Gettysburg Battlefield

Search

Gettysburg Battlefield

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2006, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gettysburg Battlefield

I am a civil war enthusiasts who has been to several civil war sites along the eastern seaboard of our great country. I have yet to travel to Gettysburg, but I am planning on doing so in the next upcoming months. I was hoping to get feedback on Gettysburg and if its the type of place where you are required to take tours and shuffle along like caged cows or can you mosey around at your pleasure? Is this a place where I can sit and contemplate life or will it be too crowded to do so? Thanks for your help, I am planning on making my decision in about 2 weeks, looking into a November vacation time.

Thanks for you help

-Charles
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 06:16 AM
J62

You can mosey about at your pleasure.

I've hung out under old oak trees enjoying the setting while the kids explore the weaponry, read signs, gun battle each other from behind rock walls, etc.

Old Oct 25th, 2006, 06:21 AM

Gettysburg is one of the finest historical places that we (as a family) have visited. I encourage you to get a self guided tape in town and use it to give yourself the tour at your own pace. Plenty of time and opportunity to gaze and contemplate. I would imagine that November there should be lots of solitude.

Prior to doing the self guided tour we did sit in at the talk, diarama type of thing that gave us a great overview of the area and battles, strategy, etc. I recommend it.
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 06:26 AM
cd

You can definely mosey. I could also recommend staying at the Farnsworths Inn Check it out: http://www.farnsworthhouseinn.com/
It is part of history and has wonderful food!
I would also recommend that you include a day to travel to Harper's Ferry. It is only about an hour and a half drive.
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 07:19 AM

I grew up about 30 miles from Gettysburg and we would go there quite often. My father was a HUGE civil war enthusiast...so I became a Gettysburg nut also. I agree with what the others have said about the tape or CD, and it is extremely well done IMO. This was THE pivotol battle the civil war....it is enormous in history, and the area is just plain beautiful. Visit the Eisenhower farm if you can. I always feel quite meloncholy when I go there. Enjoy your visit!
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 07:22 AM

I also recommend the battle map in the visitor's center for an overview of the ebb and flow of those three bloody days.

If you can make the time, in addition to a side trip to Harper's Ferry that was already recommended, I'd also suggest a side trip to the Antietam battlefield, also just a short drive away. It is much more compact than Gettysburg and easily seen in a half day visit.
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 07:28 AM

It's THE best place to mosey. You have great suggestions above. Let me add to not miss the very basic museum in the drab basement of the Visitor's Center (where they sell Eisenhower tour tix) and be aware that they often have a ceremony in Nonvember on the anniversary of the Gettysburg Address.A few years ago, Lynn Chaney gave the speech and it was very interesting.
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 08:55 AM

We live close to Gettysburg and enjoy eating at the Dobbin House (www.dobbinhouse.com). I would recommend this for a dinner one of your nights. The building was built in 1776 and played a role in the Civil War. The food is very good and the atmosphere is fun. Enjoy your visit.
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 11:42 AM
cd

I'm sure you would not do this, but it was'nt till we were driving away to go home that we drove past the Gettysburg Cemetery and realized we had not even visited there and that that was where Lincoln gave the Address.
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Kal

Gettysburg is awesome. Freelance all the way.

We were on top of Little Roundtop watching a lightning storm come in from the west...and when we got caught in a downpour we hid in, I think, the NY Monument that is right there.

Beautiful and quite solemn when you think of what went on there during that battle. As goosebumpler as the Coliseum in Rome IMHO.

We've been there 2-3 times and it never gets boring. Ditto Harper's Ferry and Antietam
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 05:34 AM

Don't know what your travel plans are but there is also a relatively new Civil War Museum in Harrisburg, PA. I haven't been there yet but it looks worthwhile.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 03:40 PM

As others have said, Gettysburg is definitely a place where you can stop and think. Give yourself enough time though. You can cover most other battlefields in half a day or less, even Antietam, but you should allow yourself at least two days in Gettysburg. I stayed there 5 days on my third visit, and it still wasn't too much.

For a Civil War enthusiast, I would allow at least 3 days. You will have time to get off the beaten track a little - maybe visit East Cavalry battlefield, the first shot marker, Evergreen Cemetery, and Cashtown Inn (good place to eat too). You may also want to wander down to Willoughby Run on the 1st Day's battlefield. The museum at Harrisburg is indeed very nice. So is the huge collection at the battlefield visitor center.

You seem like the kind of person who really wants to take in the atmosphere. Go out on the battlefield just after sunrise. You can have it virtually all to yourself. It is without a doubt the best time to see Little Round Top and the Angle, which can get relatively crowded. Walk the length of the Angle and look at each monument. Even when crowds are large though, I have never found them very intrusive outside of the visitor center. Also, take a drive out after dark. Whether you believe in spirits or not, it is haunting at night. Step out on Little Round Top after dark all alone, and see what I mean. Spend 30 minutes or so one day to walk the route taken by the Confederates on July 3 during Pickett's Charge.

In Gettysburg, there are lots of places to visit off the battlefield as well. I have been to most of them. Here are some I found particularly worthwhile. There is a huge setup of miniature soldiers just south of town at a campground. You can see the show and get a good idea of the lay of the land in 1863. The Jennie Wade House is a good short tour and gives you a bit of the town's experience. Graystone's American History Bookstore has a fantastic collection of books and movies. The Horse Soldier shop has an amazing display of Civil War artifacts for sale.

Have fun!!
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 03:43 PM

I just realized there were a few other spots to mention. Someone else said they almost overlooked the cemetery. There are other places relatively few visit and also easy to overlook. Culp's Hill, for example, where there was a lot of very important fighting. Also, East Cemetery Hill, between Culp's Hill and the Cemetery.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 03:50 PM

Gettysburg is wonderful and when we first got there we bought one of those cassette tapes where you drive in your car and they talk about the battles. I loved that. Then we went back to the sites we wanted to see and walk through in greater detail.

I would encourage a trip to Antietam. For me, the area that gave me the greatest impact was at Antietam at the site of "Bloody Lane". To me, the air was almost palpable with the ghosts of the dead. So moving.

Old Nov 6th, 2006, 04:02 PM

A few years ago another history teacher and I were visiting Gettysburg for the first time. As we were walking over to the visitor's center, my friend said that we should hire one of the guides that rides in your car with you. We had just passed an older gentleman in a guide's uniform who looked rather "fuddy-duddish". I commented--yeah--we could wind up with someone like HIM. Well, HIM it was and it was the most interesting two and a half hours I've ever spent. He was a retired college math professor, and a genuine history buff. More importantly, he was an incredible story-teller. Whenever we stopped and got out of the car, a crowd would gather around us to listen to his tales. If you can--find "one-eyed Jack"--don't remember his real name--but if he's any measure of the caliber of guides--do it! On a side note--when we returned to our motel, we decided to go for a swim before dinner--imagine our surprise when we reached the pool area and found in inundated with 8th graders!! Their chaperones assured us they were on their way to a ghost walk--so we waited them out in the bar--with their bus drivers!! ;-)