Fort Myers area question

Search

Fort Myers area question

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2017, 03:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fort Myers area question

Hi - I'm in fort Myers for the next few days and wondered if it's worth a drive to Naples or the Everglades. Is it too far?
Old May 15th, 2017, 04:28 AM

Both are easily done as day trips. If it is worthwhile depends on what you find interesting.

But have you done some of the closer sites, Edison winter home/lab, Sanibel/Ding Darling, Corkscrew Swamp etc?
Old May 15th, 2017, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

I haven't heard of those but I should mention I have three kids (10,8, and 6) . Was hoping to see some dolphins or alligators on this trip but it doesn't seem like they're nearby. We were going to do a trip to sanibel too.
Old May 15th, 2017, 04:48 AM

Ding Darling is on Sanibel and we've always seen alligators there. Dolphins have also often been in the water in the Fort Myers/Sanibel area, but being wild and free it is hit or miss. Alligators are all over the area and be sure to keep the kids away from them, they grabbed one at a Disney property a short time ago.

Corkscrew Swamp is an Audubon area with a raised walkway through a cypress swamp. We saw an alligator grab a bird there.
Old May 15th, 2017, 05:34 AM

With kids I'd definitely do some of the more nature-oriented trips rather than visit Naples. There is great shelling on Sanibel. You'll see lots of gorgeous birds at Ding Darling there. Corkscrew sanctuary will also call to the kids. While it would be really great to see alligators or dolphins or manatees, I think the kids will also enjoy the smaller varieties of wildlife.

Matlacha close to the Fort Myers area and is in the midst of lots of natural, protected waters and if you think the kids are old enough you could do a kayak tour (our grandkids in this age group love kayaking). I did a 2 second google search for kayak rentals and came up with this recommendation from tripadvisor:

"This is a great way to get out on the water in this area. We took the Mangrove Maze Eco tour with Jim on May 1, and it was the best kayak tour we've been on over the last few years. We were in a mix of open water and mangrove 'maze', so we were lucky to see an eagle and an osprey duking it out over food, dolphins, rays, large and tiny fish, crabs, all kinds of birds, mangroves, seagrass, etc. We learned about the importance of mangroves and the lifecycle of shrimp. This is a particularly good tour business to consider for pre-teens and teens because Jim talked about safety and showed us the equipment he brings on each trip and he stressed choice and personal responsibility. From the beginning till the end Jim showed us different choices we could make to go out and come back safely on a very sunny and windy day. Jim taught us how to kayak with the least effort and how to manage different conditions just before we went into a new type of area. My tips: wear lots of sunscreen and cover those legs with a light towel! Take some cold, cut-up fruit to eat - it will taste great halfway through the trip. Don't worry if it's windy - Jim will teach you ways to return confidently and safely with the group. This was FUN - don't miss it!"
Old May 15th, 2017, 06:08 AM

If you are looking for gators, take the kids to Smugglers Cove Golf Adventure on San Carlos. .. you can feed the gators and play mini golf. .. Kids love it. ..

There are also usually manatees near the docks in the Marina at Jensen Cottages and Marina on Captiva... it's near the Mucky Duck and Bubble Room, both great kids restaurants...

In Naples, Wiggins Pass State park offers a great beach, picnic opportunity, and dolphins and manatees...

Lovers key, south of ft myers, has a nature path worth a ride..

Havefun!
Old May 15th, 2017, 08:10 AM

I agree with the other community members, Sanibel is great for kids. There is also Marco Island, which is great for dolphins. Naples has a nice downtown area where you could walk, shop, nice restaurants, etc. - more for you than the kids Naples also has a couple beaches with restaurants on them where you and kids could eat and play on the beach.
Old May 15th, 2017, 09:13 AM

I double, triple? The vote for corkscrew swamp. I went there on a school field trip and still remember it's beauty years later. Check it out.
Old May 15th, 2017, 09:51 AM

It has been years since I have been to Fort Meyers. Twice I stayed at a hotel just across the bridge from Fort Meyers Beach at Lovers Key. The beach for the hotel was in a cove. We enjoyed watching dolphins almost every day.