Reload this Page >

Getting around Orlando without a car?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 02:32 PM
Christi

Hi: I'm trying to go to Orlando on a budget with my sister and two nephews in mid October. We were able to get a great rate at Clarion Hotel - Universal at
7299 Universal Boulevard. While we'll be able to take their shuttle bus to Universal, I'm trying to find out what my options are to getting to Disneyworld. The hotel is unfortunately not very friendly or helpful. Can I get to Disneyworld without a car? What are my transportation options and cost?

Any suggestions for reasonably priced restaurants in the area of our hotel would also be great!

Thanks so much for the help!

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 02:57 PM
Lisa

From my recollection, about the only way to get from Universal to Disney would be via taxi, or possibly a shuttle company like Meers. Universal is not real close to Disney, about 30 min drive. As far as restaurants, since I have never actually accommodated near this area I can't say. My only other suggestion would be to look at a hotel near Disney. Most hotels there offer comp shuttle service to Disney Parks. Depending on how many days you are there, and if you think you might do Disney more than Universal it might make more sense. I stayed at a Best Western Suites, right next to the Old Town entertainment complex for about $55 per night (2000) Rooms have a full kitchen, so I did some cooking there to save on meal expenses. Unfortunately this area is simply not easy to do on a budget, just the park entrances will burn a hole in your pocket.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 03:05 PM
Christi

I all ready booked my hotel on hotwire and bought a 5 day pass for Universal, so we're definitely staying in that area. I just want to go to Disneyworld for a few days of my visit. But I'm not sure how much the taxi will run us, especially if we have 5 people.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 04:08 PM
Gail

There are some good restaurants at the Universal parks and CityWalk. Your nephews might enjoy the Nascar Cafe or NBA City--they are both in City Walk which is the entertainment/shopping area between Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure.
For lots of great info, go to www.disboards.com and scroll down to the Universal message boards.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 06:39 PM
Postal

I live in Orlando but never heard of Universal Blvd so I assume they have renamed Major Blvd across from Universal. There are a lot of restaurants in that area, even within walking distance. They include Cracker Barrel, Orlando Ale House, Ponderosa, TGI Fridays, Kobe Steak House. There is bus service in that area but I'm not sure if you can catch a bus to Disney. If there's no traffic, Disney World is about 15 minutes south of Universal. The key words are definitely "if there's no traffic."

Orlando is a driving town, so even though you'll be able to get a lot of places on the bus, they will entail a lot of transfers along the way. Fare is $1.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 02:49 PM
Christi

Thanks for the help. Looks like we probably will rent a car. Just can't seem to find many reasonable rates.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 03:45 PM
Rich

Christi, I think you probably will be doomed to rent a car, because Orlando isn't very easy to visit without a car unless you are limiting yourself to either Universal OR Disney. Since they're competitors, there's not any cooperation there (like "Hey, wouldn't it make our visitors' lives easier if there were bus service back and forth?").

Keep an eye out for car rental specials. Now is a little early to be getting a good deal -- specials are usually closer to the time of rental, not this far in advance.

What I would do is go ahead and book the lowest rate I can find now but make SURE you can cancel it with no penalty. That way you'll have something in reserve so you're guaranteed that you won't have to pay any more. Then keep your eyes peeled for lower rates, and if you find one, jump on it and cancel the old one. Sometimes you can do this process two or three times and keep getting lower rates each time. Same with hotels MOST of the time, but again the caveat is to make sure you're making reservations that can be cancelled. (Unfortunately you can't really do airfare this way because all the decent fares are always non-refundable).

Good luck!

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 06:16 AM
r-travels

You can try Lynx, the Orlando area public transit service. Bus #50 ( http://www.golynx.com/fares/viewmap.asp?route=50 ) travels on International Drive (between Rt 528 and Sea Harbor Drive) and stops at the WDW ticket & transportation center. $1 fare. Also in the International Drive & Universal Blvd area there is a "trolley" service w/ unlimited travel $3/3day, $4/4day, etc., called the I-Drive Trolley. Bus #42 also goes up and down International Drive, but if you take it & change buses, you must pay 10 cents for a transfer pass and request it when boarding the first bus.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 10:30 AM
Lisa

Christy,

Only thing I can suggest otherwise, check out mearstransportation.com. I have always had good luck w/ them and prices seem reasonable.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 11:24 AM
OrlandoLocal

There is a hotel within walking distance of yours called the Sheraton Universal its tall and round you cant miss it, they sometimes have a sign outside that says free disney shuttle service as well as other destinations you may want to call them and see if they offer this to people not staying at there hotel. Maybe you can rent a car for only the days you wont be at Universal that will cut on costs too. There is also a free trolly that goes up and down International Drive which is were you will be that will meove you a little more freely as this road has alot of entertainment but is about 5-6 miles long. Have a great trip! Were glad your coming.