Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Galveston is a waste of space (if ever close, turn around in Houston)

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2002, 11:07 AM
BNuts

Galveston is the pits..THE pits..had to put extra emphasis on the operative there. It's all of a sudden a super stronghold for the Christian Coalition. Right? In a beach town? Cops run a racket over there for busting anyone who as so much takes a sip of beer. Smells like ****, the air is thicker than water, more bums/capita than Detroit probably. Seriously, you cannot find one convenient store in Galveston that doesn't have at least 5 bums perched out front. Corpus Christi or S. Padre do a much better job of promoting tourism or at least tourism that is FUN!!! Galveston is a maternity ward these days. What tourists there are are all 7-9 year olds on school trips from Houston.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 04:03 PM
brenda

Wow, I totally disagree.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 05:45 PM
Paul

Hi BNuts,

I couldn't agree more with you. I lived in Galveston for 6 years, then Houston for 5 while attending the University of Houston. I remember the "Tar Removal Stations" on the beach for your feet that were used to wipe the oil/sludge off with a provided chemical. This was to keep the hotel's carpeting clean.

And... Funny you should mention Detroit in your post, as I currently live in a Detroit suburb. I know, I know, will I ever get the living location right?

btw, the American Lung Association just rated Houston and Galveston terrible for air quality.

According to the association's report, the 10 most polluted areas were Los Angeles, Riverside and Orange County in southern California; Bakersfield, Fresno, Visalia, Tulare and Porterville, California; Houston, Galveston and Brazoria, Texas; Atlanta; Merced California; Knoxville, Tennessee; Charlotte, North Carolina, and neighboring Rockville, South Carolina, and Sacramento, California.

The cleanest big cities included Bellingham, Washington, Colorado Springs, Colorado, and Lincoln, Nebraska.

Happy Trails,
Paul

Old May 3rd, 2002, 06:29 PM
URNuts

I spent a spring break in Galveston with some friends and we had a great time. We all like sightseeing and history and really enjoyed learning about the flood of 1906. It's a place I'd visit again.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 09:20 PM
don

Drove down from Houston to check it out-it was August and I have never been so hot and unconfortable in my life and I like hot weather. And I thought Chicago was bad in August!

Old May 4th, 2002, 06:30 AM
itshoteverywhere

Surely you don't think Galveston is the only place in Texas it's hot in Texas in August. I live in north Texas and it's an inferno then.

Old May 4th, 2002, 07:14 AM
interested

Paul

Your message was very informative. Now I know where to avoid. I just couldn't help commenting on Lincoln, NE. It is very nice, clean, friendly, and charming, but..."big city"? Lincoln is actually a very small college town. When I first saw Lincoln, I was shocked at how small it is.

Thanks again for all the information.

Old May 4th, 2002, 08:29 AM
interested

Paul

Your message was very informative. Now I know where to avoid. I just couldn't help commenting on Lincoln, NE. It is very nice, clean, friendly, and charming, but..."big city"? Lincoln is actually a very small college town. When I first saw Lincoln, I was shocked at how small it is.

Thanks again for all the information.

Old May 4th, 2002, 10:12 AM
houstonian

I don't agree either. Summered in Southampton as a child, back in the "good old days" before nouveau trendiness set in. Wouldn't bother now. Have been to essentially all the beach areas in the country over the years, Alaska and Hawaii included. Galveston has its own unique flavor. The main attraction is not the beach. Historical sites, Moody Gardens, and some of the restaurants are the reasons to go. There are areas to avoid, but I'm not sure I understand what motivated your post. I commend the folks who have worked to clean the beach. Unfortunately, much of the drunken, rowdy element has migrated to Boliver or other areas.

Old May 4th, 2002, 03:43 PM
Paul

Dear Interested,

I was surprised that Knoxville and Charlotte made the list of some of the worst air pollution.

I have never been to Lincoln, Nebraska. It has always sounded like a nice place to visit - glad you mentioned and praised it.

Paul