French Quarter restaurants

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read mixed reviews about all of the French quarter restaurants....I'm talking about Arnaud, K Paul, Mr . B's, Brennan's, Antoines, Galatoire, etc. People either have a great experience or are disappointed by the service and food. Most seem to complain that the prices don't match the food and/or service. Would someone who either lives in New Orleans or has been there many times give me some help on choosing a restaurant in the French quarter? I have been to Upperline's and Brigsten's but both are in the Garden district and I had a great meal at both.
Old Nov 25th, 2010, 04:56 AM

I like Mr B's for the casual, modern setting with good food.
Your other entries are classics and can draw great crowds.
You won't be disappointed with any of these options.
Old Nov 25th, 2010, 06:20 AM

K Paul's has lunch Thursday - Saturday. The ambience is not what you get when having dinner there, but the food is very good. It is served over the counter on paper plates. I think it's the best lunch in the quarter. Very reasonable, good variety, delicious food, in and out quickly. Perfect if you're walking around in the quarter during the day. Check out Cachon's in the Warehouse District. Casual atmosphere, not your typical creole-cajun fare. More like a Cajun butcher shop. I like Mr. B's also. Try their BBQ shrimp.
Old Nov 25th, 2010, 07:08 AM

People complaing that the food is not worth the price may have nohting to do with the food but with their food budget.

Some meals are overpriced at $15 and other are worth $300 (unless your max budget is $50). You need to decide what you are comfortable spending without expecting a standard that no restaurant could meet.
Old Nov 25th, 2010, 08:06 AM

I'd probably say Galatoire's has better consistently that the rest, followed by Mr. B's, K-Pauls, Brennan's, Arnauds and lastly Antoines. Antoines is noted for its horrible lack of consistency.
Old Nov 25th, 2010, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

We will definitely try Mr. B's. What do you think of the Emeril restaurants in New Orleans? Thanks for your help. I always trust this forum.
Old Nov 25th, 2010, 02:41 PM

My first trip to NO was about 50 years ago and we've been going on a fairly regular basis ever since - much less since Katrina, though.

I'm sorry to say that the restaurants that we used to think were perfectly reliable (and wonderful) aren't necessarily that anymore.

We've had exceptional meals at Galatoire's in the past but the last two were so mediocre we haven't been back.

Mr. B's was always a favorite of ours (oh, that gumbo ya-ya!), but the past few meals...blah. I admit to a personal bias against some of these places because when we started going to NO, there were dress codes and a certain amount of decorum that's missing now. I can't say my appetite is whetted by folks in t-shirts and jeans with holes.

We started with K-Paul's when customers went upstairs and ate in the kitchen. It was absolutely fabulous, but went through a bad spell while Paul Prudhomme was focusing more on his TV appearances than his restaurant. Last time we were there, though, the food was absolutely wonderful...one of the best meals we had that trip.

In my opinion, breakfast at Brennan's is the biggest tourist trap in town. I'm used to paying for good food, but there's practically no way in the world to justify their prices for breakfast. I've heard that the dinners there have undergone a big improvement, but I haven't had one recently.

My all-time old favorite is Commander's Palace. As far as I'm concerned, their service has always been excellent, and though I still love the food, it just doesn't seem to "sing" like it used to. I can't imagine a trip to NO without a trip to CP, though. Maybe it's my dress code bias rearing its ugly head again.

As for Emeril's restaurants, we've only tried one: NOLA. It was crowded, loud, and the food was not good. And I mean it was actually bad enough that my husband and I got sick.

Of course this is just a handful of places to eat in NO, and there are dozens of them. We've had very good meals at the aforementioned Upperline and Brigsten's.

I hate that this sounds like such a negative review - especially for a place I really love. Let me add that we still go to NO, but just less often and less enthusiastically than we used to.
Old Nov 25th, 2010, 05:50 PM

We were in New Orleans in May and ate dinner at Bayona (very good and lovely, but not better than anything we have in San Francisco), Commander's Palace (very nice service, very good food, but not sensational, and by the way, the dress code has been much relaxed since Katrina), Mila (very good food, quiet) and Emeril's (absolutely fabulous is every way, except for the noise level -- the food was outstanding and the service some of the best I've ever experienced).
Old Nov 26th, 2010, 10:55 AM

sf - Unfortunately - at least to me - the dress code at Commander's Palace had relaxed long before Katrina, when coats were no longer required for men.

