundry and other things. Hope you are getting excited about your first trip to Alaska as much as we are looking forward to our third trip. We will be arriving in Alaska July 24th and can hardly wait.

Old May 4th, 2002, 11:59 AM
Kay

There is a good sized supermarket near downtown Valdez.

Old May 5th, 2002, 09:52 AM
dean

What do you mean a supermarket is near downtown Valdez? There is no up- or down-town. Valdez is a small town with a pretty good supermarket but no great places to eat. There are plenty of hiking opportunities. Just stop in the Vistors Center and they have brochures on many hiking trails. Do not forget to visit an excellent museum in Valdez.

Old May 6th, 2002, 10:37 AM
Gina

Here are two books that I used when planning our first trip a few years ago:

55 Ways to the wilderness in Southcentral Alaska by Nienhueser and Simmerman

The Hiker's guide to Alaska by Evan and Margaret Swensen

When you get to the Thompsson Pass Chalet talk to Matt about hiking trails. He also takes people on hikes if you rather go with a guide. Ask him where the trail for Solomon Gulch trail starts as he was involved in moving the begining of this trail to a different locations. We hiked there in 1994 and it was a chalenge when using ropes to pull ourselves. But it was such a beautiful hike and easy once we got to the top.

We loved hiking in Thompson Pass and smell an amazing flowers of the tundra. One of the books I mentioned above has this description:
Trail begins: Anywhere hiker wants to start hiking in Thompson Pass
Trail ends: When a hiker gets tired and returns to the highway.

Doesn't this sound great? Every time we hiked there we were only hikers. Each time we thought we will get to the glacier which seems so close but we never got closer. But in the pictures it looks like it was next to us.
Thanks for asking, Clousie

Old May 7th, 2002, 03:19 AM
villas

Hiking in Valdez is not very exciting if it rains and it rains often
We steyd in the chalet you will be staying in. If you want luxury better look for another place. It had limited dishes, couple forks, no refrigarator or microwave, no place to unpack our clothes. Steps to the bedroom very narrow and steep. I hope you are young and thin. For two days couldn't figure out how the shower works. We loved setting and a host. It was a nice place for us hikers but do not expect too much or you will regreat. Have a nice time in Alaska

Old May 8th, 2002, 09:28 AM
Clousie

Does anyone else agree or disagree with Villas comments about Thompson Pass Chalet? For two of us, we don't need a whole lot of space and the steps shouldn't be a problem. However, cleanliness, enough cooking/serving utensils and refrig and stove are important.

I think Gina's description of the hiking sounds great and look forward to being in a secluded area rather than in a town.

Old May 9th, 2002, 02:40 AM
villas

In a way Gina is right. Thompson Pass Chalet is a nice, secluded place for hikers but my husband prefered to be in more luxurious place with swimming pool. It was raining when we were there so we did not take any walks we just went to Valdez and spend our two days in the bar which was interesting. We are not hikers so maybe we just made a wrong choice and should stay in some hotel in Valdez
There is no refrig in the Chalet but you should ask for a cooler and ice. Place was very clean. We did not cook there so I do not know about cooking utensils. I remember seeing some forks and knives

Old May 12th, 2002, 10:18 AM
Gina

Are you still out there Clousie?

This is what we wrote in our journal regarding the Thompson Pass Chalet.
On the way down toward Valdez we turned off at mile 19 to a gravel road toward our B & B, Thompson Pass Mountain Chalet. Matt, the owner, greeted us and showed us into the Chalet. Several years ago he and a friend had built it 3 ½ stories high and about 30x30 ft. of log beam construction. The logs had been sawed to 10x10 in. and the joints sealed with a yellow compound made specifically for log cabins. The windows are double pained with sliding panel and screen. The staircase to the loft is circular and very narrow made of a log and boards with branches as hand rails. From our bed we could see the mountains with an even more grand view from the balcony that was outside and up a few wooden steps. There we looked closely at the fire escape which is a rope with knots in it. The grounds are covered with wild flowers and there is a small organic garden. The undergrowth around the grounds is very thick with fireweed, aspen and spruce trees. Every morning we found on our steps a basket full of fruit, muffins, yogurt, and juices.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 02:54 AM
Jean

Can one of you give me website for th echalet in Thompson Pass. It sounds great.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 07:25 AM
Clousie

Thanks for your journal entry, Gina. It does sound like a wonderful location. I was wondering about the kitchen though. Is it well stocked with necessary utensils, dishes, etc. Someone said no refrigerator. What about a stove? We love to cook in and then just relax over good food and drink.

Jean, I'll send you the site when I get home.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 10:54 AM
Clousie

Jean, this is the site for Thompson Pass Chalet.

http://www.alaskagold.com/tpass/scenic.htm

Old May 23rd, 2002, 03:46 AM
Jean

Thank you very much Clousie. I checked it out, sent e-mail and this morning, belive it or not, there was a reply when I opened my e-mail. We will be there for 3 nights in September. Thanks