Search

from Tampa to Palm Beach

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2005, 06:45 AM
LI8
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
from Tampa to Palm Beach

I have plane tickets to Tampa , but have changed loging options to Palm Beach.
Should be back from Palm Beach to Tampa airport by noon on Monday.
How bad is idea to drive from Tampa to Palm Beach on Monday midday?
How is the traffic , what is the best driving routes?

Old Mar 29th, 2005, 07:35 AM

Your message is a bit confusing. I gather you will land in Tampa, but you want to drive to Palm Beach. I don't understand the reason for the mention of "should be back from Palm Beach to Tampa airport by noon on Monday," but I assume you want to possibly drive over to Palm Beach and then drive back to Tampa by noon on Monday. If that is the case, though, I don't understand why you ask about driving from Tampa to Palm Beach on Monday. Somewhere there seems to be one too many trips.

But your basic question appears to be "how long and how sensible is it to drive between Tampa and Palm Beach?" or the other way around. That is a question I can answer.

From the Tampa airport, follow signs for Interstate 275 south and continue on I-275 until it intersects I-75 south, then continue south on I-75 to Florida highway 70 east to Arcadia. Continue on 70 east past Okeechobee, then take highway 110 south and it takes you right into Palm Beach. Good luck.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 07:36 AM

Sorry, I forgot to mention that you can expect the drive to take around 4 hours, maybe a little less if there is no traffic. Good luck.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 07:43 AM

Personally, I wouldn't want to make that drive on the day you have to fly back home (which is the way I read your post), especially if you need to be at the airport by noon.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 07:43 AM

Frankly I'd allow at least 5 hours minimum. There aren't any direct routes. Probably the best is to get on the Florida Turnpike in Palm Beach, take it up to the Orlando area then get on I-4 back towards Tampa. You can cut off at Kissimmee and avoid going all the way into Orlando. This will cost you about $10-13 in tolls.

Another alternative is to actually go south on I-95 to I-595 which runs into I-75 [Alligator Alley] then just stay on I-75 until you get to Tampa.

Try plugging your locations into Mapquest and see what you get for driving directions.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 08:26 AM

The other option is Florida's Turnpike to Hwy 60 (Yeehaw Junction) and take Hwy 60 into Tampa. More traffic and will take more time probably than the previously posted route of the route through Okeechobee and Hwy 70. That had always been my preferred route - I travel quite a bit between the two !
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 03:41 PM
LI8
Original Poster

Thank you very much for answering.
My big consern was a traffic along the route from Tampa to Palm Beach and opposite on weekdays.
Looks like it is not the best idea to drive. Five hours of driving before flight and one hour after. So, I need to change the reservations to fly to Palm Beach.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 03:54 PM

Keep in mind that Ft Lauderdale is less than an hour from Palm Beach airport and you can sometimes get better prices in Lauderdale. Good Luck !
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 07:21 PM

LI8, you've switched to Palm Beach? I think that is the best idea. If you have your heart set on the beach, then just get away from the red tide.

You don't want to make that car trip in less than 5 hrs. or you'll be a wreck. So either plan to leave Palm Beach at 5 or 6 A, or change to Palm Beach. Or FLL or Miami.

I hope you get everything worked out. And have a great trip. Come back to the Gulf coast when the "tide" turns
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 06:35 AM
LI8
Original Poster

TG:
Thank you very much. Just hope red tide will not ruin my plans next time when I deside to go to Gulf coast. I want to return back to Sanibel and explore Sarasota area.
Looking forward toward vacation in Palm Beach area. keep my fingers crossed.

Enjoy you day.
At last we have some warm weather here +58 today.
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 06:55 AM

One more option that may be cheaper than changing your flights - book a hotel near the Tampa airport for the night before your departure and guarantee it for late arrival. Then you can play all of your last day in Palm Beach, leave there after dinner, arrive at your Tampa hotel late night, sleep in and still make your flight around noon.
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 11:07 AM

Southwest also has cheap flights from PBI to TPA.
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 04:28 AM
Lwc

Hi. I would like to know if the red tide effects are still really bad.
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 04:53 AM

Lwc, I understand your concern about Red Tide and there are several current threads on that issue, as well as suggestions for website for updates. But why did you revive a three month old post about transporation from Tampa to Palm Beach to ask a red tide question? I'm just curious what one topic has to do with the other.