Georgia weather in late May and early June

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2005, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may be taking a business trip to Georgia in late May or early June and I am wondering what type of weather to expect. I checked Yahoo weather, and the average high is around 90F. What is the humidity like? Are things hot and sticky yet? How much to things cool down in the evennings?

Also, does anybody have any wardrobe advice? My industry is business casual.
Old May 9th, 2005, 12:17 PM

It was 88 in Atlanta yesterday. Last week, we barely made it into the 70s. Humidity has been, for the most part, low. I would think that in early June it will be in the high 80s during the day with moderate (but not overbearing) humidity. Nights should be in low 60s. July and August (and into September) are the months when the weather brings grown men to their knees.

Many Atlanta businesses have gone business casual, though some are reverting back to the suit and tie look.
Old May 9th, 2005, 01:26 PM
GoTravel

Humidity and heat will be very high in Atlanta from around Mid May through September. The southeast is experiencing record lows right now.

Old May 9th, 2005, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Jack.

My client is in Augusta, so I imagine things will probably be a bit more casual there than in Atlanta. Is that a fair assumption?

For most of our clients around the country, the general "uniform" for men is dockers and polo shirts or cotton button downs, no ties.

For women it isn't as cut and dried - of course.
Old May 9th, 2005, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks GoTravel. We were posting at about the same time so I didn't see your response.

In California we are having low temperatures too - we haven't had this much rain in May for a long time.

I think I will prepare to be hot and sticky - light fabrics, open shoes, etc.
Old May 9th, 2005, 03:38 PM
iceeu2

J, I think we have already had dogwood and blackberry winters, so by the time you get here we should be all out of winter and into the hot, sticky, humid, buggy summer.

Open shoes? I'm not sure that is what I would call business casual..but the polo shirt and dockers are fine.

Old May 9th, 2005, 06:04 PM

Augusta is probably even muggier (more humid) than Atlanta right now, where I'm at. Thing don't tend to cool down much until the sun starts to go down.
We've had a few very warm days but the spring has been cooler than average on the whole. As Jack said, it's July and August than can make you feel like you're living under a wet blanket when you go outside.

You would probably be able to best gauge the wardrobe situation as you know your industry best. But down here I haven't seen any open shoes in the business casual arena unless it was an after-hours social event.
Old May 9th, 2005, 06:53 PM

It can be hot, but usually not the really hot and muggy days...for us anyway. For someone coming from California though, it will be a lot muggier (is that a word?) than you are used to.

I doublechecked on weather.com and the average temps are in the 80's until June 15. The humidity builds during the summer and on July 4th the humidity can match the temps. Yes, it can be 95 degrees and 95% humidity.

Business casual is tricky and atlswan is right - it can be industry specific. But, depending on the business/ clients, the smaller cities outside Atlanta (Augusta, Columbus, etc.) can be dressier than Atlanta.

Open toed shoes? It really depends (see above). Years ago it was a no-no (but then again so were pants for ladies). Now, many of us dress for coolness - natural fabric dresses with slides and no hose (thank goodness!).
Old May 9th, 2005, 07:17 PM

J, am I right in (now) guessing you are a female? I stupidly assumed you were a male after you said what the guys' attire was. Starrsville's post jolted me into thinking I'm probably wrong! I'm such a knucklehead sometimes

So now I have a new answer for you. If you are indeed a female and the industry is business casual attire, you'll probably be fine with open-toed shoes. Unfortunately, I work for a rather archaic company that requires women to wear hosiery if they wear open-toed shoes. I think it is insane but they pay my salary so I can't whine about it (at least within earshot of HR).
Old May 9th, 2005, 07:46 PM

J, if you ARE male, I would not, in any circumstances, consider wearing open toed shoes for any business function, casual business or not. The only exception I could think of would be a corporate luau type event on the beach...and that's not going to happen in Augusta.

Male or female, I would recommend a pedicure if you plan to wear open toed shoes around clients.

If you are meeting with clients, I would be pack to prepare to wear both business casual or more dressy attire. Dress conservatively on day 1 and adjust accordingly on subsequent days.

The old adage is true - you only have one change to make a first impression. I would opt for overdressing vs. underdressing, especially on the first day. No matter the heat outside, you will be in an air conditioned environment, yes?

Old May 9th, 2005, 10:50 PM

Hi everyone, J_Correa is a female. Just FYI. She lives in CA.

