Search

Getting around in Chicago afterhours

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2007, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting around in Chicago afterhours

Hi everyone,
I'm planning to fly into O'Hare around midnight on Thursday night, and will need to take the "El" from the airport to the hostel (off LaSalle stop on the Blue Line). Is it recommended that late? I'll have a lot of luggage and don't want to be a target. Has anyone had any problems with the "El" late at night? If so, maybe I'll bite the bullet and take a cab...
Old Aug 12th, 2007, 08:02 AM

Brushfire, hmm, I've taken the Blue Line El at night, but not that late...I've never heard of anything happening on the train from O'Hare. You'll probably ride the train amongst flight attendants and airport employees going home, as well as other passengers.
Old Aug 12th, 2007, 08:31 AM

For several years (several years ago!), my husband took the Blue Line in the other direction (from downtown to Cicero) late at night. If I recall correctly, he got off work around 1:00 AM. He always said he actually felt safer then than he did when he went in early the afternoon. At that time of night, the train was always full of cleaning crews from the downtown offices. Whereas, when he went in during the day, it was pretty deserted. I suspect, as TwoFatFeet said, you'll find a similar situation with flight crews, etc. that time of night.
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 06:55 AM

I've totally taken the Blue Line by myself later than that... and I think you'll be fine, especially ON the train.

I do know that they have been working on the tracks, and I don't know the status of the repairs, so it may be painfully slow through portions. Perhaps the CTA Web site (www.transitchicago.com) will have updates on the repairs.

Just realize that the Loop itself will be deader than dead that time of night.

You might try a shared cab ride (which is about $15, I think) or a shuttle van. Traffic that time of night should be negligible.

HTH,
Racy
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 06:59 AM

If you are a woman travelling alone, I would opt for the cab at midnight. I live in the city, and that's my general rule of thumb, no matter where in the city I am travelling. If you're a guy, different story. You will probably be just fine. As mentioned above, the loop will be totally dead at midnight, so just be aware of your surroundings.
Old Aug 13th, 2007, 07:18 AM

If you do take the "El," you'll be walking along Congress Parkway, which is a big, busy road, even late at night.