Reload this Page >

Ft Lauderdale Restaurant Mystery

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 11:22 AM
omahaactor

This may be a shot in the dark, but I'm looking for a restaurant near the beach, possibly just south of the Sheraton Yankee Clipper (where I stayed 8 years ago), rust colored stucco exterior, probably with outdoor seating, and great seafood. None of the places listed here sounded like the one I'm thinking of.

I realize this description could work for a dozen places there, or it may not exist any longer, but maybe if I hear the name, I'll remember!)

Thank you to any helpers out there!

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 12:01 PM
T

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 05:32 PM
Mike

Why doncha call the Sheraton YC & ask them?

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 05:47 PM
Huh?

Wassamatta wit ya, Mike? You 'xpect omahaactor to do da work?

Dat's wat we're here for!

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 03:08 AM
lilmsfoodie

can't think of anything much south of Clipper.

could you be thinking of Casablanca or is it too new. Outside looking on the beach. Food is pretty good.

http://fortlauderdale.citysearch.com/profile/2560459/

South on A1A just before you go over the bridge to the mainland is California Cafe which is wonderful. It is white stucco but you can sit outside and look at mega yachts (200'types) and have exceptionally well prepared fish and other.

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 10:18 AM
Patrick

Was this a more upscale place, or a casual place? Was it like an old stucco home? Sounds like one of my old time favorites, Casa Veccio, which was actually north of the Yankee Clipper (I also can't imagine anything south). I'm not sure, but I believe it is no more.

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 01:48 PM
shiloh

It might be Pusser's which is in front of the Doubletree Hotel. They have a waterfalls and views of the ocean. We had a fantastic, relaxing lunch there.

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 02:04 PM
HHHRRR

I believe that lilmsfoodie got it right. My guess goes to Casablana Cafe as well. We ate there for the first time in Sept. and had a very nice meal. It is at the corner of Alahambra street and A1A.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 12:53 PM
ttt

ttt

Any other guesses?

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 03:40 PM
Stephanie P.

How about Shula's on the Beach? It's a steakhouse type restaurant, but a bit more classier, that the former football person owns - Don Shula.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 03:53 PM
HHHRRR

Stephanie : The decor doesn't fit. We had an appetizer and drink there and it is over rated in my opinion. Never saw more than six people there at any time during our nine day stay in Sept..

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 04:30 PM
lilmsfoodie

I know it isn't pussers, it is a new creation in the past three years and the Casablanca is older and in an old house in the area where A1A is separated into north and south roads with retail and houses in between.

It is an old house, or at least looks to be. We sat in a covered swing with a table and loved looking out at the ocean.

Old Oct 14th, 2002, 06:08 PM
linda

could it be the oasis cafe? It is on the beach although accross the street. I remember eating in a covered swing.

Old Oct 15th, 2002, 01:57 PM
HHHRRR

Definitely the Oasis Cafe. As soon as you mentioned the covered swing, it clicked. See http://www.fortlauderdalebeachrestau...oasis/home.htm

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 07:43 AM
Stephanie P.

HHRR:

I would agree with you on Oasis if you are talking about Lauderdale-by-the-Sea. Live music later in the evening (I think on weekends - not sure) is nice to listen to after dinner. The liquor drinks aren't bad either - not watered down.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 11:29 AM
scott

Max's at beach place is great

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 02:13 PM
iii

The Oasis Café is located just north of the Bahia Mar Hotel and Marina at Fort Lauderdale Beach. We are at the point where A1A North and A1A South separate.

Heading South on I-95:
Exit I-95 at Sunrise Avenue. Turn left (east) and proceed about four miles to the beach. When you reach the beach, you will have to turn either left or right on A1A. Turn right (south) and proceed about 1 mile. A1A will become a divided roadway with the southbound lanes one block west of the northbound lanes. The next traffic signal after the road splits (about ½ mile) is Las Olas Boulevard. Continue on A1A and cross Las Olas. Continue for ¼ mile and as you pass the Oasis Café on your left, make the u-turn back on A1A Northbound. For self-parking, enter the parking lot straight ahead. For valet parking, turn into the Oasis Café entrance on your left.

Heading North on I-95:
Exit I-95 at 595 East (Fort Lauderdale Airport). Continue east about 2 miles and exit at Route 1 North. Continue northbound on Route 1 for about 1 mile. At 17th Street (A1A) turn right (east) and continue to the beach. 17th Street will become A1A when it nears the beach and bends north. Continue past the Bahia Mar Hotel and Marina. The Oasis Café will be on your left at the point where A1A Northbound and Southbound separate. For self-parking, enter the parking lot on your right. For valet parking, turn into the Oasis Café entrance on your left.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 04:50 PM
Paul

Wow - you guys are good!

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 03:58 AM
HHHRRR

Love Fort Lauderdale.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 11:51 AM
omahaactor

Thanks for all the responses - hopefully I can find it once I'm down there (late December). Keep em coming if you think of anything else!