French Bistro in NYC

Search

French Bistro in NYC

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
French Bistro in NYC

Years ago (20 or so) I met the man I was then engaged to for a romantic weekend in Manhattan. He took me to a small, very intimate bistro, I believe in the Village. If my memory serves me, it was called the Paris Bistro. Since then, I have been unable to find anything like it at all.

I am planning to take my daughter, sister in-law, and niece (they are from Cleveland, and have NEVER been to New York at all!) to Manhattan in early August, and would love to take them to this bistro, or something similar. It was small, cozy, rather dark, but lit with candles, and the food was amazing. I think it might have been on MacDougal Street??? My familiarity with the city is limited, so I am not sure this is even the village is even the right area for MacDougall... sorry. If anyone knows of a very nice intimate French bistro I'd really appreciate your help. I DO NOT want to do the touristy things -- like Tavern (UGH) or teh Marriott Marquis. I would prefer a "real people" restaurant, with great atmosphere and food. I'd also appreciate any suggestions for a small, Italian restaurant as well.
This is the first time our girls have seen each other in 15 years, and it's a final pre-college fling for my daughter , who just graduated, so we want to make this very special. Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 03:40 PM

I remember eating at Paris Bistro in the Village at least 20 years ago. As far as I kow, it has been gone for quite a while. Are you now looking for a place specifically in the Village?
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 03:52 PM

Not in the Village - but for bistro we often do La Mangeoire on 2nd in the low 50's.
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 04:47 PM
GerdaFaust

Is "Flea Market" still in the East Village? If so, very authentic and enjoyable.

Old Jun 29th, 2007, 07:30 AM

Is "Flea Market" still in the East Village? If so, very authentic and enjoyable.

Flea Market is on Ave A. near 9th Street.
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 08:34 AM

An cozy French bistro I like very much is Jarnac at W. 12th and Greenwich. Another one I also like is CamaJe on MacDougal. It's very tiny but has good food and a bit of charm.
You might enjoy Piccolo Angolo for Italian. It's an old fashioned place with a very amusing owner/host.
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 09:13 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
la Goulue on Madison on the upper east side. The opposite of touristy. All the diners were speaking French.
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 10:59 AM

You will prob. like Le Refuge, 166 E. 82nd, St.-betw. Lexington and 3rd. (lerefugenyc.com
or check out zagat.com
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 11:25 AM

and from your other thread on the same subject

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=35024018
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

I don't know how this was posted twice. So sorry! Thanks for all your input. You have given me many options. Now the difficulty is deciding which one to experience first!
Thank you!
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 01:14 PM
GerdaFaust

Le Refuge is wonderful, and was a favorite of Jackie O!

Old Jun 29th, 2007, 05:38 PM

Tartine, W 11th at W 4th, West Village (stick with downtown). Le Jardin on Lafayette at Cleveland Pl; beautiful garden in back. Pastis and Balthazar, very trendy but excellent food. Paradou, Little West 12th St. Provence, Macdougal St south of Houston; a classic, again with a garden. Jarnac for sure should be on any downtown French bistro list. Le Gigot, on Cornelia St; tiny and hard to get into to, food used to be better but is still good. Cafe Cluny, on W 12th. A.O.C. on Bleecker is fabulous. Your daughters might enjoy St Marks Place in the E Village; Jules is right there, but I find the sidewalk crowds too much to take in the summer. Bon appetit.