Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Your favorite restaurants, etc., in Asheville NC

Your favorite restaurants, etc., in Asheville NC

Dec 18th, 2017, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Your favorite restaurants, etc., in Asheville NC

I'll be stopping in Asheville for about 24 hours. Looking for restaurant recs. All cuisines and prices are in play.

Also, any local attractions -- other than the Biltmore Estate-- you'd recommend?

TY
Dec 18th, 2017, 05:05 PM

Curate - wonderful Spanish tapas, Limones - upscale Mexican (absolutely delicious)
Dec 19th, 2017, 03:05 AM

We enjoyed Cucina24 but it gets mixed reviews.
Dec 19th, 2017, 04:21 AM

Among the better restaurants in Asheville are: The Admiral, Posana, Chestnut, The Market Place, Cucina 24, Bouchon, Limones, Isa's, Bull and Beggar, Curate, Nightbell, Rhubarb, Jargon, Sovereign Remedies, All Souls Pizza, Nine Mile, Taco Billy, Pizza Mind, White Lab -- tough choice with only 24 hours. All depends on what you feel like. AVL is a foodie town.

For coffee and pastries: Karen Donatelli or OWL. Donuts: The Hole. Ice cream: The Hop. For tea: Dobra.

Then of course there are breweries - lots of them all through town.

Another activity is music: Isis, Orange Peel, Grey Eagle, Jack of the Woods, lots of others - just depends on your taste. Checkout Mountain Express for what is happening while your here. https://mountainx.com/
Dec 19th, 2017, 05:48 AM

Tupelo Honey.
Wander into the Mast General Store.
If you are driving home, pick up a case of the wine buyer's selections from the Asheville Wine Market. I detour to Asheville when my stock is low.
Be sure to visit the Grove Park Inn and at least have a cocktail in front of the giant fireplace. Eat on the Sunset Terrace if it's warm enough. There are neat shops next door in the Grove.
Dec 20th, 2017, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, all. Someone mentioned to me a place that has a fabulous brunch that might have the word "Garden" in it. Ring a bell?
May 16th, 2018, 07:58 AM

Can I resurrect this thread? Haven't spent time in that area since 1971-1973 when I apprenticed at Flat Rock Playhouse. We're looking at three free nights in Asheville at the Hyatt Place downtown in mid July. . One day we will be going to Flat Rock for a matinee and seeing a few old friends there, but returning to Asheville for the night. Don't plan on doing Biltmore. I remember the Grove Park Inn as a splendid place nicknamed "God's waiting room" for all the old people -- but now I'm one of them. Just a cocktail? Lunch? Is dinner decent? Also looking for good upscale restaurant recommendations -- not so much those loud tapas type places or breweries. Any top places? Love hitting some of the art and craft places (not cutesy country living things though). Suggestions?
May 16th, 2018, 08:45 AM

We enjoyed, and spent money in. the New Morning Gallery last week. If you go there I'll let you decide if my taste is "cutesy." The place has some interesting stuff IMO and is worth a look.
May 16th, 2018, 09:12 AM

By cutesy, I meant things like crocheted toilet paper covers that look like ducks or painted wood signs that say things like "I love to roam, but there's no place like home".

Thanks for the recommendation.
May 16th, 2018, 03:59 PM

New Morning Gallery is definitely not cutesy. It has fine quality, high end, hand made crafts, jewelry, silver, ceramics, furniture, sculpture, really fantastic things.
May 16th, 2018, 04:36 PM

vinnie's old question = probably the Jerusalem Garden Cafe
https://www.romanticasheville.com/breakfast.htm

Drinks in the lobby of the Grove Park or a meal on the Sunset Terrace = great choices, no matter one's age.

If you are driving, I highly recommend the buyer's choices at the Asheville Wine Market in downtown. I usually leave with a case of white and a case of red - at great prices. I've never been disappointed.

If it's been a while since you've been Black Mountain, you may want to stop there too
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura..._Carolina.html

I was in Hendersonville on Monday. The mountains are pretty right now. The purple rhodys are blooming and the mountain laurel are budding.
May 16th, 2018, 07:35 PM

NeoPatrick, check for flooding before you make the drive to Flat Rock.
Here's a video of the flooding today in Hendersonville -
https://www.facebook.com/News13/vide...i0DJ8oj3JbnCxM

Aerial footage captured by 1986 Productions shows flooding on the streets of Hendersonville. Heavy rain fell for much of the day Wednesday and is expected to continue for the next several days. -- http://bit.ly/2Iq09vF
May 17th, 2018, 07:29 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I hope the flooding danger will be gone by mid July! The timing works for us -- but wish it could have been now when things are really in bloom, or else in fall with the colors. A fellow apprentice from those 50 years ago just posted a lot of pictures on the grounds of the Flat Rock Playhouse (he's now the student director and also a scenic designer there). it is gorgeous right now.
I've booked a dinner at the Sunset Terrace at Grove Park Inn. Our other meal will probably be one of those "trendyish" places downtown. A number of them look good. Small plates, farm to table, and tapas seem to really be the "in" things there.
May 17th, 2018, 10:59 AM

Biltmore has a Chihuly exhibit opening today thru October. Hoping I can fit it in sometime.
May 17th, 2018, 02:45 PM

We really like Cúrate in Asheville. For breakfast Biscuit Head and Hole Doughnuts are fun.
May 17th, 2018, 08:44 PM

Corner Kitchen in Biltmore Village is another breakfast favorite we have enjoyed although it can be a wait to get in sometimes.
May 18th, 2018, 05:51 AM

This year's James Beard nominees from Asheville:

https://www.citizen-times.com/story/...sts/340893002/

I like the Folk Art Center on the Parkway, and there is a crafts fair near the end of July:

https://www.southernhighlandguild.org/
May 18th, 2018, 06:18 AM

Our kids (foodies) LOVED Biscuit Head.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura..._Carolina.html

And as an addendum we ALL hate The Flying Biscuit which canNOT serve a decent biscuit!! LOL
Just in case there is one anywhere anyone is going!!
May 20th, 2018, 06:16 AM

One restaurant that I feel tends to get overlooked is The Market Place on Wall Street. It's been here for decades but it's still very good.

Another favorite that I'd recommend if you're in Biltmore Village is Fig. It's truly excellent, both for lunch and dinner.
May 20th, 2018, 06:35 AM

Oh, and one other that I'd highly recommend: Rhubarb on Pack Square. I would also recommend sitting inside rather than their outdoor patio area.

Search this Thread