Four Ladies Going to NYC in September

May 31st, 2008, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Four Ladies Going to NYC in September

I have been reading a lot of your threads and have gotten some wonderful ideas from many of you. Thank you for taking the time to share experiences and even wonderful photographs from your trips.

I lived in Long Beach before 2001 and worked at JFK. I have been back to visit briefly several times, usually to shop. I am coming with 3 ladies that have never been to New York and want to plan the trip around their preferences. My daughter lives in Soho and we will be doing a few things with her. We found a Clarion hotel on Grand Street that is only a few blocks from where she lives.

We arrive on Wednesday, September 17, and depart on Sunday, September 21. We are going to dinner with my daughter Wednesday night and maybe have a dessert at Pinkberry.

Thursday we are thinking about the Chelsea Market/Meatpacking District Food and Culture Tour. We purchased tickets for "Jersey Boys" at 8:00 p.m. I thought we would have time to clean up and relax before we left for the theater. Is Serendipity frozen hot chocolate still a popular dessert. It is something I have always wanted to try, however I never seemed to have time. I don't know if it is in the proximity of the theater and even if they are open late on a Thursday night. Does anyone have any other suggestions for after theater fare?

Friday we are considering tour day. I sent them information on the Sex and the City Tour, a full spectrum NYC tour including lunch and a boat tour around the city. I also sent them information about the New York Showbiz Insider Tour. Does anyone have recommendations or reviews of any of the tours?

Saturday we are doing brunch in Soho and shopping till we drop with my daughter. Are there any "don't miss" shopping spots? We like clothes, shoes, jewelry, home decor, and did I mention SHOES! We are a group of 2 grandmothers, 1 mother and 1 single lady.

Sunday is get-away day.

Thank you for your help...HELP!

Gail
May 31st, 2008, 08:03 PM

Serenipity's frozen hot chocolate will always be popular. I'm not sure if it's worth a post-theater visit on a Thurs night. Serendipity3 is at 225 E. 60th St (betw 2nd & 3rd Aves) 212-838-3531 and closes at midnight on Thurs. They are open later on Fri and Sat. From the theater, you would either take a cab (this is what I would suggest because there are four of you) or take the subway (4,5,6,N or R) It's usually packed with kids, but I've never been there on a weekday night.

Your visit sounds like a lot of fun! Enjoy!

There's a Pinkberry in my neighborhood and it is always crowded. I don't understand the huge popularity - tea flavored yogurt???? I love chocolate.
Jun 1st, 2008, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Centralparkgirl. Would visiting Serendipity be more fun on the weekend? The taxi sounds like a good idea since my sister-in-law has bad knees. We will probably have her worn out from the walking tour.
Jun 1st, 2008, 09:05 AM

I live close to Serendipity but have not entered since I was a child, many decades ago. But I will just warn you that every time I walk past that place in the daytime, I see throngs of people waiting outside, many with strollers. I would be sure to reserve if possible. If you want an over-the-top, gooey chocolate dessert, you could also check out Max Brenners with several locations including one in the East village and one south of Union Square.

http://www.maxbrenner.com/menus.html
Jun 1st, 2008, 10:09 AM

If you are near Union Square, you should check out DSW on 14th Street.

If you are rich, walk north of Union Square, on Broadway, and hit up ABC Carpet and Home for throw pillows for your yacht.

If you are poor, walk up the block to Fishes Eddy (it's across the street) for cheap dishes and glasses.

There is a Jo Malone in the Flatiron Building if you feel the need for a $95 grapefruit candle.

Thingorjus
Jun 1st, 2008, 10:16 AM
dmlove

Proenza, you had me literally LOL with your post, particularly If you are rich, walk north of Union Square, on Broadway, and hit up ABC Carpet and Home for throw pillows for your yacht !

Jun 1st, 2008, 10:24 AM

For shoes, I like Tootsie Plohound on 5th ave @16th-17th Street (I should, my kittie's dr is above it) Lower 5th Ave has tons of stores, many are chains. There is also one in Soho.

Then again, I don't have the patience to jack around at DSW looking for a bargain amongst the hoards of ladies.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 08:53 AM

Hello Gpence,
Chiming in on the shopping part of your trip... for a great browsing neighborhood, I'd recommend Nolita. Soho is certainly packed with big, impressive, global-boldface brands but nearby Nolita is packed with small, unique, more local boutiques. There are also a couple of terrific places to get a snack or light meal.

For shoes in particular, here's a truly special spot: Te Casan, on West Broadway between Spring and Broome streets. The shoes here are done in limited-edition series so you can find things that are one-of-a-kind. Most of the designers are European up-and-comers, although the store also has a few glam partnerships, like a recent collection of vegan-friendly shoes designed by Natalie Portman.

Have a wonderful time!
Jun 2nd, 2008, 12:45 PM

We had a group stay at that hotel last Spring. Make sure to get an upper-level room, as there is a dance club adjoininng and folks in the lower floors had noise issues. The staff was very friendly and helpful, and the location is great, and off the beaten mid-town path.

