French Broad Market in Ashville, NC

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2013, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to be at the Biltmore for most of the day. I was wanting some picnic supplies, as we will travel back through The Smokies that afternoon and would like to picnic somewhere along the way in the National Park.

Basically, I just want some sort of Sandwich or Salad, perhaps some chips, drink, maybe something sweet(although, I plan on stopping at French Broad Chocolate Lounge).
Does the French Broad Market offer pre-made grand and go type items. I'm just not really sure what this place is like, but would like to check it out. There is a Whole Foods close by, so I could just go there, but I always prefer something I haven't seen before.

Anyone been to the French Broad Market? I will be there on a Saturday.
Old May 11th, 2013, 04:42 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
No.

But the wine market downtown is my favorite wine store anywhere. I would make wide detours to go through Asheville. If you are driving home, stop by and check them out. The owner (manager?) always does a great job of buying very good table wines at great prices. I'd just buy a case (mixed) of his recommendations and I've never been disappointed.
http://www.ashevillewine.com/

Be sure to stop in and walk around the Mast General Store across the street. Great store. The original one in Valle Cruces is still my favorite though.
http://www.mastgeneralstore.com/

If you want sandwiches, consider ordering something to go from Tupelo Honey. Better yet, carve out enough time to sit down and eat there -
https://tupelohoneycafe.com/location...asheville/menu
Old May 11th, 2013, 04:54 PM

I looked at their website. Yes, I have been there. It's been a while.
http://www.frenchbroadfood.coop/about-us/departments/

Here's the info on their to go stuff -
Pop by our Grab & Go section for lunch on the run or to take to our inside seating or outside patio area. We've got hot soup, an array of sandwiches and wraps, an organic salad bar, and much more!

Sounds good. But Tupelo Honey is REALLY good.
Here's the link to the downtown location -
https://tupelohoneycafe.com/location/downtown-asheville

And you should really wander in and around Malaprop's - one of the best independent bookstores anywhere
http://www.malaprops.com/

All of the above is within a half mile of each other. Save some at least a little bit of time to wander and enjoy downtown Asheville
Old May 11th, 2013, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

I saw that on their website, but I have looked all over the web and couldn't figure out if it was a Farmers Market, Grocery Store, or what. It seems to me to be a combo. I know they have tent/booths set up only on weds.

We don't drink. And my last name is Redwine. Go figure. lol
Old May 11th, 2013, 06:40 PM

Yes, it's a reclaimed space for an indoor market. I guess it's been 5+ years since I walked in there. A lot of the towns/cities around there are local farmers' markets where real farmers bring their produce, jams and jellies to sell. I know nothing about the particular vendors inside.

I can tell you Tupelo Honey is very good. It's a favorite of friends who live there and they do offer food to go.

Where are you coming from/going next?
Old May 12th, 2013, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Coming from Galtinburg and going back the same day. Just going to Biltmore and don't have any other plans for Ashville on this trip. Will eat a heavier lunch at Biltmore. Was just wanting something light for our trip back over the mountains. Was trying to decide whether I wanted to trythe Coop or just stick with Whole Foods. I do plan on stopping at the Chocolate Lounge, so we might not even want anything.
Old May 25th, 2013, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

French Broad Coop Market isn't worth your time(went in and left within 5 minute-didn't buy a single thing). Greenlife/Whole Foods 1/2 mile up the street is 10 times better. Coop was unfriendly, dirty, grungy,creepy, hippie joint. Could not find a salad or sandwich pre-made that looked like anything I would want to eat.
Old May 25th, 2013, 08:08 PM

I wasn't impressed when I was there years ago - but it had been so long things could have changed.

Did you take a look at Tupelo Honey by any chance?
Old May 26th, 2013, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

No. I did see one right across from The Tomato Head in Knoxville Too. The Tomato Head was great though. I came close to buying a Tupelo Honey cookbook. I actually buy Tupelo Honey(actual honey) from time to time. I wonder if that's the same company?