Full U.S. & Europe Forums Return!

Old Oct 2nd, 2000, 09:07 AM
Danny Mangin

Full U.S. & Europe Forums Return!

Thanks for all your feedback about the changes we made last month. In response to your overwhelming preference for unfragmented Europe and U.S. forums, we've reinstated them. Our sincere apologies for any inconvenience or distress the fragmenting may have caused.

For technical and other reasons, we'll be making some changes to Travel Talk in the coming months. Among the planned upgrades are better search tools and a couple of delightful new bells and whistles. As we develop these functions, we'll be seeking your input (and my mother says her sonny's a slow learner!). Stay tuned. In the meantime, enjoy the restored forums.

One quick plug: If you're interested in cruises, check out our new Cruise How-to's section, which debuts this week.

Yours truly,

Danny Mangin
Editorial Director
Fodors.com

Old Oct 2nd, 2000, 09:11 AM
David

You're a good man, Danny Mangin (and tell your mother I said so)!

Old Oct 2nd, 2000, 09:31 AM
lisa

Bless you, bless you, bless you. I know you may still take some grief from those who liked some of the forums separate (like Hawaii), but I for one am so glad that you put it back the "old way." Thank you!

Old Oct 2nd, 2000, 02:16 PM
candy

Yes, here comes the grief....

Out of the 100+ opinions I saw on the thread about this format, I counted two in favor of returning Hawaii to the U.S. format. The vast majority wanted it separate, and for good reason. The U.S. forum is once again inundated with posts about Hawaii, IMO, mainly because people who seek to profit from tourists in Hawaii make sure that the posts are always near the top.

Won't you PLEASE split off Hawaii, if nothing else? Pretty please?

Old Oct 2nd, 2000, 02:28 PM
CMcDaniel

Great news, Danny!! FL was suffering over there by itself. We're happy to be back in the Union. gt;

Old Oct 2nd, 2000, 02:30 PM
Lori

Danny,
I already posted my thanks on the Europe forum but I wanted to say it again over here. It's so great to have everything back the old way ... I realize you cannot please all the people all the time so some folks will still be unhappy, but it's great to have everything back the "old way".

Old Oct 2nd, 2000, 06:42 PM
kalena

Hi Danny,

I kind of like having Hawaii back with the rest of the states. This way, more people can contribute. Right now there are only four Hawaii posts in the top fifty...that doesn't seem too excessive (?) I would agree that there are a lot of repetitive FAQ's about Hawaii, so I would encourage fodorites to use some of the cool site features here: creating "miniguides", doing word searches, and accessing the ever-growing rants and raves section. One other suggestion would be to provide links to some of the more common Hawaii web sites. That way the information provided here doesn't become quite so redundant.
Aloha,
k

Old Oct 3rd, 2000, 04:07 AM
Larry

Thanks Danny! And for Candy- where did you see "100+ opinions" on this thread?

Old Oct 3rd, 2000, 05:22 AM
HappyCamper

I am very pleased that Fodors have returned the forums back.

Candy Cane is wrong about Hawaii. I voted 3 times so that alone is more than 2 votes. Hey, if you don't like the messages just skip them.

Old Oct 3rd, 2000, 07:25 AM
stephanie

Thanks, Danny. Before my recent trip to CA I used its seperate forum. I noticed that it didn't get much traffic, and I got very few responses to my questions. I believe they would have received more responses had the forum been unfragmented. I appreciate your interest in our opinions. Thanks!

Stephanie

Old Oct 3rd, 2000, 10:56 AM
xxx

Yes, all you Hawaii travel agents are just pleased as punch to be able to control this board again, aren't you? Searching for a topic won't solve the topping issues because agents come here to post fake questions about the same hotels and activities over and over.

Most people wanted to see Hawaii on another forum, just as most people wanted the Europe forum back together.

Old Oct 3rd, 2000, 11:11 AM
kalena

Travel agent...who?
Just a happy kamaaina here.
Aloha,
k

Old Oct 4th, 2000, 04:17 AM
Larry

hmmmm, before I posted this, only 5 of the most recent 50 threads were Hawaii related. Everytime soembody complains about Hawaii "domination", I just can't see what they're talking about. Of course a US board will have more Hawaii-Florida topics, so what? I also notice every late summer we see a big increase in posts about NE fall foliage touring- gee, maybe every August through November we should have a special board for that! This is such a non-problem.