You can walk easily to Little Italy, Chinatown and the Lower East Side (check out the Lower East Side Tenement Museum and Katz's Deli), the East Village, Greenwich Village and Soho. One morning we took a cab down to walk out onto the Brooklyn Bridge, then walked up through the courts district, through Chinatown, and over to the Tenement Museum. Also a quick cab ride away from Peter Luger's steakhouse in Brooklyn.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

I really appreciate your suggestions...I am neither rich nor poor, just blessed to be able to travel and do most of the things I truly want to do. I am still laughing, Proenza_Preschooler, however I may have to pass on the $95 grapefruit candle.

ekscrunchy: Max Brenners looks VERY tempting and is close to where we are staying. Have you had their brunch? I am a chocoholic at heart...with some of their chocolatey fare, I might not need any coffee, lol.

cherrybomb: I will definitely check out Tootsie Plohound...thank you!

Jen_P: I am intrigued by your description of Te Casan. I think we all will want to go there. I need to look at a map to see where Nolita is located. I am assuming it is close to Soho. Thank you for the recommendation.

DancingBearMD: I appreciate the heads up about the hotel. I will call right away and request a high floor. I like your suggestions for sightseeing and dining. Peter Luger Steakhouse sounds good. I have been thinking too much about desserts food tours and brunches and not enough about dinners.

I am getting revved up for this trip already!

Blessings to all of you for taking the time to help us.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 04:21 PM

I have been to NYC four times. Once during a college humanities trip(in the first century), next two trips with my two college friends, all our early sixties and last July with our grandson for his high school graduation. I think one thing "the girls" and I did that we liked the best was the Lincoln Center tour. We took it on a Sunday a.m. when there wasn't much else going on....NY Ballet, Met. Opera, etc...all beautiful and interesting theaters. We are all beyond shopping, so can't help you there at all. Our other favorite thing was just taking a city bus all the way to ? Museum(mind gone) and taking the subway back...it was an unbelievable sight to see all the different neighborhoods. On each trip we also did the harbor cruise and city tour.
Jun 2nd, 2008, 04:51 PM

If you do go to Peter Luger's in Williamsburg, just know that they don't accept credit cards other than their own. My mouth is watering!
Jun 2nd, 2008, 07:50 PM

cash machine is outside the door of Luger's, no need to worry about cc. They do also take debit cards now, but do not advert it.
Jun 3rd, 2008, 03:20 AM

desertduds, you might be talking about the bus up to the Cloisters, which runs way up Broadway to the top of Manhattan.
Jun 3rd, 2008, 03:48 AM

Gpence, my niece and I went to Serendipity a few years ago and I've taken a few paragraphs from my blog about our experience there. If you want to read more and see photos: www.maggiwun.blogspot.com

We walked up 5th Avenue to Serendipity. It had the reputation of being exceedingly crowded with long waiting lines, but we decided to give it a go. It took us at least 45 minutes to walk there and we were rejoicing because there was no line out in front! We rejoiced too soon, however, because inside we were told to put our names on the list and come back in three hours...

"What to do for three hours? We looked around for somewhere to go and decided to try a restaurant called Cabana Nuevo Latino. It was, as everywhere else we had been thus far, jammed with people, talking, laughing, drinking and eating. We carved out a spot for ourselves at the bar and waited for a table. I had a mojito, Jessica had a virgin mojito. The food was really worth the wait. Jessica's ropa viejo (shredded beef) was served with black bean puree and rice. My paella was devine. We took our time, enjoying the food and ambiance and ambled back over to Serendipity. By now, our wait time had dwindled to about half an hour and finally we were seated upstairs. Sadly, we couldn't finish much of our dessert, but what we had was delectible. They are famous for their Frrrozen Hot Chocolate (kind of like an icy chocolate milk shake with whipping cream and chocolate shavings, served in a huge dessert bowl with a spoon and a straw.) It was very tasty and I was plotting how to duplicate it at home. Jessica loved the eclectic decor. Everywhere one looked there were funky chandeliers, mirrors, antique lighting fixtures, moldings. It was a great place and I could understand it's popularity."

Gpence, if you decide to try the restaurant we went to here is the website:
http://www.cabanarestaurant.com/locations.html

Sep 16th, 2008, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Maggi: I enjoyed visiting your blog spot and seeing your beautiful family! Thank you for sharing. We leave for New York on Wednesday. It has a little tense because we were supposed to be in Houston, however "Ike" changed our plans. Terrie and I are flying out of Intercontinental in Houston and I am in Arlington, Texas. I purchased a ticket from DFW to IAH and hopefully the first flight is on time and the other flight goes out. I think that they started flying again yesterday.

Our trip is shaping up nicely. We are arriving at noon, taking a taxi to the hotel, going to ground zero then over to walk the Brooklyn Bridge. From there we are taking a taxi to a restaurant that just opened. My daughter has made reservations and then we will walk over to the Pinkberry nearby.

That covers day one. At the urging of my youngest son/child. We bought tickets to see "Fuertzabruta" at 7:00 Saturday night. He said that his friends have RAVED about it. Hopefully we won't be too worn out from our busy week and shopping all day.

I will report back when we return.

Thank you all for your wonderful ideas. I am printing them all out and taking them with me.

Ciao
Sep 16th, 2008, 08:29 AM

Thanks, gpence! Have a great time and can't wait to hear about it when you return. We have not yet done the Brooklyn Bridge walk - next time! I hadn't heard about "Fuertzabruta" and just read up on it. Sounds fascinating -Cirque de Solei-ish? Reminds me of a show I took my niece to called "Slava's Snowshow" which was also very abstract. Don't know if that's still playing there.
Maggi