Getting to Manchester, NH airport from Boston

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2007, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dsughter needs to fly from bostn to San Diego on a friday (late afternoon) and return on Sunday. The flights out of Manchester are not only cheaper , but seem to have better schedules.

Any know the locgistics of getting to the airport from BU airport? T? Cab?

Thanks!
Old May 18th, 2007, 08:43 AM

I found this great van service ( ITS FREE) operating to and from Manchester airport to the Anderson Regional Transportation center (MBTA) in Woburn wher you can catch a train to North Station and also at Sullivan Square T stop (on the Orange Line) in Somerville. Which is Just a short hop
from downtown Boston and the green Line to BU.
Check out the schedule at http://www.flymanchester.com/transpo...le_service.php
There is no other direct service to MHT except a cab which would cost around $100 or via Concord trailways Bus to Manchester city, and then a cab to airport. I know I've done it all.
Old May 18th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Joe!
Old May 18th, 2007, 12:20 PM

How much cheaper are the flights? It's not a very convenient trip so I would fly out of Boston unless the Manchester flights are considerably cheaper.
Old May 18th, 2007, 01:29 PM

Some things to consider. First, Friday afternoon/evening traffic Boston north on Rte 93 to NH is nasty. Depending on weather and season, it can take between 20 minutes to 2 hours to get from Woburn to Manchester - hopefully it will be less, but since she is catching a flight she must plan for the worst. There are times that traffic is bumper-to-bumper in that area for miles - and this is not just an accident-related problem but one of volume.

On summer weekends and to a lesser extent winter ski weekends the pattern is reversed, although since timing is more spread out, it is not usually as bad.

That is a really long trip to make for essentially one day in San Diego - if I remember from a post in the distant past this is for some family event. While I know you cited both schedule and cost, I would factor in above to your considerations.
Old May 18th, 2007, 01:30 PM

Pattern reversal above refers to southbound trip on Sundays - sorry if I was confusing.
Old May 18th, 2007, 08:32 PM
Original Poster

the flights into and out of Manchester were really good times- got her into San Diego not too late, then back into Boston before midnight,and was about $50 cheaper. The long ride in from Manchester on Sunday night would have been worse though, so I kept searching and found a flight out of Logan that works better.

I've got a niece getting married in San Diego and both daughters are bridesmaids. Flying 3 of us in from Honolulu and the one from Boston.
Ouch $$- should be a fun reunion of the family however!
Old May 19th, 2007, 03:01 AM

While I understand the timing thing, I would not do it to save $50.

I do not know what dates you are talking about, or actual cost - but on AA you can do this trip for $500. (I picked random July weekend dates). Fly non-stop BOS-SAN leaving at about 4 PM. Return involves a stop (since only non-stop is at 8 AM and I thought that would be too early) leaving SAN early afternoon and arriving BOS at midnight.

With some more searching, might be able to get slightly better price or schedule more tailored to her needs. I doubt there is a non-stop MHT-SAN and for something as important as a wedding I would not want to worry about connections.

At midnight, ride in from Manchester would not have likely encountered traffic.

Glad you found a Boston departure - but at least you now have info about MHT transportation for future trips.
Old May 26th, 2008, 07:43 AM

Did you try Jet Blue? I just did alot of searching for the best flight from Logan to SanDiego; not very convenient to get there from here!

I booked it for $369 direct on Jet Blue. Not a weekend but a Wed. to Friday and trip is 2wks away.