Gadsby's Tavern/Restaurant questions for this Sunday

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're in Springfield on Saturday for a family event and then have time on Sunday for a little sightseeing before flying out Sunday evening. We are planning on going to Mount Vernon Sunday morning and then heading to D.C. to see the Holocaust Museum (we've seen most of the sights before). Trying to pick a place for lunch on the way into D.C., and Gadsby's seems like a place we'd all enjoy (our 13 year old boy/girl twins, DH and myself). Can we wear jeans/casual clothes there given that we'll be there at Sunday brunch? If not, what else would be fun/casual, not take too long on the way to D.C.?
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 08:58 AM

I think everywhere in the area is used to tourists not dressing up, but I'm surprised to hear 13-year-olds would enjoy it. They must be great kids! The museum was fascinating history for me and well worth the tour, the restaurant I enjoy in the evenings but almost exclusively for the atmosphere.

Do you know the Torpedo Factory, on the Potomacat the end of Old Town? Seems like that might be something the family could enjoy more--Chart House restaurant on the pier is a chain, but fantastic views, great food, and the area is good for families. For really casual, many, many places in Old Town, including a Five Guys (my favorite burgers in the world). You could just walk/sightsee and decide there.
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, FlaAnn for the suggestions. I checked the menu, and my kids would enjoy it as well as the atmosphere, so if tourist casual is fine, then we'll probably go there, unless we're running out of time. We have a 1 pm reservation at Gadsby's and a 3 pm timed entry for the Holocaust Museum, so we'll see how it goes.
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 08:58 AM

It should be a fairly easy drive down the parkway--maybe 15 minutes? Just take Washington St past the airport to US 1. Hope you have a good day!
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

As a follow up, want to let you know that we did everything as planned. We got to Mount Vernon about 10 am, left there close to 1 pm and made it to Gadsby's at 1:30 (I called from the road to let them know we were running late). We all enjoyed our lunch - never had peanut soup before, mmm! Then just walked in the Holocaust Museum at 3 pm (the time of our timed entry reservation). Left there a little after 5 pm and made our 7:20 flight back home. We had a few navigating miscues, but managed ok and enjoyed ourselves.