And J_Correa, wasn't the weather today here in N CA something else? We had so much hail in the lower Sacramento Valley the garden looked like it had been snowed on. Very strange.
Old May 10th, 2005, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Yes indeed - I am female and I live in California. I mentioned the standard men's "uniform" as a point of reference. If I were a man, then I wouldn't have this type of question because I could just wear the uniform As a woman, dockers and polo shirts don't really work.

I get a pedicure every 2 weeks, winter and summer, so no worries about that

The weather here has been really weird the past couple weeks. Yesterday was just plain odd.
Old May 10th, 2005, 11:48 AM

Chiming in on footwear - I'm in SC, I've been wearing open toe since late March (and will until late October). Stockings? Not since the early 90's. And I'm an accountant.

Lots of pantsuits, A-line skirts, slides, loud-colored purses. Like everywhere else, i imagine.

I did see a late twenties guy hop on the elevator this morning and head up to the private club on the top floor of our building. He was wearing kahkis, a white dress shirt, open collar, navy blazer...and leather flip flops. I imagine he thought it was a fashion statement, but he looked like a FOOL.
Old May 10th, 2005, 12:05 PM
iceeu2

Sorry, I thought J Correa was a male...dockers and polo shirts suggest male attire to me.

So, female J Correa, go with the open toed shoes and no stockings...sorry...

Old May 10th, 2005, 12:11 PM

J Correa, I'm giggling as I read the thread. Sorry for thinking you were a guy! You might pack a pair of stockings in your suitcase just in case but I think you'll be fine in open-toed shoes. I'll be envying you!

As for flip flop guy, NO WAY!
Old May 10th, 2005, 01:01 PM

I have to say that I haven't seen anyone wear stockings, winter or summer, in years! Tights, maybe in winter, but stockings are definitely out. At least in the south. What's going on in the rest of the country?
Old May 10th, 2005, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

No problem - I reread my post and I can see where it was ambigious.

Stockings are pretty uncommon around here too. It's a double-edged sword really because stockings aren't the most comfortable things, but at least they even out the skin tone of people's legs and create a neater appearance. I absolutely cannot imagine wearing a pair in humid weather!

Old May 10th, 2005, 02:12 PM

I ditto the pantyhose sentiments and haven't worn them in years either. But, if I have any doubts I wear pants with knee highs and closed toed shoes. If I'm pretty sure of the business environment, I wear low Cole-Hahn flats, sans knee highs. And, if I'm just a participant and/or know what the business environment is, I will wear a skirt with open toed shoes...and only then.

The mid-sized cities can be more conservative than Atlanta. I do find (female) clients wearing suits, hose and pumps in mid-summer. I haven't worn a suit in years either, unless I was interviewing...and I interviewed last July and sweltered. But, I have been told that runner-up candidate did not get the job because she was dressed too casually.

If you are going to be doing any presentations, coming in as an "expert", or meeting with key clients, I would dress more conservatively at least on Day 1. If you are just a participant in a business meeting or conference, then go with what you consider business casual.

I had a meeting in rental cabins in the North Georgia mountains and I was shocked at good friends/co-workers that dressed to the nines for the most casual business meeting possible. They looked like they were ready to go to the club.

Just my opinion and worth what you pay for it...
Old May 10th, 2005, 05:31 PM

check out weather.com for a preview of the expected weather for the rest of May in Augusta. It's going to be a little sweaty. While you will be in A/C rooms, you still have to go from a car, walk down the sidewalk, etc. So, don't wear dark tops that might show moisture.
Old May 13th, 2005, 08:19 PM

J Correa

Thought as an Augusta native now living in Atlanta I'd throw my two cents in, but as a male the only open toed shoes I have are old tennis shoes. Temperatures will almost certainly be in the 90's in Augusta by your visit with morning lows around 70 and high humidity. So certainly plan on light weight clothing. Augusta is far more formal than Atlanta in business dress and in general. Men at the office often still wear suits or sportscoats with ties even in the summer (cotton poplins and seersuckers) with button down shirts and buck shoes or loafers, and dress up similarly for big social occasions. Less formal occasions men wear polo or madras shirts (often still with a sportscoat) with cotton slacks, or if outdoors Bermuda length shorts (without the sportscoat!). The LL Bean or Lands End catalogues, or your local golf pro shop, are good illustrations of typical Augusta attire. Of course particular industries vary but expect more formal and conservative attire all around than you would see in California or even Atlanta for that matter.

The pace of life is slower too, natives you may do business with will want to take time to learn about you and your family and not just "close the deal" and be done.

Enjoy your visit and I hope it will be productive.

Dano