Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

From Las Vegas to Salt Lake City-anything worthwhile to stop and see?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be driving from Las Vegas to Salt Lake City. Wondering if there is anything worthwhile to stop and see on the way? I think the drive is about 6 hours so will plan to stop of course to eat etc. Never been to Utah before so looking forward to something new to see! Thanks!
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 09:55 AM

Please define "worthwhile".
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 10:20 AM

I guess you're going to take Interstate 15? Because if you took Interstate 80 instead through Elko, you could stop to see this:

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/pet/whtking.html
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 10:26 AM

My husband and I make this drive all the time, though usually we're in a hurry from SLC to LA and we don't make many stops. The drive is mostly scenery (parts really nice—red rock and pastoral, parts really boring) with only a few towns along the way—Mesquite, St. George, Cedar City, Beaver, then a long stretch until Nephi. (We usually stop in St. George or Nephi since they have the most dining options.)

You'll drive through a gorgeous red rock canyon after Mesquite and before St. George—it's always my favorite part of the trip, but it can be a little treacherous depending on the weather.

Depending on if you want to take any side trips, you'll be passing pretty close to Zions National Park. If you've never been it's worth the extra time.
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 04:39 PM

I believe yu'll be going past Nevada's Valley of Fire state park. Spectacular! An album is at http://tinyurl.com/yzjvmxm
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 05:31 PM

free,

LV to SLC is more like 7.5 hours. when are you doing this? Winter weather could slow you down CONSIDERABLY.

Surely you have heard of Zion Natl Park? How much time do you have? A 2 day visit would be minimum to see the basics.

Other good things not far off I-15.
How much time do you have and what is your primary objective?
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

We will be doing this 2nd week of May, on a Sunday.
We are planning to save Zion on the way back so just really need some "pit" stops along the way to stop, see something interesting or scenic, maybe a decent place to stop for early dinner, etc, especially if its going to take about 7.5 hours!
(thanks for all the previous responses and suggestions).
I think we are taking Interstate 15. I guess they have rest areas/gas along I 15? Thanx!
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 04:54 PM

free,

Your largest cities along I-15 will be St. George, Cedar City (45 min. from St. George), then really nothing until you get to Nephi, Spanish Fork, then Provo, Orem, and on to SLC.

There are a couple of historical sites along the way. One is Cove Ft. which I honestly can't say I've every actually visited. I usually just breeze on by because if I'm driving from Utah to so CA or Zion, I'm in a hurry.

Food along the way is nothing to shout about. Not to say there aren't good places, just nothing noteworthy that I know of.

Just stop when you need gas. If you leave LV early, you should be in SLC in time for dinner. Lots of good restaurants there!
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 06:54 PM

As others have mentioned -- Zion & Bryce National Parks?