Georgia Coast 1st week June

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are attending a wedding in Athens on May 31. We've got the next 5 days to kick around the Georgia coast, we've rented a convertible, and now need to plan where to go! We're both 30-year-old artists, very interested in culture and nature, on a budget, and have never been to that part of the country. Any advice and recommendations are welcome. Thanks!
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 03:02 PM

Now, when you say "coast" are you talking about just the beaches and the ocean or are you thinking about the towns and cities that are considered in the coastal area. If you are interested in the historic background of the Ga. coastal area, start at Savannah, see it's historic district, check out the beach at Tybee, work your way down US 17 seeing places like Midway and the early colonial forts until you get to Brunswick and the islands and beaches in that area.
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! I guess when I say 'coast' I mean a mix of town and beach. So what you suggest sounds good.
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 06:14 PM

If you love nature, do not even THINK of leaving the state before you spend a day on Cumberland Island! You can only get there by ferry, and there are no vehicles on the 17-mile long island other than those run by the ritzy Greyfield Inn, so when you get off the ferry, you walk.

There is a crumbling Carnegie mansion and plenty of wild horses as you hike toward the beach. You'll see (and climb) 20 foot high sand dunes to reach 17 miles of deserted beach, where we saw hundreds of dolphins frolicking just past the surf line. We walked up the beach to the next crossover (maybe one mile), and on our trip passed three other people.

Walking from the beach to the forest was like entering another world. Deer and wild turkeys crossed our path several times, as well as more wild horses.

We left St. Mary's, GA on the ferry at 9 AM and returned at 4 PM, and it was one of the best days I've ever had. Look it up! You can't go wrong!
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 04:39 PM

i agree, cumberland island is amazing. there is truly no place like it.