Block Island Beaches

Search

Block Island Beaches

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2004, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Block Island Beaches

I am really thinking about going to Block Island the 4th week in June. Does anyone know any hotels (nothing fancy) under $120. Also the beaches, in the pictures in shows large cliffs, but are there any beaches without the climb down. Anything would be a great help.
Old May 28th, 2004, 06:13 AM

Yes! the Town Beach or Crescent beach is gorgeous and just under a mile walk or bike ride from the ferry (Old Harbor). The ferry goes right by the beaches along that side of the island, easy to spot. Just up a ways from the Town Beach are Scotch Beach and Mansion Beach, bit more of a ride (too far to walk) but more secluded, less people. These beaches face East and often have a nice surf. 4th week in June might still be a bit chilly (water temp. maybe in the mid-60's) but the beaches have soft sand and the water is unbelieveably clear. One of BI's nicknames is the "Bermuda of the North" for a good reason.

For Lodging under $120 you might call the Chamber of Commerce to inquire about private homes that also serve as occasional B&Bs. This time is high-season so rates run more around $200 and up. My husband and I have found the C of C incredibly helfpul. They have loads of inside scoop...but it takes a certain skill to get it from them. They are service oriented but are also super-busy. If possible, I would highly recommend avoiding anything too in-town as the noise can be bad.

Other BI notes: rent bikes, avoid mo-peds, if you're physically able. Check out Mohegan Bluffs (that's the cliff-y beach). Bethany's Airport Diner is best for local color, solidly good food and overall BI flavor. Beachead is good for fish and chips, beer and everthing salty.

My husband and I were married on BI 10 years ago and have been going to the island for nearly 14. If you like biking, hiking, beaching, and a somewhat untouched piece of seaside New England, you can't beat it.
Old May 28th, 2004, 08:59 AM

Where is this place? Sounds wonderful--
I am from west Coast but will be in New England in OCT..Do some coastal aeas sort of "close down" after Sept??

Old May 28th, 2004, 09:11 AM
sam

Block Island is Rhode Island. I will also recommend Beach Head for food and the view is great, directly across from the beach, also Bethany's (diner at the airport, very neat). It's season will run like the majority of beach resort areas in New England, from Memorial Day through Labor Day. If you go off-season, most stores are closed and the ferries run an abbreviated schedule. Have a great time, you'll love it!
Old May 28th, 2004, 09:15 AM

Block Island is off the coast of Rhode Island and is everything Kehsutton makes it out to be, BUT if this is your first time visitng southern New England (or New England in general) there are probably better places to visit to really get a flavor of the region. Depending when in October and where in New England, it might be prime time for viewing the fall leaf colors ("leaf peepers") but many coastal areas will be on reduced hours, especially during the week. Weekends, especially if the weather is nice, will still see a decent amount of tourist activity in the coastal towns.
Old May 28th, 2004, 10:28 AM
sam

http://www.blockisland.com

I stayed at the Weather Bureau Inn a few years ago. It's a B&B, if you don't mind not having a television, bicycles to use and a short walk to the beach, Beach Head and the ferry landing in "downtown".
Old May 31st, 2004, 03:14 AM

Traveler24: Block Island is off the coast of Rhode Island, about 7 miles south. Ferry or airplane are the only modes of transportation. Ferries run from Pt. Judith, RI or New London CT or Newport or even Providence in the dead of summer. Ferry service is the most reliable and frequent from Pt. Judith, takes just over an hour (but there's also a high speed ferry from PJ that takes 30 minutes and costs more). It is a small island that can be biked in a day...I think it's 5 by 7 miles? It's remote, it's covered with saltwater farms, stone fences, hills...and is a fave spot for birders. But it's also sophisticated enough to have some decent restaurants, shops and galleries. It's also hummin' between June through Labor Day. Many businesses stay open to Columbus Day, if only on the weekends.

We've chosen this place over Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard and the Cape because of it's beauty, still remote feel AND because you can get one heckuva workout biking all over the place.