Reload this Page >

Fall Foliage with Boston Day Trip - Itinerary Questions

Notices

Old Jun 21st, 2019, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

One of my wife's bucket list items has been to do a fall foliage trip through New Hampshire / Vermont. We will land in Manchester NH around 1pm on 9/28. We fly out of Manchester on 10/2 at 6pm. As of right now we don't have any plans at all, so we're totally flexible. We're planning on renting a car and driving around NH/VT.

Now, we recently extended the trip an additional day in hopes of figuring out a day trip to Boston. It doesn't have to be a "true" day trip. I was thinking that our best bet might be to head straight to Boston when we land on 9/28 and explore the city, stay in Boston that night, explore the city a little more on 9/29, and then head north to drive through NH/VT. We have points with Hyatt, so we would be staying at one of the properties that are near Boston Common. Transportation is my main concern at this point. I don't want to drive and park in Boston, so I was looking into public transport from MHT to Boston and then back out of the city the next day. Is anyone familiar and have advice on how to do this? Also, is all of this even feasible or should we figure out a time to come back and visit Boston on a later trip?
Old Jun 22nd, 2019, 02:15 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
According to website, Greyhound services MHT to Boston.
Saturday traffic on that weekend is going to be heavy but Sunday northbound shouldn't be too bad.
An option to consider would be rent a car at MHT, drive north to Concord to overnight. You can leave car for free at Concord bus terminal so take Concord Coach to Boston for the day. I use this bus when I fly out of Logan. There is also a bus terminal in Londonderry, south of MHT which would be an option. Check bus schedule. Sometimes it is direct from Concord to Logan other times it stops in Londonderry. Just go to Logan and take Silver line bus to South Station and access to rest of Boston's subway system. South Station is within short distance of Boston's Chinatown. You can walk the Rose Kennedy Greenway to Fanueil Hall Quincy Market. Boston's North End is close by. Return to Logan to get bus back to Concord (or Londonderry).
If you stay in Boston 9/28, you'll have luggage to deal with. Hotels usually will store after you check out. It might be a lot easier to overnight in NH, lock luggage in car trunk and take bus to Boston for the day.

There's a lot to see in New England. If you got Concord to VT via I89 you will be driving very close to Gould Hill Orchard in Hopkinton NH which grows a large variety of apples and makes their own hard cider. Nice view to the north from their parking lot. Check their website for tasting schedule.
Old Jun 22nd, 2019, 03:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You could drive from the airport to Alewife Station in Cambridge which is at the end of one of T lines (Boston's metro). You can park there overnight. It's quite a bit outside of Boston itself so doesn't have the traffic issues but still is on a major T line that you could take to the center. It's less than an hour from Manchester airport.