Fort Lauderdale to the Keys

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be staying in Fort Lauderdale this summer and I was wondering if there were any boat cruises that go from Ft. Lauderdale to the Keys. We originally were going to take a day trip to the Bahamas but we have not heard good things about the day cruise. Any helpful information about getting to the Keys?
Old Jun 14th, 2008, 03:59 AM

Most people drive to the Keys because it is nice to have a car there.
If that doesn't work for you, there is a Keys Shuttle. I know it picks up at the Ft. Lauderdale airport (search "FLorida keys shuttle"). There is a boat that goes from Miami to Key West.
For either of these last two options , I would make it at least one overnight trip to Key West. It's a long way for a day trip.
Old Jun 14th, 2008, 09:12 AM

Driving to Key West is a beautiful trip once you pass Tavernier. It takes 3.5 to 4 hours and you should make time to walk on at least one of the pedestrian bridges. My favorite is the 7 mile bridge, walking out to Pigeon Key.

When you pass Florida City, take the Card Sound exit to the left and cross the toll bridge. At the T turn right and catch Hwy 1 again in Key Largo. Construction from Fl City to Key Largo is a nuisance and possible to have a lengthy delay,

Other threads on this board discuss stops to take along the way.
Old Jun 14th, 2008, 02:00 PM

http://www.seakeywestexpress.com/Default.htm

I think this is the boat keymom mentioned. My neighbors took it last year, but I never heard back from them how they liked it. It sounds like a good idea to me, especially if you are planning to spend all your time in Key West, because once you get there, you don't need a car to get around.
Old Jun 15th, 2008, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

This was extremely helpful - thank you all! We may drive to Key Largo to snorkel but we did not want to drive all the way to Key West, have fun all day and then have to drive all the way home. The shuttle is a great option.

Thanks again!
Old Jun 15th, 2008, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

One note: The Miami/Key West shuttle does not run through the summer. No worries though...