Red River, New Mexico

Search

Red River, New Mexico

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red River, New Mexico

Does anyone have any useful comments about this town? I'm thinking of adding it to our NM trip at the end of May. I went there as a child, but that was ages ago so I'm wondering what it's like now. Thanks!
Old Mar 5th, 2008, 09:08 AM

Hi -- We really like Red River. We go there about every 2 or 3 years. It's a very small town, basically one main street and then a few side streets. It's got probably eight or ten restaurants, although no familiar "name-brand" fast food places. We stay at Edelweiss Condos, which are quite nice and have a great heated pool. It will still be cool there at the end of May, so bring a jacket!
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 10:35 AM

Would you be sacrificing a night in Santa Fe or Taos to stay in Red River?

If so, I'd say don't do it. Instead, you could do the Enchanted Loop from and back to Taos (or Santa Fe) as a day-trip. That would probably give you enough of Red River, and some other beautiful scenery as well.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Oh wow! I think we stayed at the Edelweiss condos in 1977!

I'm thinking about 3 nights in Santa Fe, 2-3 in Taos, 2-3 in Red River and a night at the sand dunes in southern CO. We live in northern CO so Red River is sorta on the way home.
Old Mar 11th, 2008, 11:49 AM

Great Sand Dunes is absolutley wonderful. The drive from Taos isn't too bad either.
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

We spent 2 nights in Red River at this place.
Ponderosa Lodge
http://www.redrivernm.com/ponderosa/
eh... It was ok. There are lots of fairly cheap and dumpy places to stay in RR and this is just one of them.

I wasn't that thrilled with Red River, to be honest. The town isn't much of a town, just businesses along a 4 lane highway. It might be good as a base for outdoor activities, but IMO there are many many nicer mountain towns.
Old Jun 15th, 2008, 07:49 AM

My husband and I drove the Enchanted loop from Santa Fe and all the way around through Las Vegas, New Mexico a couple of years ago. We had planned to spend one night on the road in the Angel Fire area but when we got there, there was not much to do for that short time and it was pretty deserted so we decided to drive on to Santa Fe. Anyway, it can be done in a day and you can spend some time in Red River. We stopped there for lunch and took a ride on the ski thing up to the top. It was very nice. Other than that, we just drove and enjoyed the scenery of the area. There were quite a few kids riding bikes up the mountain.