Last time we were there some of the diners looked downright sloppy.
Old Nov 28th, 2010, 10:33 AM

Regarding all these FQ based restaurants gaelle mentioned:

"Arnaud, K Paul, Mr . B's, Brennan's, Antoines, Galatoire"

I have been to all of them. Based on my experiences, I would highly recommend Galatoire's, K-Paul, Mr. B's, and Arnaud's for dinner. Myself, I'd be suspicious of negative reviews of any of these four. I found some dishes at Antoine's to be good, but not all of them, and would consider this place less of a must-do. Negative reviews here would not be surprising. I also was not especially taken with the meal I had at NOLA, Emeril's FQ restaurant, and I found the place very noisy compared to the rest.

I had breakfast at Brennan's -- thought the prices were insanely high but had a memorably good experience on food and service. Note that not everyone agrees, though. Have seen complaints from many people who consider the place a tourist trap and gripes about poor food and service here -- however, that wasn't my experience.

Here's my food report on a trip to NOLA earlier this year:

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...experience.cfm
Old Nov 28th, 2010, 05:36 PM

bachslunch - I've read lots of your posts and respect your point of view. However, to say you'd be "suspicious of negative reviews" of places you've enjoyed doesn't make much sense to me.

I tried hard to balance both my good and bad experiences with my favorite restaurants over the years.

As I said before, I love NO and I'm glad you had some great dining experiences there. My opinions are simply that - opinions - but they span decades of experience.

"Arnaud, K Paul, Mr . B's, Brennan's, Antoines, Galatoire"

I have been to all of them. Based on my experiences, I would highly recommend Galatoire's, K-Paul, Mr. B's, and Arnaud's for dinner. Myself, I'd be suspicious of negative reviews of any of these four."

I've been to all of those, too, bachslunch. Through the years they all have been through ups and downs - which is not unusual - and for that reason I think it's risky to assume any particular place will be great at any one time.

In any event, keep up your great trip reports, I've enjoyed them all!
Old Nov 29th, 2010, 12:44 PM

SusanCS, thanks for the kind words. I've enjoyed reading your posts as well.

I normally do a decent bit of homework on (among other things) restaurants before I go on a trip. I will check places like Yelp and Tripadvisor, but I've encountered by far the best advice from Chowhound, either via direct questions or searches of past posts. And I've seen very little dissension regarding the quality of Arnaud's, K-Paul's, Mr. B's, and Galatoire's from posters in online venues I respect -- all get lavish praise from many folks. My experiences at all four fell in line with what I've read, and my experiences there are relatively recent, less than a year old.

Antoine's and Brennan's are a different story. Comments range all over the place on these two, with a large number of negatives from people who seem to have good track records critiquing eateries. I was keen to try them anyway, and was pleasantly surprised with my experience at Brennan's -- horribly expensive, but extremely good -- and found my mixed experience at Antoine's not to be all that surprising. As they say in football, that's why they play the game -- speculation only goes so far.

Sure, any restaurant can produce a bad dish, a bad day, or even a bad week. Conceivably, it could even have happened at one of these four spots. But I've seen reviews of restaurants, even sometimes at Chowhound, where it seems very likely the naysayer is a crackpot, a competitor, an uninformed sort, or something else. In my experience, they're more likely to occur at Yelp or Tripadvisor.

Anyway, hope this explains why I posted above as I did.
Old Nov 29th, 2010, 02:50 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry to say I haven't been back to NO since Katrina.
Worst breakfast I had there was a small restaurant on the north side of the street along the St. Charles line. Eggs and a ham slice. Cook left the plastic on the ham slice when he cooked it. I took it off myself.
Cafe-du-Monde is a good choice for begniet and coffee.
Old Nov 29th, 2010, 03:46 PM

Our favorite restaurants in NO are not in the Quarter. We had a great meal last year at Jacques-Imo's and always enjoy the jazz brunch at Commander's Palace. My favorite restaurant in the Quarter is Cafe Maspero - certainly not in the category you are describing, but a NO institution for oyster poboys, muffulettas and shrimp etouffee. It has been a number of years since we ate at Brennan's, but we thought it was great.
Old Nov 29th, 2010, 04:40 PM

Two of our favorites:

Irenes:

http://neworleans.citysearch.com/pro...s_cuisine.html

Deanie's:

http://www.deanies.com/
Old Nov 29th, 2010, 05:53 PM

bachs - thanks for the elucidation
Old Dec 17th, 2010, 02:13 PM

Add Domenica and Luke to your NOLA restaurant lists. They both have a 3/6 PM happy hour special half price drinks and half priced appetizers. Feast and Meson 923 are new restaurants open in the CBD.

Feast Restaurant @ 200 Julia Street, New Orleans, LA 504 - 304 - 6318.
https://sites.google.com/site/feastneworleans/
Meson 923 @ 923 S Peters Street, New Orleans, LA 504 - 523 - 9200.
http://meson923.com/