Gatlinburg and the National Park

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2008, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be traveling to the Great Smokey Mountains National Park for the first time at the end of August. My husband and I are easy going and easily entertained and would just spend the entire week exploring the national park. But, we have two daughters (age 9 & 13). They will enjoy the national park, but would prefer a pool or the mall, so we'll be staying in Gatlinburg. Any suggestion on how I make sure we all enjoy this vacation.
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 06:35 AM

I just spent a week there at the end of June. Had a wonderful time.
Don't miss Cades Cove Loop, Roaring Forks Auto Trail and Clingmans Dome. After that, you can always do Dollywood in Pigeon Forge. An amusement park, but fun.

There are all sorts of Ripleys amusements as well.
My kids have always enjoyed climbing on rocks and getting wet in the river that goes through the park.

There are also Caverns nearby in Townsend, as well as Tubing places that are a lot of fun.

Have a great time. Wish I could go back so soon.
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 08:50 AM

As forgiddy mentioned, there are lots of Ripleys things in Gatlinburg - I like the aquarium a lot, but there's a Believe-It-Or-Not, laser tag, lots of things like that. Most of the shopping there is the touristy sort, at least on the main strip.

Pigeon Forge has tons of outlet malls, along with Dollywood and Dolly's Splash Country (water park next to Dollywood). Dollywood is small depending on what you're used to, but as long as you're not expecting "x-treme roller coaster action" it's fun. I haven't been to Splash Country, but it could be a fun day if they love pools and water.
Old Jul 11th, 2008, 03:04 AM

An awesome thing to do is bike the Cades Cove Loop on a Wednesday or Saturday morning. They close the road until 10 am to all vehicles. You will see lots of wildlife and it will be an experience that your kids will never forget. Get there around 7 or 7:30 with your bikes. If you do not have bikes, you can rent them at the Cades Cove campground store. The loop is eleven miles but you will do lots of stopping so it does not seem long at all.
Old Jul 12th, 2008, 07:57 AM

You can also ride horses in the Cade's Cove area. I'd suggest you devote a day to going over there, driving the loop, tubing in Townsend, and doing the bikes or horses.
Old Jul 12th, 2008, 12:23 PM

Drive to Bryson City, NC and follow the signs to Deep Creek Campground (this is detached section of the GSMNP) Along the way will pass several firms which rent inner tubes. Get one with a wooden bottom. At the parking lot will walk up a trail and then float back down. Be sure to secure sunglasses or eyeglasses as there are a couple of small ledges you will float over and can easily get flipped.
Drive out of Gatlinburg on TN 73 towards Cosby about 8 miles. Look for small sign on right pointing to Greenbrier. River here flows over huge boulders which make good swimming holes. Watch the fast current however. Far less crowded than rest of the park.
Back in Gatlinburg turn at stoplight #8 (numbers under each light) and follow signs to Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail. It is a one way road (ends just outside Gatlinburg)which follows the beautiful Roaring Fork & passing by a number of old homes which can be visited and a cemetery.
If you don't mind a long drive over gravel roads go to Cataloochee Valley on the SE corner of the park. Best place to see the reintroduced elk - best time near twilight.
If you take the one-way Cades Cove loop park at Abrams Falls trailhead (just before Cable Mill) and take the 5 mile trail to the falls which you can walk behind. Look for river otters along the way.
Sunset or sunrise from the parking lot of Clingsman Dome is hard to beat especially if there is fog in the valley.
Old Jul 12th, 2008, 02:36 PM

We rented cabins for my parents' 50th Anniversary. The whole family came so there were lots of teens and they all had a great time. Lots for them to do. My biggest suggestion, is to stay put on the weekend, or do things that you can walk to. The traffic is horrendous on the weekend.... I mean it can take hours to drive a few miles. If you are going to do things that require driving, find the back street or save it for a weekday.
Old Jul 12th, 2008, 09:18 PM

This isn't my thread, but Photodog, can you tell more about this falls hike? My family is going down there next week. We've been to the area a number of times, but haven't taken that hike. Is it five miles one way, and is it strenuous?
Old Jul 13th, 2008, 06:35 AM

An excellent overview of the park with information on the waterfalls and road tours can be found at www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/trip-planner.htm. In any case the earlier you are the better your chances for seeing wildlife and finding a parking place especially at Laurel Falls and in Cades Cove which can be bumper-to-bumper at times.